First tri tip a smashing success

cow

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
AC
I posted yesterday and said I'd review a rub recipe. It came out phenomenal. Turned out to be one of the best pieces of meat I've ever tasted.. anywhere.. ever. Absolutely a must try.

Details below the photos

Screenshot-from-2022-10-18-18-51-39.png

Screenshot-from-2022-10-18-18-49-03.png

Screenshot-from-2022-10-18-18-51-52.png

I used the rub recipe here: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/santa_maria_style_tri_tip/

Only mods: reduced cayenne down to 1/4tsp since it's easy to overdo .. and left out the salt and dry brined separately.

Rubbed it in Worcestershire and then put salt brine on, left in the fridge overnight. Seasoned the next day and left overnight again.

Smoked lightly in mesquite at 250 in my Weber for about 45 minutes until 115F, and gave it a good hot charcoal sear until ~135F for medium/medium rare, and rested.

There was no heat from the cayenne, so I could probably bump it back up.. but I don't know if I want to change anything. It was simply perfect as is

That's money right there. Mine is still resting in the warmer oven, it looks similar to yours.

Yours looks better though.

20221018-203321.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear it! Now you know the rub is a keeper.

With the oregano, rosemary, and sage it's almost like Italian seasoning for that portion of the ingredients.

I see these tri tips a lot on here. Going to have to start a search for one myself. Looks delish.

• Thanks
Reactions: cow
Nice job. It still trips me out that Tri-Tip is not that common of a cut outside of California. I work with some nurses that are from Florida and the east coast and when talking about tri tip they look confused sometimes.

- G

• Thanks
As a winner of the Tri Tip Master years ago, I'd say that is as good as it gets!

Nicely done!

Cheers!

Bill

I appreciate all of the comments in this thread but this in particular was a huge compliment, thank you. Means a lot. I'm not into comp, just home cooking. I make some tasty meats but I even surprised myself with this one... came out cooked perfectly and I can't recommend the rub highly enough.

The COW is a contender.

We're both happy back yarders. Keep it homely. Keep it good.

Sh!t... And he's from Texas... :hail:

Cheers!

Bill

• Thanks
Back