Getting away from thin blue smoke

I don't understand why so many people take offense to OP's threads & posts. They're some of my favorites. Even though I often don't agree, he's passionate about making BBQ he likes, and he likes showing the non-standard point of view. He actively tells people how he makes food that he likes. You can choose to try it or not.

I love my sous vide. Some people on this site see that as offensive as a crock pot. It's just another point of view.

I started with a kamado (lump & chunks) and got a pretty strong smoke. I love it. On my Bandera I was shocked at how light & refined the smoke is. I love it. El is just saying that he'd prefer having BBQ from my kamado instead of my Bandera. Sure, he says it in a way that some find frustrating, but I am happy to have him raise questions that spark a discussion. I certainly won't get offended if he doesn't cook the same way I do, just like I won't get offended if he adds more salt to his food than I do. I have learned a LOT from this site by reading other people who do things differently than I do.

Preach on, El.

The OP’s screen name loosely translates into the fighter, and he lives that out here trying to instigate fights, both publicly and through PM’s. His style is often combative and agressive, and he seems to prefer to give controversial advice about things he hasn’t yet learned as opposed to actually using this great resource to learn about BBQ himself. Clearly his behavior has worn thin with some here who now have little or no patience for him even when he has legitimate posts. You reap what you sow.

Last edited:
The OP’s screen name loosely translates intoj the fighter, and he lives that out here trying to instigate fights, both publicly and through PM’s. His style is often combative and agressive, and he seems to prefer to give controversial advice about things he hasn’t yet learned to actually using this great resource to learn about BBQ himself. Clearly his behavior has worn thin with some here who now have little or no patience for him even when he has legitimate posts. You reap what you sow.

Because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean I try to instigate anything.

I'm pretty consistent with my pov and they are simple. I understand some may find them offensive but those are issues YOU have to work through.eg. If you get offended because I like ketchup on my steak, that's your problem, not mine.
This is not religion, just food.

I like uds
U can and should build one for less than $100
I like charcoal more than wood
I like cooking direct over the coals and know it has several advantages
I have come to believe that wrapping can create a better product in brisket and pork butt

Oh, and the top team on the kcbs ciruit right now is cooking on uds :razz: :rockon:

My stepdaughter (22 yrs old) attempted to put ketchup on a tri tip that I had lovingly reverse seared for dinner. I threw the ketchup in the garbage. What you do in your home is your business.

I think OP is semi serious with his threads. He's just funning with y'all, like calling wrapping "braising" etc :becky: Personally, none of it bothers me and sometimes when written/typed/texted, it conveys different. Though he does stir the pot a little bit. :heh:

Because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean I try to instigate anything.

I'm pretty consistent with my pov and they are simple. I understand some may find them offensive but those are issues YOU have to work through.eg. If you get offended because I like ketchup on my steak, that's your problem, not mine.

I like uds
I have come to believe that wrapping can create a better product in brisket and pork butt

Oh, and the top team on the kcbs ciruit right now is cooking on uds :razz: :rockon:

It's not the shock and awe that rubs folks the wrong way. You do have a way of button pushing with the well done ketchup sauced steaks (admit it you enjoy getting a rise out of that coworker or you wouldn't talk steak with him). most folks here will just razz ya in good fun for that stuff. It's when these statements are made to get a rise out of people and then you act all why so mad bro that piss folks off

Some of your claims go against the common collective knowledge. People come here for advice and some of your statements can muddy the waters to say the least.

Your relatively new here. It takes time to establish credibility. Until your rep is up folks are gonna challenge you on these things, especially what goes against conventional wisdom. Put in the cooks to prove things or reference your claims. Until then be prepared for some backlash. Keep challenging convention it's a good thing, just don't try and be such a heel (had to throw another wrestling pun in to the ring)

It's ok to be different just don't pretend that it's normal

I like uds

You have been anything but consistent and saying you don’t instigate is an obvious lie. How stupid do you think people are? You back track all the time, and then when called on it you send threatening PM’s. Model behavior from a stand up individual.

Don’t worry, the majority of posters here have figured out you are nothing but a juvenile attention whore, and eventually the mods will tire of your disruptions too.

My stepdaughter (22 yrs old) attempted to put ketchup on a tri tip that I had lovingly reverse seared for dinner. I threw the ketchup in the garbage. What you do in your home is your business.

is she redheaded? because thats just cruel

It's not the shock and awe that rubs folks the wrong way. You do have a way of button pushing with the well done ketchup sauced steaks (admit it you enjoy getting a rise out of that coworker or you wouldn't talk steak with him). most folks here will just razz ya in good fun for that stuff. It's when these statements are made to get a rise out of people and then you act all why so mad bro that piss folks off

Some of your claims go against the common collective knowledge. People come here for advice and some of your statements can muddy the waters to say the least.

Your relatively new here. It takes time to establish credibility. Until your rep is up folks are gonna challenge you on these things, especially what goes against conventional wisdom. Put in the cooks to prove things or reference your claims. Until then be prepared for some backlash. Keep challenging convention it's a good thing, just don't try and be such a heel (had to throw another wrestling pun in to the ring)

It's ok to be different just don't pretend that it's normal

I have fun on this board(and learn a lot too) but I really believe in my opinions "keyword opinions" and I find it shocking and entertaining that some people get so worked up about varying opinions regarding food. I mean, one guy said his blood pressure went down when he put me on ignore. what? because I said charcoal cookers are better than side offset smokers .

the groupthink on this board is pretty thick to the point that people will buy a wsm or a uds and make some amazing Q with very little labor and say oh but I want a stick burner because they think it will produce better Q. someone who knows better has to step in and give a different opinion and some facts and then I do it and then all hell breaks loose, and as they say - the fit hits the shan.
:mrgreen:

on a more serious note, people struggle with bbq. you see it every day. I think a different(legitimate) point of view every once in a while is not a bad thing

I think OP is semi serious with his threads. He's just funning with y'all, like calling wrapping "braising" etc :becky: Personally, none of it bothers me and sometimes when written/typed/texted, it conveys different. Though he does stir the pot a little bit. :heh:

:mrgreen:
thank you brother for not taking bbq so seriously.

Last edited:
You have been anything but consistent and saying you don’t instigate is an obvious lie. How stupid do you think people are? You back track all the time, and then when called on it you send threatening PM’s. Model behavior from a stand up individual.

Don’t worry, the majority of posters here have figured out you are nothing but a juvenile attention whore, and eventually the mods will tire of your disruptions too.

you are the only one I have ever sent a PM asking you to stop because you acted the tool when I gave good advice that was not related to you.

you promised you would call me out every chance you got. how is that working out for you?

An analogy: sit/stand/kneel..this issue should have been ignored a log time and it would have disappeared in a short period of time..with threads..if you don't like what was said ignore it..it will disappear in a couple of days. Nothing is ever resolved in a pissing match.. we all leave wet.

you are the only one I have ever sent a PM asking you to stop because you acted the tool when I gave good advice that was not related to you.

you promised you would call me out every chance you got. how is that working out for you?

Another lie. It was YOU who threatened to keep hounding me, and you have.

Wow El looks like you’ve hit some nerves. Everyone has their right to their opinions and in my experience not everyone does exactly the same thing as the others. Diversity is what makes life exciting and fun. Just like BBQ should be. Once it gets this serious it’s time to step away and re-evaluate why we do it in the first place. The nay sayers can say nay. You go boy. New, credible or not I got my way, you got your way and I’m sure it’s all good. The whole point of this and other forums like it is to discuss and learn from one another. Weather we agree with everything or not is up to the individual as is choosing to participate in a group forum. Take from it what you want, leave what you can and don’t get your panties in a wad when there is an opinion you don’t agree with. Just my 2 cents.

None of my friends “struggle” with barbecue anymore. They’ve all gone pellet or those electric with wood pucks. I’m the sole remaining Charcoal/chunk cookers of people who actually know me.

But even they don’t know me as well as some of y’all.

Not one, not one single photo of a smoke stack from that group.

Time marches on.

Last edited:
Mod Note:

Once again, let me remind folks of this great feature called IGNORE! If you can't respond to someone in an adult manner, use the ignore feature and you won't see their posts!
Problem solved :thumb:

Also, We do not moderate on content. We moderate based on our rules, and so far the only posts in the thread that violate our rules are those with the personal attacks, so knock it off!

None of my friends “struggle” with barbecue anymore. They’ve all gone pellet or those electric with wood pucks. I’m the sole remaining Charcoal/chunk cookers of people who actually know me.

Keep on with the struggle! Charcoal and wood taste great! I hope we continue to see you struggling, and having to eat it (with pics) too. :clap:

I add 3 cork ball sized wood chunks to 8 lbs of KBB when cooking in my PBC. Feel free to share with family and friends.

You are a bit of a troller, El Lunch. Maybe trying to make a big splash here isn't such a good idea. This isn't some half-arsed,, whiney snipping internet site. It's the farking BBQ Brethren! Respect to one another is something that was instilled to me when I first joined this joint. Just relax and enjoy the ride, Man. There are a lot of great cooks and general good folks on here and if you continually mess with them, you won't make many friends here and maybe this site is not for you. You seem passionate about your food and I enjoy that part of your posts.
Just a friendly observation from a fellow Brethren. Smoke on.

I'm guessing that thin smoke is the point and we are in another semantics battle royal with el lucador. This time over colors

EL let's see some pics of your chimney. I'll show you mine if you show me yours

I mean this is a good opportunity for folks to show what their preferred smoke looks like on various cookers as examples to those learning.

ok, as requested. here is and vid from an ongoing cook, using a split of seasoned pecan wood. lump coals were lit and split was placed on top of the hot coals.

YPYqB0k.jpg

30 minutes after lighting fire, 250 degrees cook temp. nothing but sweet smelling thin white smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o7t9foZnfk

ok, as requested. here is and vid from an ongoing cook, using a split of seasoned pecan wood. lump coals were lit and split was placed on top of the hot coals.

YPYqB0k.jpg

30 minutes after lighting fire, 250 degrees cook temp. nothing but sweet smelling thin white smoke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o7t9foZnfk

That's not white smoke. Its barely any smoke at all.

I'm done with you

Back