Grilled Duck Breast w/ Winter Vegetables and Maple-Bourbon Gravy

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
I got to choose the current "game meat" TD going on now and had envisioned entering venison. To make a long story short my freezer crapped out and I lost an entire deer. So last night I headed over to my buddies house with 2 packs of scrapple and came back with this

He didn't know much about the ducks that he gave me but when I thawed them out it ended up being 4 small breasts and 2 larger ones. I put them in some salt water this afternoon and headed to the store after being inspired by my favorite wild game website: http://honest-food.net/

I decided to go with winter vegetables and try to balance spicy (turnips) and sweet (butternut squash)

I peeled the turnips and cut the squash into wedges

and then prepped the squash with S&P and olive oil

took the duck out of the brine and let them come up to room temp. seasoned with SPOG. You will notice that I don't have any fat to work with, just lean duck meat.

roasted the squash until tender and light brown

and after boiling the turnips till tender I mixed them with some butter and milk

I knew that the duck wouldn't take long so I decided to cook HOT on top of a chimney of lump. I started with the 2 bigger breasts (like all men would :eyebrows:)

and then added the 4 smaller breasts a few minutes later

as they got a little over 120 they had a good sear so I pulled them to the side and let them come up to around 145. I then took them off and rested while I made the gravy

it was a shame I didnt have duck fat to start the gravy, but I made do with some pig fat

Added some flour and let that cook

then added the bourbon, beef stock, hot sauce, maple syrup, and S&P.

and then some cream at the end

I served the duck on a bed up turnips with gravy, along side the roasted squash. And for one last hint of spice I finished with grated radishes.

The dish really came together well. The texture of the duck reminded my of venison loin (oddly enough). It was slightly gamey but not as bad as I expected. Thanks for looking!

Beaut pic, that shines!
Superb work, that is a great plate, the duck is a hairs breath under perfect and I would be proud of that cook!

Beaut pic, that shines!
Superb work, that is a great plate, the duck is a hairs breath under perfect and I would be proud of that cook!

Thanks bucs! One day I will get a real camera, when taking pics indoors my iPhone always adds red, it was a little less pink than it looks. It's fine outdoors in natural light, but my cook started late last night (after the rug rats were asleep), so I had to take indoor pics.

Sorry about your deer, Craig, but I can't imagine it would have been more spectacular than this. Very, very nice cook. :thumb:

Back