Hanger Steak (a.k.a. butcher's steak) - Que and Blues

edmonds

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Steve
Hanger steak grilled on Weber kettle. The hanger has a rich beefy flavor, a texture like a flank steak, and is tender like a tenderloin. It's one of my favorites.

Sometimes called the hanging tender, it "hangs" off the diaphragm and is often trimmed into 2 long strips. There is only one per cow, so it is usually only found at specialty meat markets. Also known as the butcher's steak because the butcher would often take them home for himself.

Click here for a video of the cook with some country blues fingerpicking.

hanger-steak-2.jpg

Frame-20-04-2022-10-08-33.jpg

Hanger steak grilled on Weber kettle. The hanger has a rich beefy flavor, a texture like a flank steak, and is tender like a tenderloin. It's one of my favorites.

Sometimes called the hanging tender, it "hangs" off the diaphragm and is often trimmed into 2 long strips. There is only one per cow, so it is usually only found at specialty meat markets. Also known as the butcher's steak because the butcher would often take them home for himself.

Click here for a video of the cook with some country blues fingerpicking.

hanger-steak-2.jpg

Frame-20-04-2022-10-08-33.jpg

Hangar is one of our favorites!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks right to me.

I wish I could get some again.

Yea, most groceries don't carry hanger steak. I'm fortunate because I grow my own beef, harvest one cow a year.
Apparently Central Market and HEB sometimes sell them, depending on where you live. Pricey though. Otherwise you may have to look at neighboring slaughter house. It's worth the effort though.

Killer cook and killer music. Wish you had a channel dedicated to the music and maybe a lesson or two. However, perusing your website, goatfeatherfarm.org , it appears that you might not have a lot of time on your hands. Most excellent on all accounts !!!!

That is GOOD EATS Cooked to perfection

Looks perfect.

Looks great Steve.

Finally got access to hanger steaks and I love it. As a matter of fact picking some up tomorrow for my old man's bday party Saturday.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it for his Bday.

Killer cook and killer music. Wish you had a channel dedicated to the music and maybe a lesson or two. However, perusing your website, goatfeatherfarm.org , it appears that you might not have a lot of time on your hands. Most excellent on all accounts !!!!

Thanks Mike.
My channel features cooking: open fire pit, grilling, smoking, even cooking in the kitchen.
I accompany the videos with fingerpicking, mostly country blues.
I just do it for self entertainment. I don't think I'm qualified to do lessons. So many good instructors out there.

Thank everyone.

Bummer! No shipment until the day of so I had to substitute the beef. :sad:

Thanks. Hanger steak is da bomb.

Oh man, that must hurt.
What did you sub with?

Couldn't find similar cuts like flap or skirts and found some really marbelized and tender NY strip steaks so went with them. Should work fine for what I plan to do.

Back