THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don’t like drippings burning on the coals or a diffuser plate (Stinks and can affect taste) so I run water pans - ran one in my UDS. Some charcoal will white smoke most of a cook. Running waterpans of course causes steam which will cause thin white or greyish smoke. Drippings burning on coals or a Difusser plate or baffle can create thin white smoke.

I also don’t like Mayo, Gaucamole, Mushrooms, Mint Chocolate, Cheese Cake, Soy Sauce or Fat Chicks..............
Or Cold or Fancy Coffee- Folgers Original Red Can with some Sugar is The Chit.

Last edited:
Op, me and my friends only use matchlight and put the meat on as soon as we light the fire. Taste better and I swear the offgassing of the lighter fluid just makes things taste better.

Plus if you like smokey, don't waste your money on that yuppie precut and bagged wood. I routinely throw on a chunk of pine, particle board, or treated 2x4 I have laying around. I'm not going to get scammed by that bag wood nonsense.

Funny stuff there! Takes me almost an hour to get TBS in my UDS,

you want more smoke flavor use Mesquite on chicken.
Burp Burp Burp smoke all night.

I like to give a brisket about 6 hours in the crockpot. Then I tie a rope around it and run it up the fireplace. A few passes through the chimney and it has just the smoke flavor I crave.

I don’t like drippings burning on the coals or a diffuser plate (Stinks and can affect taste) so I run water pans - ran one in my UDS. Some charcoal will white smoke most of a cook. Running waterpans of course causes steam which will cause thin white or greyish smoke. Drippings burning on coals or a Difusser plate or baffle can create thin white smoke.

I also don’t like Mayo, Gaucamole, Mushrooms, Mint Chocolate, Cheese Cake, Soy Sauce or Fat Chicks..............

Wow....I like everything you don't like and dislike folgers. Your like the anti-ninja

Oh tonight meatloaf was legit.

:shock: :evil:

I hope you are talking about mass produced steroid chickens.

I don't have a UDS, and only experience with one was watching Sweet smoke Q set up and light his at a competition. From that and what I've read here it seems everyone uses lump/briquettes in some sort of basket with chunks of some kind of wood either mixed in or on top. It seems to me the OP likes his food slightly smokier so instead of 4-7 small chunks he puts the same volume of wood in a single split on top. I get it, prefer more smoke flavor, add bigger chunk of wood on top of clean burning lump to achieve goal. Maybe he should have just said that instead of attempting to coin a new term.

I think saying TWS, which is what I like, is easier than saying add bigger chunk of wood on top of clean burning lump. thats just too wordy for me:razz:

I run a clean fire and don't like any dirty combustion. I've been playing with the drum alot lately after years of being a naysayer. Fire management for the drum is almost more important than my beloved stick burner. I can only use lump so far. Bricks just taste off no matter what i do. I have to give it time too settle. It starts thick

It settles in to a very light smoke. Today it took almost an hour

Tonight were smoking meatloaf

Im glad you are coming back to your senses and starting to cook with the UDS again. all is forgiven. we welcome you back into the fold :razz:

I think saying TWS, which is what I like, is easier than saying add bigger chunk of wood on top of clean burning lump. thats just too wordy for me:razz:

How much wood chunks is subjective and an artform in of itself. This is what my cowboy lump "southern style" mixed with western pecan chunks basket looked like. The same amount of wood was layered throughout the basket. It was a light smoke that complimented the loaf without overpowering it.

That is a lot of chunks to add all at once. It looks like three are already burning at the same time. Maybe that doesn't amount to a lot of smoke in your UDS, but in a WSM that is way too much.

How much wood chunks is subjective and an artform in of itself. This is what my cowboy lump "southern style" mixed with western pecan chunks basket looked like. The same amount of wood was layered throughout the basket. It was a light smoke that complimented the loaf without overpowering it.

that's pretty much what my charcoal basket looked like when I was using chunks.

Shameless plug - UDS is a champ at clean burning. some lump, some chunks, and they have a nice light smoke throughout the cook :rockon:
everybody getcha one!

That is a lot of chunks to add all at once. It looks like three are already burning at the same time. Maybe that doesn't amount to a lot of smoke in your UDS, but in a WSM that is way too much.

Does all those chunks ignite and burn clean as a source of heat, or do the smolder?

Well it is all about a clean burn. I cant do what smitty does with the 50/50 bricks and wood. Lump is a must with my test so far (each cooker is different). my drum drafts better than the wsm and thus can burn more wood. I cut my teeth on a wsm and would have considered that too much wood based on my experience with it.

That basket setup produced the smoke I posted above for the whole cook. Just light whiffs and puffs.

Well it is all about a clean burn. I cant do what smitty does with the 50/50 bricks and wood. Lump is a must with my test so far (each cooker is different). my drum drafts better than the wsm and thus can burn more wood. I cut my teeth on a wsm and would have considered that too much wood based on my experience with it.

That basket setup produced the smoke I posted above for the whole cook. Just light whiffs and puffs.

Its all preference from what i gathered from this thread. Some like TBS, some like TWS, and some don't seem to know the difference.

Back