Flank steak

Yeah, but I only eat fajitas! And yes, Jorge, they are beef. I used to make home made soft tacos once in awhile. My lunches these days usually consist of 98 cent a lb salami or leftover brisket or pork strips.

Kevin said:
Cumin is one of my favorite spices. I use the store bought ground a lot, but fresh toasted cumin seed, freshly ground is goodest.

You got that right Kevin. Find a place that sells Latin herbs. Buy a cellophane bag of cumin seeds, dirt cheep, then take them home, toast them, and then grind. youzers!!!!

just the tongue?

LeeBo said:
Yep, I think the immigration increase has driven up the price. Why? Ever shopped for tongue? (Yes Yankees - I'm serious.)

Butchers used to give them away. Now tongue sells for upwards of $5 a pound. It is used quite a bit in the Hispanic culture.

I've never cooked any, but most Southerners have grandparents that grew up eating it and/or tail.

I like Barbacoa!! (cow head, including tongue) wrapp it up in a corn tortilla with some fresh pico!! never cooked it myself, may try it one of these days, when ive seen it cooked it is wrapped in heavy foil and cooked in ground just like cabrito (goat) which is good also.

(edit) oh yea for on topic. I use skirt steak for fajitas. got a rub out of steve reichman sp? (i think thats his name) BBQ Bible that was pretty good on fajitas. but yes in Texas its skirt steak onions and bell peppers. we usually make refried beans and pico with em.

God Bless Texas!!!

Last edited:
FatDaddy said:
I like Barbacoa!! (cow head, including tongue) wrapp it up in a corn tortilla with some fresh pico!! never cooked it myself, may try it one of these days, when ive seen it cooked it is wrapped in heavy foil and cooked in ground just like cabrito (goat) which is good also.

(edit) oh yea for on topic. I use skirt steak for fajitas. got a rub out of steve reichman sp? (i think thats his name) BBQ Bible that was pretty good on fajitas. but yes in Texas its skirt steak onions and bell peppers. we usually make refried beans and pico with em.

God Bless Texas!!!

Where do you find a tortilla big enough to wrap a cow head, including tongue, in?
Just messing with ya. I was looking for a fajita seasoning and found this thread.

Here in So Cal the price of Frajita meat is proportional with Raider games/soccer games if you get my drift. If the sales ads come out and Corona, Limes, Tequila is on sale = big Raider Nation flag flying traffic jam.
Oh yeah no car insurance.:evil:

I'm not really familiar with Mexican food so sorry for the stupid question.

What is PICO? I've seen it in a few of the post and have no idea what it is.

Pico= Pico de Gallo= a basic tomato based salsa, made fresh, with hot peppers and cilantro, at least usually.

I've seen it as simple as chopped onion, tomato, and cilantro. You use it as a garnish or additive to you fajitas.

my pico/fresh salsa is tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeno peppers, juice of a lime or 2, salt pepper, garlic powder.. turns out damn good and is good on anything from eggs to grilled chicken tacos. which we just had for lunch today :)

Back