Getting away from thin blue smoke

I understand the intent of your post. but that is not the case. I think the point of the forum is to discuss and share knowledge. some people do not like any point of view that contradicts their own point of view and they will scream loudly to silence any dissenting pov as we have just seen . since this is a discussion forum that will not stop me from posting my points of view.

One of they keys to sharing knowledge is to have acquired it first.

People certainly have different opinions on what flavors they prefer. A lot of people do equate the thick smoke from fat burning on charcoal with smoked flavor. If that is what you like, then that is how you should cook.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
My thing is I seldom wait for the pit to reach it's temperature. I will put the meat on as soon as the lighter cube burns out and let both the coals and meat heat up together. This usually results in white smoke in the beginning and eventually I dial it in to thin blue. I'm not totally opposed to white smoke because I did it that way for years. I do prefer thin blue now because I dont seem to use as much fuel and I do think the bbq tastes better. A dose of white finished thin. To each their own.

I have always been worried about attaining the TBS. Since I purchased my vertical offset, the draft is so good that I don't notice a smoke flavor at all. I since don't worry about TBS anymore, and with the great draft on the cooker I do get a light smokey flavor that I had been missing. I recently went to a somewhat local popular BBQ joint and was really turned off by the overwhelming smoke flavor on the brisket. It was to the point where I was burping smoke the rest off the day, and my hands smelled of acrid smoke from touching the brisket even after washing them. Could have been an off day, but nonetheless it was very unpleasant. I see no problem in doing things the way you enjoy them. I'm good with thin white smoke, and I have been using wood that is a bit greener than in the past to satisfy my personal preference of smoke flavoring.

If one ignores the OP, does the tree still exist to fall in the forest?

Now YOU are starting a debate about what type of wood to harvest from the forest for smoking? :icon_smile_tongue:

Everyone knows that if the tree falls, el lunhador will hear it, and then walk to the forest where there is peach pie talk, slam the type of crust used, then replant the fallen tree so the topic is skewed into why dont they use a UDS to smoke the peaches, so the crust will taste better. Is that about right el lunchador?:loco:

I have always been worried about attaining the TBS. Since I purchased my vertical offset, the draft is so good that I don't notice a smoke flavor at all. I since don't worry about TBS anymore, and with the great draft on the cooker I do get a light smokey flavor that I had been missing. I recently went to a somewhat local popular BBQ joint and was really turned off by the overwhelming smoke flavor on the brisket. It was to the point where I was burping smoke the rest off the day, and my hands smelled of acrid smoke from touching the brisket even after washing them. Could have been an off day, but nonetheless it was very unpleasant. I see no problem in doing things the way you enjoy them. I'm good with thin white smoke, and I have been using wood that is a bit greener than in the past to satisfy my personal preference of smoke flavoring.

I have the exact same smoker you have. Like you say, the draft is incredible and, like you, I much prefer the lighter smoke flavor it delivers. I am in my 3rd year with the LSG VO and would not trade it for anything.

Lump for heat, wood for flavor.

Thank you.

So when you cook on your UDS, which I believe is your favorite, are you getting that much white smoke from mixing in chunks of wood?

If nothing else "The Wrestler" knows how to stir the pot. And he knows what type of metal the pot should be made from.

Last edited:
Back then I used a pos and liked billowing white smoke.
Now I use a uds and get the best flavor from thin white smoke

Quick note, we have been keeping an eye on this thread, as we have said before, if you have nothing to add or are posting to take some shots or stir the pot, don't. You know the saying, "If you have nothing to add, leave the thread.

Now, with that said. It's funny you mention this thin white smoke and the UDS. I would notice the same with mine. Lump or briqs and chunks. I also noticed that it was heavy on odor of the fats burning off moreso than wood smoke, if that makes any sense. I notice it in the PBC as well. Personally, I got to a point that I just didn't like the flavor of the smoke that the fat was creating an imparting on the meat. Hence, both UDS' have been given away to loving and caring homes.

Months back, I found a great deal on an OK Joe Highland using Brickseek and applied a gift card I had as well. Took it home for under $99. Now, completely different flavor profile. Takes me back to where I started out when I found this place......Brinkmann SP (all the mods) and learning to burn sticks only.

I always attributed the smoke and the difference to the fats dripping on the coals. Who knows?

Bob

Last edited:
Now YOU are starting a debate about what type of wood to harvest from the forest for smoking? :icon_smile_tongue:

Everyone knows that if the tree falls, el lunhador will hear it, and then walk to the forest where there is peach pie talk, slam the type of crust used, then replant the fallen tree so the topic is skewed into why dont they use a UDS to smoke the peaches, so the crust will taste better. Is that about right el lunchador?:loco:

Post of the year right here :rockon:

If a tree fell in the forest, any tree, I know for a fact it would make great lump Charcoal for a uds and I might add if I were ever stranded in a forest and could only have one cooker it would be, wait for it,

A uds :rockon:

Thank you.

So when you cook on your UDS, which I believe is your favorite, are you getting that much white smoke from mixing in chunks of wood?

I get very little smoke. I'll post a video in a day or so when I cook ribs.

I used to get very little tbs,now I get very little tws

I understand some folks have been wound up by El Luchador’s prior posts in prior threads, and I find myself disagreeing with many of his opinions, but I don’t see anything wrong with him challenging the TBS convention in this current thread. And I must say I find the personal vitriol unnecessary and off-putting . . . .

Let’s play the ball and not the man.

Back