Handing down the knowledge...

mytmouz

is Blowin Smoke!
I cooked on grills and smokers for years. Now I can't, and my family misses it... I had gotten rid of all my cookers, except for one Weber kettle. My oldest daughter was wanting to come over and cook. I told her it would be a good time to try charcoal cooking. She had never seen lump charcoal before, or seen a chimney starter in use. She was going to prep some veggies, then start the chimney, I said no, light it first, then prep. That eliminates the need for waiting on the charcoal, that is the gasser cookers complaint.

She did that and then the prep. Dumped the coals for indirect cooking. She put mayo slathered corn and an 8x8 pan of onions on. We spent some time talking, then direct heat for the corn to finish. The smoked sausage links went in the recently vacated area the corn was in. When the corn was done the sausage took its place, and the onions came off, then the burgers she patted out and seasoned with SPOG and Dales seasoning per my direction went on.

Once everything was ready, it was all taken in and assembled. Earlier she had made baked beans and potato salad.It was all excellent. My daughter said it was really easy and she is planning a steak cook. Talk about a proud Papa!

Please dont wait for "later" to come along to pass down what you know to others, you may not get the chance...

So Right you are, we dont get many chances to pass along the Art of the Que and have to take advantage of every opportunity. When we show others the enjoyment of cooking on natural fire we give them the ability to learn and experiment and grow.
Thank You for this great post!

I can feel the smile on your face. She'll think of you every time she lights a fire. My dad died when I was 22. I thought I had a lifetime left with him. You are correct, don't put things off. You never know.

Do you still have the Luv? My dad had one when I was a kid. We spent a lot of time on that little truck. Lift kits, roll bars, tune ups, oil changes, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Excellent post. The best part was family time and, guess what, she learned something, too. I love those times with my daughter.

Great post, and brings up a question — when is the right time to introduce little ones to outdoor cooking? I’m still in the stage where I’m constantly watching my five year old making sure he doesn’t get too close to the red hot PK.

I don't know if one of my daughters will became a BBQ champion, and frankly speaking I don't care about it
The only thing I'd like is that they will learn that cooking also means honoring the food you are preparing

Last edited:
I can feel the smile on your face. She'll think of you every time she lights a fire. My dad died when I was 22. I thought I had a lifetime left with him. You are correct, don't put things off. You never know.

Do you still have the Luv? My dad had one when I was a kid. We spent a lot of time on that little truck. Lift kits, roll bars, tune ups, oil changes, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I gave it to my crew chief. I sold the other one back to the guy I bought it from. He appreciates the hard work I did, as he wouldn't have done the work.

Great post, and brings up a question — when is the right time to introduce little ones to outdoor cooking? I’m still in the stage where I’m constantly watching my five year old making sure he doesn’t get too close to the red hot PK.

Mine is 30, lol...

Back