Good knife sharpener

Dang. i have to research my knives first then. I know i have Mundial and twin masters but i dont know how expensive/nice they are. i liek em though. Forged not stamped..

thanx guys

I've been tempted by the EdgePro several times but the price always kept me away. I've made do with the Gatco (Lansky equivalent) and been pretty happy with the results.

I recently purchased a small set of Shun's when they were the deal of the day at Amazon. I will not use them til I figure out how I will sharpen them. No go with the Gatco (oil stones).

Does the EdgePro have a setup to use waterstones?

The edge pro uses water stones. I got mine off of Ebay. "Buy the best and only cry once !"

NUTZ

LOL. but for 150$.. thats alot.. i know i know. im stuborne, is there a normal chefs choice that will work for kitchen knives and wont break the bank. like 50$ or so

thanx

try ebay or craigslist. i never pay retail :)

If $150 breaks the bank I suggest you just use a steel.
A steel only resets (hones) and polishes (burnishes) an already sharp edge. It's not a sharpener. However, since we've raised the subject, the Chantry is a great kitchen counter (and competition) alternative to a traditional steel.
41iidU5o0ML._SL500_AA280_.jpg

John

P.S. You can get a Warthog V-Sharp XE for $73.

does anyone still just use a sharpening steel on a regular basis? i know, kind of old school but my knives are always very, very sharp. i learned at the knee of my dad and grandfather how to sharpen knives so just sayin', a steel and a stone along with a bit of experience will be an inexpensive system.

cheers....

scott
That's what we do around here. It isn't difficult to do and kinda fun. A couple of sharpening stones is all you need and you can go from there to razor sharp if you want. Just throwing it out.

If $150 breaks the bank I suggest you just use a steel.

It does. If i didnt have school books to buy, then for sure i would get the sharpener. Both the sharpener and books are important BUT i think my books wins this round.. hahaha. however, i can always save for 2 months and see what happens.. Maybe thats what i will do. Then i can get the chefs choice or ep

Been using one of these for 30 years...hasn't failed me yet...:cool: Cost me $2.50 back in 1980...might be $5.00 or so by now though...:biggrin:

I went with the chef's choice 130 a couple years ago and have never looked back. It even sharpens keeps a serated edge cutting nice.

After I bought it, Theresa brought me her old pairing knife that was so knicked and dull that it couldn't even cut a fart. 12 passes through the first stage and the nicks were gone, a few more through the finishing stage and it was better than new.

It does very well on my henckels. It just requires a few passes through the 3rd stage once in a while to keep a beautiful edge.

I bought mine on e-bay. They are avialable there now for under $130 with free shipping.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1311&_nkw=chef%27s+choice+130&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I bought a 3-stage Chef's Choice, I am guessing, 15-20 years ago when they first hit the streets in my area. It is a 3 stage and was about $60 at the time. I gave it to my mom and she finally gave it to me because she never used it. She did not understand it. She obviously stuck a sharp knife in the first stage. That thing is as course as a bench grinder and is obviously intended to shape a flat, blunt piece of steel. I rarely use stage 1. A pass through stage 2 for a neglected knife and a few passes through stage 3 and you can shave hairs on your arm. That being said, I think a 2 stage Chef's Choice is plenty of sharpener. Obviously, I do not have any fine Jap knives because I have never had anything but success with my knives and this sharpener.

does anyone still just use a sharpening steel on a regular basis? i know, kind of old school but my knives are always very, very sharp. i learned at the knee of my dad and grandfather how to sharpen knives so just sayin', a steel and a stone along with a bit of experience will be an inexpensive system.

cheers....

scott

I use a sharpening steel. usually hit it before I start cutting. Couple of quick flicks. Seems to keep the blade sharp inbetween real sharpenings. Not sure if it does a whole lot, but its just habit. I worked as a meat cutter many moons ago, until they found out I was too young to be in the meat cutters union. It was good pay and good experience for a kid, while it lasted...

im a big fan of a whetstone. it's cheap and easy to master. and fun! whetstone for the edge, steel to maintain it.

It's all your fault!!!

Sorta.......

Ordered the EdgePro Apex this morning.:eek:

Should be here next week. I hear about a "learning curve". What are the tricks and solutions? Looking at the video (plus being familiar with the Gatco/Lansky already), I don't see any big hurdles, but I'd appreciate a heads up on any issues.

TIA.

for those that have the Edgepro (what I am looking to get), is it better for your knives and does it produce a better edge then a chefs choice electric sharpener? I have a full set of Wusthof Classic knives if that matters...

Another vote for the EdgePro (I have an Edgepro Pro) - I take it to a lot of comps as I offer (almost) free sharpening to MABA members, so I've sharpened a lot of blades. Best thing about the Edgepro is that it's repeatable from sharpening to sharpening.

Biggest issue with the Chef's Choice sharpeners is that the angle is fixed at 25 degrees which is a little steep and higher than most factory grinds. Henckels & Wustofs come at 24 degrees, Messermeister's come at 22, and most Japanese knives are around 18-20 degrees (Shuns come at Eighteen. Using a Chef's Choice on a Japanese blade is the fastest way to ruin the edge.
Those angles are the ones that are reference marked, you can go anywhere from 10-24 degrees.
It depends on the hardness of the steel and the use of the blade. Good Japanese blades do fine all the way down to 11 degrees, just don't chop through bones with them.

Good info! - is there someplace that has a list of the edge angle of various knives?:?:

Picked up a Firestone sharpener at a woodworking store for $20. Does a fast and easy job. No electricity, oil or water needed. All it is is a handle with 4 "coarse" ceramic wheels on 1 side and 2 fine on the other. No learning curve either. Just draw the knife through a few times. Makes a fairly sharp blade. On the other hand, just got an EdgePro and sharpened most of my knives and WOW o WOW! They are SHARP now.
Google Firestone to see the cheaper and very satisfactory unit I was using.

Back