Flank steak

OK; lets see if this get me banned:

Or substitute portabella mushrooms for beef and tofu for cheese and have vegan fajitas.

BTW: Jorge. You're wrong that fajitas can't be chicken. After all, they're on the menu at Chili's ;-)

Mark said:

Or substitute portabella mushrooms for beef and tofu for cheese and have vegan fajitas.

BTW: Jorge. You're wrong that fajitas can't be chicken. After all, they're on the menu at Chili's ;-)

My point exactly :!:

These days it isn't bad. I usually see it in the $3-$4 range. That may be due to greater demand in my area though.

Bigdog said:
I found some flank steak yesturday at Sam's for $5.65 lb. What the fark? Why is it so expensive? Demand for fajitas? Does anyone have a cheaper sub. for beef fajita meat? For that price, I might as well use steak. I asked a butcher one time for stew meat. He answer: It's all stew meat! Interesting prospective.

Flank steak has to be the biggest scam. Yeah it`s 4-5-6 bucks a pound where I am too! But, you know what? I still get it sometimes as my simple preparation for cooking is second to none.

Coat it with 'Kitchen Bouquet' & 'Maggi' (soy sauce based seasoning), let it sit for an hour or two, and sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over it (preferably Paul Prudommes` 'Steak Magic'). Grill it for a minute or two each side over as hot of grids as possible. Slice on a sharp angle, cross grain and pour some gravy with a ton of mushrooms and a smoked Jalapeno in it. A heaping of garlic mash potatoes is a must!

That jalapeno smoked flavor goes perfect.

xczar said:
Bigdog said:
I found some flank steak yesturday at Sam's for $5.65 lb. What the fark? Why is it so expensive? Demand for fajitas? Does anyone have a cheaper sub. for beef fajita meat? For that price, I might as well use steak. I asked a butcher one time for stew meat. He answer: It's all stew meat! Interesting prospective.

Flank steak has to be the biggest scam. Yeah it`s 4-5-6 bucks a pound where I am too! But, you know what? I still get it sometimes as my simple preparation for cooking is second to none.

Coat it with 'Kitchen Bouquet' & 'Maggi' (soy sauce based seasoning), let it sit for an hour or two, and sprinkle Cajun seasoning all over it (preferably Paul Prudommes` 'Steak Magic'). Grill it for a minute or two each side over as hot of grids as possible. Slice on a sharp angle, cross grain and pour some gravy with a ton of mushrooms and a smoked Jalapeno in it. A heaping of garlic mash potatoes is a must!

That jalapeno smoked flavor goes perfect.

That sounds good bro. Thanks for the recipe.

I coat it with kitchen bouquet and teriyaki and montreal steak seasoning and let it sit while the fire gets ready. Prep some lump coal and mesquite chunks in the kettle and let them burn down to hot coals. then.. and heres the trick, I put the fire grate from the smokey mountain right on the coals. Its smaller than the kettle, and fits right on top of them coals. . Steaks cook at zero clearance, real close to the heat, about 30-45 seconds per side. Then i take them off and roll them up in foil and let them rest for about 5 minutes.

I put some seasoned and sliced onions and bell peppers and a jalepeno or 2 in a sealed foil pouch and lay that on top of the coals for a few minutes while the steaks coo k and rest. When ya remove the steaks, remove the grate and leave the pouch on top of the coals. shake and flip ofgten. One they are soft, put them in the dish, slice the steak and lay on top.

just made myself hungry.. its 40 degress and rainin out and we're in the middle of a nor'easter.. aint no cookin going on today.

Jorge said:
Mark said:

My point exactly :!:

"On The Border" has great Portabella Mushrooms Fajitas and the huge Margs are good also.

BBQchef33 said:
I coat it with kitchen bouquet and teriyaki and montreal steak seasoning and let it sit while the fire gets ready. Prep some lump coal and mesquite chunks in the kettle and let them burn down to hot coals. then.. and heres the trick, I put the fire grate from the smokey mountain right on the coals. Its smaller than the kettle, and fits right on top of them coals. . Steaks cook at zero clearance, real close to the heat, about 30-45 seconds per side. Then i take them off and roll them up in foil and let them rest for about 5 minutes.

I put some seasoned and sliced onions and bell peppers and a jalepeno or 2 in a sealed foil pouch and lay that on top of the coals for a few minutes while the steaks coo k and rest. When ya remove the steaks, remove the grate and leave the pouch on top of the coals. shake and flip ofgten. One they are soft, put them in the dish, slice the steak and lay on top.

just made myself hungry.. its 40 degress and rainin out and we're in the middle of a nor'easter.. aint no cookin going on today.
Sounds like a good day for something PICKLED :)

USDA Choice Skirt Steak $1.99

I wish i could get that price. Just saw it for 7.99 a pound. Fark! I have a local mexican grocery where i find it for 4.99 and buy it all the time. Love me some Fajitas.

Ohh and I agree with Jorge.

I'm gonna try some marinated/grilled beef/onions/bell and jap peppers in a soft taco thingy tonight. Read this thread from the begining and you'll understand why I didn't say fajitas.

Fajitas are overrated. Good but overrated.
So is skirt steak. They probably used to just throw it out or put it in stew or something. Maybe gave it away.

Someone comes up with something to do with it, and now it's like gold.

I remember a time when people threw catfish back......

Yep, I think the immigration increase has driven up the price. Why? Ever shopped for tongue? (Yes Yankees - I'm serious.)

Butchers used to give them away. Now tongue sells for upwards of $5 a pound. It is used quite a bit in the Hispanic culture.

I've never cooked any, but most Southerners have grandparents that grew up eating it and/or tail.

Oh - I forgot to add..... I'm making some ground turkey fajitas tonight! Blasphemy indeed. However, wifey is has a limited diet due to health reasons. While they won't be real fajitas, I hope these ground fajita with peppers and onions in a soft tortilla turn out OK.

ps. Ground turkey for hard shell tacos is surprisingly good.

Yes, I'm a blasphemer too. Too lazy to go shopping so I dug some tenderized round steaks out of the freezer. Cooked the onions and peppers in a foil pan on the grill, put 4 split and seeded japs in the pan along with evoo and tony C's. The japs added just the right amount of heat to the other veggies by just cooking with them. I'm a fat and happy boy right now.

ps. Ground turkey for hard shell tacos is surprisingly good.

Shredded smoked chicken is pretty good too. After shredding or pulling the chicken I sautee it with some chili powder and onion.

kcquer said:
Shredded smoked chicken is pretty good too. After shredding or pulling the chicken I sautee it with some chili powder and onion.

kc, I do the same thing with chicken and turkey. I prefer the dark meat of both. I use Chipotle chile and some cumin, with the onion of course. good stuff.

It has gotten to the point I have given up mexican food period. Too expensive, too spicy and too much reminder of immigration problems.

ggeilman said:
It has gotten to the point I have given up mexican food period. Too expensive, too spicy and too much reminder of immigration problems.

The last point I understand and agree with but the rest, Huh?
You can control he "spicness" and as to cost, what is cheaper?

qman said:
kc, I do the same thing with chicken and turkey. I prefer the dark meat of both. I use Chipotle chile and some cumin, with the onion of course. good stuff.

Cumin is one of my favorite spices. I use the store bought ground a lot, but fresh toasted cumin seed, freshly ground is goodest.

Back