Good knife sharpener

I use my 6 inch bench grinder with a fine grinding stone. Works great and takes less than a minute. I do it pretty fast so as not to build up heat. been doing it that way for years without any problems.

I also have a few wet stones, 600, 1200 and 3000 grit. I stopped using them because with the fine stone on the grinder and a very light touch, I did not see a noticeable difference in sharpness. Sure the wet stones polish it to a mirror finish, but once its razor sharp on the grinder, do I really need it any sharper?

Another vote for the EdgePro (I have an Edgepro Pro) - I take it to a lot of comps as I offer (almost) free sharpening to MABA members, so I've sharpened a lot of blades. Best thing about the Edgepro is that it's repeatable from sharpening to sharpening.

Biggest issue with the Chef's Choice sharpeners is that the angle is fixed at 25 degrees which is a little steep and higher than most factory grinds. Henckels & Wustofs come at 24 degrees, Messermeister's come at 22, and most Japanese knives are around 18-20 degrees (Shuns come at Eighteen. Using a Chef's Choice on a Japanese blade is the fastest way to ruin the edge.
I notice the apex says it will do 10,18,21, and 24. very interesting
Those angles are the ones that are reference marked, you can go anywhere from 10-24 degrees.
well whatever sharpener you go with, please know that at a twenty degree or lower angle, the blade will need a more frequent touch up schedule. the thinner the angle the more prone it is to laying over.
It depends on the hardness of the steel and the use of the blade. Good Japanese blades do fine all the way down to 11 degrees, just don't chop through bones with them.

I use my 6 inch bench grinder with a fine grinding stone. Works great and takes less than a minute. I do it pretty fast so as not to build up heat. been doing it that way for years without any problems.

I also have a few wet stones, 600, 1200 and 3000 grit. I stopped using them because with the fine stone on the grinder and a very light touch, I did not see a noticeable difference in sharpness. Sure the wet stones polish it to a mirror finish, but once its razor sharp on the grinder, do I really need it any sharper?
how fine of a grinding stone we talking about and does home depot cary them?

thanx.

Not sure what kind of knives you are sharpening, but I have one of these. It's extremely basic, but it does a great job and is darned near fool proof.....and disposable!

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-Sharpe...=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1261972779&sr=8-44

BBQSam you are right on with these, you are removing some steel but perfect for work knives These cheap sharpeners are truly amazing for 6 bucks their great to leave all around the house, garage, truck etc. they will wear out though, can flip sharpening blades over to extend life. have seen them at lowes

I have a waring Pro 5 bay Knife sharpener that I really like. It has everything I need in regards to angles and polishing. I am really happy we bought it.

waring-commercial-electric-knife-sh.jpg

I've been told to try to avoid bench grinders because of the heat build up can soften the steel. I guess the paper wheel design helps mitigate that more so than a stone.

Instead, they (read on a knife forum) recommend using a belt sander for those that want to use a machine to sharpen.

I have never had problems with heat build up or metal discoloration but I have with just about all the other systems, including the belt sander with gear reductions, also a lot more money than the grinder and wheels combined. I also have a large set of Lanskys but I find it combersum and awkward plus real easy to scratch up a knife if you get in a hurry.
Dave

I took their recommendation and turned the motor around so the wheels spin away from me on my 6 inch bench grinder I bought a couple year ago for I thinks less than 20.00 bucks so the whole set up ran less than 100.00, just sayin.
Dave

Any brethern with the Edge Pro system willing to let me borrow the CD that came with your system?? I would be willing to pay forward mailing. My used system didn't come with a CD. Although I have figured it out and used it estensively I'd like to see the CD.

Any takers???

Thanks,

Paul B
SS UDS

Another endorsement for the Edge Pro Apex system. I wouldn't spend the extra for the Pro system unless you have a need for sharpening scissors. This is a great system and will produce very sharp results.

well crap.. now i gotta think what to buy. just want sharp and easy. Not razor sharp. just sharp enopugh to cut raw meat and cooked meat..

i've tried a lot different systems/methods. I don't think you can go wrong with the chef's choice model 120 or 130. they have another model that will do asian knives. There are better systems, like the Edge Pro, but for the average joe, the chef's choice gets my vote.

i've tried a lot different systems/methods. I don't think you can go wrong with the chef's choice model 120 or 130. they have another model that will do asian knives. There are better systems, like the Edge Pro, but for the average joe, the chef's choice gets my vote.
LOL. but for 150$.. thats alot.. i know i know. im stuborne, is there a normal chefs choice that will work for kitchen knives and wont break the bank. like 50$ or so

thanx

LOL. but for 150$.. thats alot.. i know i know. im stuborne, is there a normal chefs choice that will work for kitchen knives and wont break the bank. like 50$ or so

thanx

Old saying: You get what you pay for....

That said I have a drawer and a half of sharpening devices of one sort or another. I wanted a good (and hopefully cheap ) system that would do the job. Didn't find one until I spent a bunch of time on a couple of knife forms learning about knives and keeping them sharp. I finally settle on the EP(edge pro) and was about to pull the trigger on a new set up when a used one came up in the for sale section of the knife forum I was on. It sold fast (I won the first come) I'll take it by only minutes, they are that popular of a system.

My point: If you have inexpensive knives go for the inexpensive systems and hope for the best. If you have expensive knives a lot of cheaper systems will ruin them in short order!!! I've been able to "score" half a dozen good quality knives and want to take care of them.

Nuff said......Oh by the way I was stubborn too(and cheap) but finally bit the bullet and haven't looked back since. :biggrin::biggrin:

Happy hunting.....

Paul B
SS UDS

I have a Chef's Choice 130 and it wasn't until I ran through our knives did I find out just how bad some were off. Once they were brought into shape and sharp, a couple of licks with a steel before each use and they just keep cruising. Only had to touch one up since.

One side benefit - you can generate much good will by doing knives for friends or relatives. They'll stay happier if you s=educate them on using a steel.

does anyone still just use a sharpening steel on a regular basis? i know, kind of old school but my knives are always very, very sharp. i learned at the knee of my dad and grandfather how to sharpen knives so just sayin', a steel and a stone along with a bit of experience will be an inexpensive system.

cheers....

scott

I've been tempted by the EdgePro several times but the price always kept me away. I've made do with the Gatco (Lansky equivalent) and been pretty happy with the results.

I recently purchased a small set of Shun's when they were the deal of the day at Amazon. I will not use them til I figure out how I will sharpen them. No go with the Gatco (oil stones).

Does the EdgePro have a setup to use waterstones?

Back