Help me select a Q

I thoroughly enjoyed that introduction. That being said, it never occurred to me to have a "one does it all" cooker. I've got to have toys, and I like to update.

BUT if it was me, I'd go the Klose Outdoor Kitchen (or a similar model by one of the excellent southern pit makers), THEN I would have a custom cart with a s-m-l Ceramic cookers built in- THEN I would have a Webber Ranch Kettle.

Honestly brother, if you don't spend it, and quickly, those three teenage girls are going to spend it for you. THEN, come back and we will help you build a Mini WSM out of a Smokey Joe Silver you found at Goodwill with minor rust.

Oldyote has one of those Tombstone Pits from Arizona BBQ grills. I believe he loves it. You should PM him and ask him his thoughts.

I do like the idea of having a smoker and a Santa Maria style cooker, that should definitely impress the guests. You could always buy them as separate units. Maybe a stick burner from Klose and the Santa Maria from AZBBQ. I would seriously consider getting in touch with TuscaloosaQ and talking to him about a Shirley Fab pit. They look fantastic.

Personally, I think if you want to impress folks with BBQ you should do it over charcoal and wood. If you want a gas grill just buy a Weber. You should probably do that anyway. I surely love mine.

You could also get a Kamado Big Joe or like a primo xl (ceramic bbq) these grills last forever and make a nice patio ornament. This and a dedicated smoker would be a better option IMHO

My cattle call is definitely the 2nd one...

You live in LA and got 170 head of cattle next door?

Is that like this?

images

Or like this?
gal-land-With-over-300-models-at-the-casting--cattle-call--there-is-a-lot-of-competition--and-waiting--9--600x400.jpg

Welcome Fillmer.

Have you thought about a nice set up of two xl big green eggs? I would spend the money on a nice outdoor kitchen with a drop in gas grill.

I am in the process of building my outdoor kitchen which will have a sink, 36" gas grill, fridge, big green egg, and a side burner. All my appliances were about $2500, Granite Counter about $6500, and paver walls for kitchen about 4k. I realize thats a little over what you are budgeting, but with ten acres you could build a really nice outdoor kitchen area that would double as an outdoor entertainment area as opposed to buying a huge smoker that will be too much to use for run of the mill family dinner nights. Just my .02

Lol, I am from NYC, so I am not a born-n-bred southerner raised on low and slow bbq, so I understand where you are coming from as a beginner......

TGJ,

I want you to know, I just now (tonight) revisited this forum and found your post. When someone takes the time to write such a great and detailed post, it's nice to be thanked promptly...so please excuse my delay and accept a HUGE Thank You for such outstanding info!!!!!!

For what it's worth, I've been spending endless hours running romex in a desperate rush to be ready for the drywaller, who came today....so I'm back on BBQ-Quest again now.

So okay, I'm modifying that old say into: "Be careful what you ask about, you may learn a lot more then you bargained for"...in short, you just turned my BBQ world upside down...you went and confused me with the facts! Seriously, I've got to completely re-assess what I'm looking to do and to what extent, lengths and practiciality I'm willing to extend myself to achieve it....but hey, this is how the process works in life!

I've repeatedly read and re-read everything you explained. Here are my thoughts given my enlightenment.

The BBQ I'm looking to buy (and we're discussing) I'm not making this my only BBQ. Immediately off the kitchen, on the patio, I'll have a 42" to 48" gasser BBQ which is where I'll do grilling. It'll be propane and may even have a cute little smoke box, this will be the BBQ my wife and kids can use and probably our standard go-to for burgers, roasting corn, hot dogs and casual quick use. This is direct heat, it's a grill.

The Big Bad BBQ that everyone expects to see on a ranch/farm...that's what I'm looking to figure out and to that here are my thoughts:

Burning wood...sounds "romantic" but almost impractical if I'm not ready/willing to deal with the learning curve and staying on top of things. Creosote'ing the meat, hourly attention to the fire/wood, a lack of ability to play host and show people around the place while also trying to tend to the BBQ...this is not sounding practical....but it is something I'd like to take-on. To that end I've seen several units that have a vertical smoker on the side of the grill, such as this unit from Klose...which is now my current forerunner/candidate:

20&24x60Master_Chefs2013.jpg

Please correct me if I'm wrong but using the vertical smoker portion of this unit I'd be authenically slow-cooking the meat and should be able to produce some great results. When I previously spoke with Dave Klose he said I can use either wood OR charcoal in the firebox...so this gives me some versatility. Also, I can have a propane burner to help get the fire started (as you mentioned). Seems like this will afford me entry into the world of authentic BBQ...but some questions:

In looking at the picture we can see a large grill between the smoker and the offset firebox...and here's where I'm a bit confused. Is this basically a large chamber where meat is indirectly cooked/smoked but at a higher temperature then what's in the vertical smoker?? In short, I don't quite 'get' the difference between the vertical smoker section and the horizontal grill section other then the obvious lower temp in the vertical section. I was told it's also a good place to put meat to stay warm.

What I think I understand about the horizontal grill section is that it can be loaded with charcoal and direct grilling can be done on it, the firebox then becomes optional or something to infuse a bit of smoke flavor?

My thinking is that I'd put the chicken or meat into the vertical smoker and let it go for several hours to break down all the fibers, soften the meat and infuse a smoke flavor....but in the end I still want to fire-up a hot grill and put some sear marks on the meat and then move to a cooler section of the grill and baste a thick coat of tasty BBQ sauce over the meat before serving. This is how I imagine it.

Bear in mind, we may have large parties where I need to cook 40-100 burgers and hot dogs...so I'm still looking for a darn large grill that can provide that. I really don't want an enormous grill that is strictly for slow cooking. From what I gather this unit can do both...indirect slow cooking OR loaded with charcoal for direct cooking?

Now...my 'thing' with charcoal. My limited experience with charcoal is that you dump the bag into your Weber, hit it with some lighter fluid, light it and wait until it's hot enough. Once hot it can get too hot and in a short period of time the heat runs out and now you have a mess to deal with. If people show up late or you want to cook more burgers, you have to somehow remove the burned-out charcoals and load some more and wait again for it to get hot. This is why I've always liked/preferred the gassers....you just crank 'em up and go...want it cooler, turn it down...want it hotter, crank it up. Screw charcoal, eh? So I'm thinking I may want to make that huge grill propane as well...but then I was told that all the venting required for gas would let too much heat/smoke out for the slow-cooking process, so they only want to put propane under half the grill...so I don't know. Seems like trying to get a unit to do ALL things is a compromise no matter how you cut it...but here's where you'll explain something that'll enlighten me further and help me navigate this issue.

To go epic novel length....what's the deal with the 'Santa Maria' style grill....you have a large wheel that lifts/lowers a rack over a bed of charcoal, right? There's no smoking or slow cooking, this is just direct heat provided by charcoal. Whereas the large grill shown in the pic above can be loaded with charcoal and direct cooking can be done, but it's mostly used for indirect cooking with heat/smoke provided by the firebox attached on the right. No rack is raised/lowered as the Santa Maria does.

Me a bit confused :doh: but checking facts :bow:

Have you thought about a nice set up of two xl big green eggs?

No, I'm straight... :becky:

Friends don't let friends buy big green eggs :sick:

I don't care how great that thing might turn-out food, I ain't putting no modern yuppy 'egg' on my ranch. And I don't serve drinks with little umbrella's either. And I tell my wife I'm trying to conserve water when I piss in the bushes instead of the toilet.

Nahh dude, I'm just messing with you. But seriously, it's a ranch and we may cater some parties...I'm looking for something that can produce some quantity, something big and wicked-cool. Way wicked. But capacity is important.

In fact, imagine the most incredible, huge and amazing grill you could conceivably fathom, something so epic that it would redefine BBQ'ing as we know it...then multiply it by 5

:doh: okay, I ripped-off Will Ferrel on that humor

I am in the process of building my outdoor kitchen which will have a sink, 36" gas grill, fridge, big green egg, and a side burner. All my appliances were about $2500, Granite Counter about $6500, and paver walls for kitchen about 4k.

I'm right there with ya Bro. At my main home I did the 48" DCS, microwave, oven, stove top, dishwasher, double sink, garbage disposal, frig/freezer, TV and all granite countertops...I even have a big iron triangle to call people for dinner. It's a good thing in the right way!

Personally, I think if you want to impress folks with BBQ you should do it over charcoal and wood. If you want a gas grill just buy a Weber. You should probably do that anyway. I surely love mine.

It's not so much that I want to impress folks, I'm looking for something that looks the part. We have our place up for 'location use' so we're trying to create a certain look & appearance.

I would seriously consider getting in touch with TuscaloosaQ and talking to him about a Shirley Fab pit. They look fantastic.

Good call, I'll give them a shout come Monday. I also called Pitts & Spitts and they too assure me they can build me whatever I'm looking for. The real clincher is, can they build me something that looks great AND functions properly. My concern is that if I step outside the regular build it may change things....but a good manufacturer should be able to roll and account with design changes.

I just got a pitmaker safe and couldn't be happier. I am personally a fan of vertical insulated smokers. They require the least amount of attention, low Fule consumption, small foot print and large capacity.

Absolutely, at this point I'm definitely looking to have a vertical smoker as part of the unit. If you read upwards at the last pic I attached to a post you can see a grill that has a large vertical smoker on the left side. Good plan, thanks!

Maybe a weber smokey mountain 22" I heard they are good but I love my weber kettles I buy old rusted ones to save from hot dogs. They are not impressive and look tame but they can rival more expensive set ups easily. As long as you know what you are doing. It takes a bit of practice but it is really set it and forget it once you get the hang of it. Looks don't always mean great bbq. My charbroil barrel grill looks awesome but is not very good but my kettles look boring but will produce some of the best bbq

Interesting situation.......

If you're needing something that looks good, not an immense learning curve & will do a goodly load of food for a large party, this may be the ticket ( w/ the add-ons listed lower in the ad)

http://www.pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=46116274

....that being said, you can do big loads on Weber kettles like Rusty says.....just nowheres near as pretty......

Jan29Danaedad064.jpg

75 ~ 8oz. portions on 5 kettles.....slept thru most of it..........

My charbroil barrel grill looks awesome but is not very good but my kettles look boring but will produce some of the best bbq

True that...some great-looking stuff doesn't perform as well as some simple tried n' true units. The unit I'm looking at is made by Klose, which is a notoriously righteous manufacturer...but good call!

Interesting situation.......

If you're needing something that looks good, not an immense learning curve & will do a goodly load of food for a large party, this may be the ticket ( w/ the add-ons listed lower in the ad)

http://www.pitmaker.com/product/vin/?vin=46116274

Good call, but that unit is $4,350 and for $4,050 I can get this...and it's the same thing but LARGER :)

Pitt's n' Spitts:'

30x60-up-smoker.jpg

TGJ,

I want you to know, I just now (tonight) revisited this forum and found your post. When someone takes the time to write such a great and detailed post, it's nice to be thanked promptly...so please excuse my delay and accept a HUGE Thank You for such outstanding info!!!!!!

For what it's worth, I've been spending endless hours running romex in a desperate rush to be ready for the drywaller, who came today....so I'm back on BBQ-Quest again now.

So okay, I'm modifying that old say into: "Be careful what you ask about, you may learn a lot more then you bargained for"...in short, you just turned my BBQ world upside down...you went and confused me with the facts! Seriously, I've got to completely re-assess what I'm looking to do and to what extent, lengths and practiciality I'm willing to extend myself to achieve it....but hey, this is how the process works in life!

I've repeatedly read and re-read everything you explained. Here are my thoughts given my enlightenment.

The BBQ I'm looking to buy (and we're discussing) I'm not making this my only BBQ. Immediately off the kitchen, on the patio, I'll have a 42" to 48" gasser BBQ which is where I'll do grilling. It'll be propane and may even have a cute little smoke box, this will be the BBQ my wife and kids can use and probably our standard go-to for burgers, roasting corn, hot dogs and casual quick use. This is direct heat, it's a grill.

The Big Bad BBQ that everyone expects to see on a ranch/farm...that's what I'm looking to figure out and to that here are my thoughts:

Burning wood...sounds "romantic" but almost impractical if I'm not ready/willing to deal with the learning curve and staying on top of things. Creosote'ing the meat, hourly attention to the fire/wood, a lack of ability to play host and show people around the place while also trying to tend to the BBQ...this is not sounding practical....but it is something I'd like to take-on. To that end I've seen several units that have a vertical smoker on the side of the grill, such as this unit from Klose...which is now my current forerunner/candidate:

View attachment 92541

Please correct me if I'm wrong but using the vertical smoker portion of this unit I'd be authenically slow-cooking the meat and should be able to produce some great results. When I previously spoke with Dave Klose he said I can use either wood OR charcoal in the firebox...so this gives me some versatility. Also, I can have a propane burner to help get the fire started (as you mentioned). Seems like this will afford me entry into the world of authentic BBQ...but some questions:

In looking at the picture we can see a large grill between the smoker and the offset firebox...and here's where I'm a bit confused. Is this basically a large chamber where meat is indirectly cooked/smoked but at a higher temperature then what's in the vertical smoker?? In short, I don't quite 'get' the difference between the vertical smoker section and the horizontal grill section other then the obvious lower temp in the vertical section. I was told it's also a good place to put meat to stay warm.

What I think I understand about the horizontal grill section is that it can be loaded with charcoal and direct grilling can be done on it, the firebox then becomes optional or something to infuse a bit of smoke flavor?

My thinking is that I'd put the chicken or meat into the vertical smoker and let it go for several hours to break down all the fibers, soften the meat and infuse a smoke flavor....but in the end I still want to fire-up a hot grill and put some sear marks on the meat and then move to a cooler section of the grill and baste a thick coat of tasty BBQ sauce over the meat before serving. This is how I imagine it.

Bear in mind, we may have large parties where I need to cook 40-100 burgers and hot dogs...so I'm still looking for a darn large grill that can provide that. I really don't want an enormous grill that is strictly for slow cooking. From what I gather this unit can do both...indirect slow cooking OR loaded with charcoal for direct cooking?

Now...my 'thing' with charcoal. My limited experience with charcoal is that you dump the bag into your Weber, hit it with some lighter fluid, light it and wait until it's hot enough. Once hot it can get too hot and in a short period of time the heat runs out and now you have a mess to deal with. If people show up late or you want to cook more burgers, you have to somehow remove the burned-out charcoals and load some more and wait again for it to get hot. This is why I've always liked/preferred the gassers....you just crank 'em up and go...want it cooler, turn it down...want it hotter, crank it up. Screw charcoal, eh? So I'm thinking I may want to make that huge grill propane as well...but then I was told that all the venting required for gas would let too much heat/smoke out for the slow-cooking process, so they only want to put propane under half the grill...so I don't know. Seems like trying to get a unit to do ALL things is a compromise no matter how you cut it...but here's where you'll explain something that'll enlighten me further and help me navigate this issue.

To go epic novel length....what's the deal with the 'Santa Maria' style grill....you have a large wheel that lifts/lowers a rack over a bed of charcoal, right? There's no smoking or slow cooking, this is just direct heat provided by charcoal. Whereas the large grill shown in the pic above can be loaded with charcoal and direct cooking can be done, but it's mostly used for indirect cooking with heat/smoke provided by the firebox attached on the right. No rack is raised/lowered as the Santa Maria does.

Me a bit confused :doh: but checking facts :bow:

No worries man, my pleasure. I have taken a lot form this site, so I am happy to contribute where I can as well.

Ok, what you are looking at with that cooker is just a smoker that combines 2 smoking units in 1. You have the standard horizontal offset pit, and a vertical pit as well. Both are smokers, and neither is suited for grilling. BUT, there is a rack that goes over the firebox that you can use for grilling, but it is not particularly large as the firebox is only 20x20. A benefit of having this unit with both the vertical and horizontal units is capacity and flexibility. Verticals are great for large capacity in a small footprint, but horizontals allow you to do big stuff like whole hogs. Also, some people use the vertical section as a warming/holding cabinet. You could use charcoal instead of logs, but I don't know about how much you would need to be shoveling in there and how often. You would NOT be putting charcoal in that main horizontal cook chamber. The fire goes in the firebox, and from there the heat is distributed to both the horizontal and vertical cooking chambers. So regardless of whichever cooking chamber you are using, the fire and heat source is in the firebox. If somebody is telling you that you could just load up the main cooking area with coal, I am thinking they are just trying to sell a unit and not really explaining how the pit operates and if it is right for you.

Your talk about charcoal. Most here would advise against lighter fluid, but then there are pros like Myron Mixon who use it all the time. What you want to use is a chimney starter or a propane weed burner. If you build a good base of ashy white coals, the fire should last a while. You increase or decrease temps by playing with the air vents. With a little practice it gets easy. That said, nothing beats the convenience of gas. It's all about tradeoffs and what works for you.

Santa Maria is the style of grilling which has its roots in South America. I was introduced to this on a trip to Argentina. It is traditionally wood but charcoal can be used. You raise and lower the grates to control the cooking temp. You aren't smoking, but you are getting some smoke flavor from cooking over a wood fire. You are starting to see some high end live fire restaurants putting these units in. The link in my first post here is a company that makes some fantastic units that are being used in restaurants. It is on my wish list some day to have one of these. And yes, this style of cooking is different from the smoker you pictured, there is no fire under that food in that large cook chamber and those racks do not move up or down. On that smoker, you are increasing and decreasing temps by way of vents for air supply into the firebox and the exhaust vents where the heat leaves.

Tell me if I am wrong here but I think this is your list of needs from what I have read,

Something large and impressive for guests.
Something relatively easy to use and not requiring constant attention.
Larger capacity.
Grilling area optional.

I think the guys over at Pitmaker.com have some stuff you may dig. Their vertical vault smokers are definitely among the most eye catching with their insulated walls that they can paint in any color with automotive paint and graphics. Your ranch logo would look great on one. They are charcoal cookers and can be ordered with a bbq guru digital draft control unit. This gives you a quality cooker that you can get cooking on quickly, and if you want to really teach yourself fire management you can just disconnect the guru controller. The capacity is pretty decent as well. I know you mentioned not wanting a trailer, but the trailers they make are very badass, with all the custom options and colors. You could outfit a trailer with both a vault for low and slow cooking, and one of their charcoal grill meister grills. Or, you could go for their really loaded configurations that have a vault smoker, the grill, and an offset horizontal sniper smoker.

Here is a video of one of their rigs with that vault/grill configuration:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-GLLhqfjuM"]Ultimate BBQ Showdown Trailer! - YouTube[/ame]

Here is video of the grill meister, you would use this for hotter grilling, and it could be used to slower cook by dropping the coal basket.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpCQyK2RMZc"]Best Charcoal Grill Ever! - YouTube[/ame]

Some video of the Vault loaded up with 18 briskets.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5WAJAzJG5Q"]BBQ Smoker loaded with 18 full sized beef briskets! Cooking with Wine and the BBQ Vault! - YouTube[/ame]

I'd carefully peruse the pitmaker site as they have options for grilling and smoking, both vertical and horizontal, and their stuff is definitely the most eye catching in bbq fabrication.

You could also call the guys at yoder smokers. They are another quality shop that does a lot of custom stuff. On their site or facebook page I saw where they even did a propane pit.

BTW, if you are ever considering upgrading your propane gassers, check out crown verity, that is what I use for grilling for my events, and I can always get my 30-40% discount from the manufacturer for brethren. I started out as a customer and now they sponsor tailgatejoe.com. They are at the top of the professional commercial propane grill market.

True that...some great-looking stuff doesn't perform as well as some simple tried n' true units. The unit I'm looking at is made by Klose, which is a notoriously righteous manufacturer...but good call!

Good call, but that unit is $4,350 and for $4,050 I can get this...and it's the same thing but LARGER :)

Pitt's n' Spitts:'

View attachment 92542

In the interest of being of assistance & also clarity.....

"I can get this...and it's the same thing but LARGER :)
Pitt's n' Spitts:"

The page I picked for Pitmaker is a vertical cabinet w/ a vertical grill to the side......the Pits'n' Spits is offset, in other words the fire is built 'offset' to the side of the cooking area........they are somewhat different animals...........
With the Vault, the heat source is directly underneath, perhaps a bit more efficient & (most likely) a lot easier to get thru the learning curve (especially with the fan / controller add-on) & to producing hi quality food sooner.........

Pits 'n' Spits are real good cookers, Yoder are real good cookers, Klose are real good cookers.....the reason I suggested Pitmaker was after seeing the description of 'dump a bag on a Weber & soak with fluid, then have heat / fire management problems', thought it might be to your advantage to get something that's a smoother learning deal, would still look sharp & have pretty good capacity......

Listen to TailGateJoe he has excellent descriptions not only of how these thing work, but more likely has better 1st hand knowledge than a goofball like me.......:heh:

The page I picked for Pitmaker is a vertical cabinet w/ a vertical grill to the side......the Pits'n' Spits is offset, in other words the fire is built 'offset' to the side of the cooking area........they are somewhat different animals...........
With the Vault, the heat source is directly underneath, perhaps a bit more efficient & (most likely) a lot easier to get thru the learning curve (especially with the fan / controller add-on) & to producing hi quality food sooner.........

Pits 'n' Spits are real good cookers, Yoder are real good cookers, Klose are real good cookers.....the reason I suggested Pitmaker was after seeing the description of 'dump a bag on a Weber & soak with fluid, then have heat / fire management problems', thought it might be to your advantage to get something that's a smoother learning deal, would still look sharp & have pretty good capacity......

Listen to TailGateJoe he has excellent descriptions not only of how these thing work, but more likely has better 1st hand knowledge than a goofball like me.......:heh:

I agree with everything here, except about my opinions being any better. :thumb:

The page I picked for Pitmaker is a vertical cabinet w/ a vertical grill to the side......with the Vault, the heat source is directly underneath, perhaps a bit more efficient & (most likely) a lot easier to get thru the learning curve (especially with the fan / controller add-on) & to producing hi quality food sooner.........

Hmmm, I see...while both units are similar they're still different animals. I'm learnign here.

As for advice, I'm all ears and ready/willing to listen to whatever anyone has to offer. Unless it's my mother inlaw, I'm not interested in anything she has to say. :doh:

Joe,

This is all REALLY great information, I think I'm getting a solid grasp on how everything works and how I could apply it to my own needs...or at least I think I'm finding clarity and direction in the information.

Allow me to delve into some of your info:

Ok, what you are looking at with that cooker is just a smoker that combines 2 smoking units in 1. You have the standard horizontal offset pit, and a vertical pit as well. Both are smokers, and neither is suited for grilling.

You would NOT be putting charcoal in that main horizontal cook chamber. The fire goes in the firebox, and from there the heat is distributed to both the horizontal and vertical cooking chambers. So regardless of whichever cooking chamber you are using, the fire and heat source is in the firebox.

Got it, neither smoker is for grilling. It's just that a horizontal smoker looks like a grill and in some units the horizontal chamber is a grill (such as the Tombstone).

Up until this moment I had erroneously thought the horizontal unit could also be grilled on by placing coals directly underneath the grid. This was my gross misunderstanding.

So to be clear, the Tombstone is a vertical smoker with an attached grill. The owner of the shop told me the firebox is beneath the vertical smoker and it does not vent or do anything for the grill. The grill is a Santa Maria style grill with the lifting/lowering rack operated by the big wheel on the side (which I feel is a classic BBQ look for a ranch). So, just to confirm: some vertical smokers have GRILLS attached while other vertical smokers have a horizontal smoker attached.

A benefit of having this unit with both the vertical and horizontal units is capacity and flexibility. Verticals are great for large capacity in a small footprint, but horizontals allow you to do big stuff like whole hogs. Also, some people use the vertical section as a warming/holding cabinet.

Now this is something I'd really like to focus on and learn about; the difference between the horizontal smoker and vertical smoker. I'm hearing everything you're saying about capacity, footprint and using the vertical section as a warmer/holding cabinet...but Joe, how do they differ in terms of their performance? Would you cook differently on one versus the other?

I may be wrong here but the vertical smoker would seem to be an even slower cooker using lower temperatures? Then again, I've now seen 2 different styles of vertical smoker: units that have the firebox beneath the smoke chamber (as would a dedicted vertical smoker, like the BBQ Vault) OR units that have the horizontal chamber between the vertical smoker and firebox...such as the Klose or Pitt's unit....these units put the vertical smoker all the way on the opposite side of the horizontal chamber (some 72" away)...this configuration would seem to make the vertical smoker more so ideal for warming/holding but in so far as cooking I'd imagine we're talking temps around 135-170...and I'm guessing the in-between horizontal chamber is upwards of the 200's??

I'm asking the same question in a different format, but what is the difference between a guy using a dedicated vertical smoker and the guy using a horizontal smoker with an offset firebox...or for that matter the firebox centered and beneath the main chamber vs. offset? I'd love some clarification on this....thanks!!

You would NOT be putting charcoal in that main horizontal cook chamber. The fire goes in the firebox, and from there the heat is distributed to both the horizontal and vertical cooking chambers. So regardless of whichever cooking chamber you are using, the fire and heat source is in the firebox. If somebody is telling you that you could just load up the main cooking area with coal, I am thinking they are just trying to sell a unit and not really explaining how the pit operates and if it is right for you.

Here again, my gross misunderstanding. In the case of the tombstone or Santa Maria the grill does get charcoal...but with a horizontal smoker there is no charcoal or heat source in the main chamer....as you explain, it's offset to the side or perhaps below the chamer in a seperate firebox. Got it! :biggrin1:

Your talk about charcoal. Most here would advise against lighter fluid, but then there are pros like Myron Mixon who use it all the time. What you want to use is a chimney starter or a propane weed burner. If you build a good base of ashy white coals, the fire should last a while. You increase or decrease temps by playing with the air vents. With a little practice it gets easy. That said, nothing beats the convenience of gas. It's all about tradeoffs and what works for you.

What's become evident to me is that my very limited experience with charcoal was loading some into an open grill and setting it ablaze...because it got a lot of air, it got really hot and burned-out quickly. I now understand that regulating the air entirely affects the rate of burn and temperature.

Santa Maria is the style of grilling which has its roots in South America. I was introduced to this on a trip to Argentina. It is traditionally wood but charcoal can be used. You raise and lower the grates to control the cooking temp.

My repeated reference to Santa Maria is entirely based on the long horizontal axle that runs over the grill and has large wheels that go on each side, IMO it has a classic large BBQ look...it's merely a visual feature that I envision as being part of the Ultimate BBQ set-up.

Tell me if I am wrong here but I think this is your list of needs from what I have read,

Something large and impressive for guests.
Something relatively easy to use and not requiring constant attention.
Larger capacity.
Grilling area optional.

Large & impressive...yes, because we'll occassionally use the place for location use (movies, commercials, videos, etc)...and a large unit has the quinessential ranch look...it's not just another Weber on the porch. I don't mean to sound superficial but I'm shooting for something that prompts my fellow buddies to say to each other "Dude, you gotta checkout that BBQ"...I want it to be a prominent feature of the place. We can also substitute 'large & impressive' with functional, well made, professional and "makes amazing food".

Something relatively easy to use and not requiring constant attention. Yes and no, I'm not looking for something extremely involved and requiring a lot of time and learning curve...but I'm not scared by having to do some work; anything worth having doesn't come easy! Seems like the Guru-device could make things a lot easier and take an otherwise high-maintenance unit into the realm of something more practical.

Larger capacity. Hells yes!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cool: I'm looking for something where envious people will accuse me of compensating for something or having a mid-life crisis. I'm thinking about a sign over the BBQ that reads "You can crash my truck, beat my dog, smack my wife and even steal my money...but do NOT touch my BBQ". I suspect you see where I'm going with this. :loco:

Grilling area optional. Uh, no...having given it some thought, I'm definitely going to need a super-large grilling area. When we harvest a lot of corn and want to serve it up....or have to serve hamburgers and hot dogs for some 180 people, I'm gonna need me a big-ass grill....and I'm even thinking a big gasser would be the most simple way to go.

Joe, all things considered and much based on your input and info, here is what I'm thinking at this point:

The Daily Driver...on the porch directly outside the kitchen...a 36" Crown Verity, this unit is something the wife, kids and anyone can use. It'll be a gasser and serve for weekday cooking, grilling and what-not. Simple, easy and everything I'm familiar with.

The Big Bad Boy....(what we're talking about here). I'm thinking TWO components set in the same brick enclosure. First unit, a really nice vertical smoker, the Pitmaker BBQ Vault you showed me looks AMAZING, it has 5 racks that each measure 22"x25", sealed door and a stainless steel water reservoir to keep things moist/flavorful. I'm thinking this will be my smoker. This is where I'll take it old-school authentic and have a bit of a learning curve to get it right. The size, appearance, performance...everything adds-up. Seems to me I could smoke some chicken for several hours and perhaps finish it off on a high-temp grill for some sear lines and then move to a low-temp section of the grill to finish it with basted layers of rich BBQ sauce. So this is my smoker. Even though the Klose or Pitt's unit looks great, I don't see why I'd need both a vertical smoker and a horizontal smoker with offset firebox...seems to me I have the capacity and everything with the BBQ Vault, please advise if I'm missing anything.

Next component, instead of a large horizontal chamber with an offset firebox, I'd instead opt for a huge grill...and why not go with a gasser? I might be able to get funky with a wood-chip tray to get some smoke action going...but for the most part I'm looking for that large (or HUGE) grill that can do the burgers, dogs, corn and even chicken. Don't laugh but I'm back to another Crown Verity

Crown V72.jpg

So there you go.....I've got the smoking cover with an awesome stunning beautiful impressive Pitts BBQ Vault that should be able to churn-out smoked meats after doing some learning...and then next to it a massive 72" grill for the corn, burgers, etc.

I don't need a deep fryer, I don't want a large wok, I don't think I need any other cooking accessories/appliances beyond the smoker and grill. Okay, maybe a stove top for a pot or two...but this would all fall into the area where I'll put a sink, small microwave or other stuff. Focusing on the BBQ needs I think we got this figured out....but, is there ANY reason I might want to get a horizontal smoker in addition to the BBQ Vault??? I don't see it....I think the Vault has me covered.

I think the guys over at Pitmaker.com have some stuff you may dig. Their vertical vault smokers are definitely among the most eye catching with their insulated walls that they can paint in any color with automotive paint and graphics. Your ranch logo would look great on one. They are charcoal cookers and can be ordered with a bbq guru digital draft control unit. This gives you a quality cooker that you can get cooking on quickly, and if you want to really teach yourself fire management you can just disconnect the guru controller. The capacity is pretty decent as well.

And this is exactly what sold me on the BBQ Vault, I think you're bang-on correct!! :biggrin1:

Or, you could go for their really loaded configurations that have a vault smoker, the grill, and an offset horizontal sniper smoker.

If I have a Vault...why would I want/need a sniper smoker?? Either way I'll give them a call

I know you mentioned not wanting a trailer, but the trailers they make are very badass, with all the custom options and colors.

A trailer? I dunno, it says "temporary" or even rented. I realize it means I could take the whole unit places (like if I got into competitions) but there's just something about a permanent install that speaks to me. It's almost like comparing a dough-boy above ground pool to a custom in-ground pool. I don't want people to think I rented the thing or worry about someone perhaps stealing it...I want something in brick and looking like it's an integral part of the ranch.

Here is a video of one of their rigs with that vault/grill configuration:
Ultimate BBQ Showdown Trailer! - YouTube

Yeah, I think you really nailed it on the head with this call Joe!! Just looking at that unit gives me goosebumps and something else the wife will have to help me with later. :rolleyes:

Pitts Grillmeister

Hmmm....interesting, but we're talking about charcoal again. Keep plenty in stock, wait for it to get hot, hope you cook everything before the heat runs out....definitely working with an operable window of cooking time...and then a lot of dust to clean up. I hate to wuss-out but given the awesome smoker on hand, I think I can roll with the propane for the grill...just too easy. Please let me know if my logic is bad. :loco:

I'd carefully peruse the pitmaker site as they have options for grilling and smoking, both vertical and horizontal, and their stuff is definitely the most eye catching in bbq fabrication.

Calling them tomorrow! :biggrin1: I'll be sure to tell them I'm interested in their Vault but would also like a large (5-foot plus) grill next to the vault...see what they offer. I bet they can build anything!

You could also call the guys at yoder smokers. They are another quality shop that does a lot of custom stuff. On their site or facebook page I saw where they even did a propane pit.

Joe, I think it's safe to say that I've safely divorced myself from the notion of having to have an all-in-one unit; I don't need the vault to have a grill attached. May as well get the best Vault with the best grill...the Pitts Vault is awesome and that 72" Crown-V also looks stunning. Don't roll your eyes too hard but I just may have a local shop fabricate a 7-foot axle and wheel to run over the 72" grill...it'll do nothing but look cool but tell me those stupid little 'wings' on the back of cars really serve a purpose beyond looking cool.

But yeah, since I'm open to individual units I'm willing to look at any vertical smoker and any grill....and combination units as well.

We're narrowing it down buddy! Can't thank you enough....any other suggestions, thoughts, commentary is VERY welcome! I'll start making calls and see what's out there. I'm sure there's some other options and revisions to the plan...but that BBQ Vault seems amazing, especially with the Guru option!

- Steve

Last edited:
Oh, almost forgot...the wife keeps Kosher so doing whole hogs won't be an issue.

Just got done watching this video:
http://www.crownverity.com/products/grills-and-griddles/72-inch-grill-MCB-72

Joe, this thing is awesome....you can have a huge griddle for pancake breakfast, or you can have steamers to keep food warm...the versatility is amazing. Also, it has water trays underneath to add moisture and reduce flare-up's and making cleaning easier. The only complication is that it makes building this thing into an enclosure a bit challenging to ensure I can slide the trays out, but that's why wide counters are good; I'll make it work.

All things considered, I think the Pitt's Vault and the Crown-V 72" propane grill is the absoute best bet for my needs....add a phony Santa Maria axle/wheel and a triangle dinner bell and we be stylin' :becky:

Tell me I'm wrong, I dare ya! :rolleyes:

I know, I know....3 post in a row, but look at the versatility I can score with the Crown-V

Griddle
Crown V griddle 2.jpg

Another griddle
Crown V griddle.jpg

Rotissirie (sp?)
Crown V rotisserie.jpg

Smoke box, for a bit of fun
Crown V smoker box.jpg

Steamer or warming trofts
Crown V steamer.jpg

Jeez Louise, is this thing the proverbial bomb or what??

Back