THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cow

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
AC
It looked so pretty all trimmed and seasoned up in the fridge.

I usually prefer simpler seasonings, but I'm trying out the rub recipe at this link .. will let you guys know how it turns out!

The rub itself smells incredible. Whether or not that smell translates to flavor, time will tell. I'm throwing it on the grill tomorrow.

My only modification is much less cayenne. I left out the salt and brined separately. Also rubbed her down with a few dribbles of worcestershire before starting the brine.

Fingers crossed

Screenshot-from-2022-10-17-21-17-41.png

Last edited:
It looked so pretty all trimmed and seasoned up in the fridge.

I usually prefer simpler seasonings, but I'm trying out the rub recipe at this link .. will let you guys know how it turns out!

The rub itself smells incredible. Whether or not that smell translates to flavor, time will tell. I'm throwing it on the grill tomorrow.

My only modification is much less cayenne. I left out the salt and brined separately. Also rubbed her down with a few dribbles of worcestershire before starting the brine.

Fingers crossed

Screenshot-from-2022-10-17-21-17-41.png

Just wondering, how are you going to approach this Tri Tip cook? Medium rare then sear or are you going to bbq it like a brisket flat? The reason why I’m asking is because in the picture posted, there’s a thick stream of fat in the middle of the tri tip that would be super hard to chew and eat if done medium rare, but would render down just right and make that tri tip super tinder if bbq’d like a brisket. .02. Good luck

The fat streak really isn't very thick, not worried about it. It's just a dinner, not comp.. we can cut around if it's an issue :wink:

I'll be smoking at 225 to ~115F, then searing on charcoal and pulling around 130ish for somewhere in between medium rare and medium.

The fat streak really isn't very thick, not worried about it. It's just a dinner, not comp.. we can cut around if it's an issue :wink:

I'll be smoking at 225 to ~115F, then searing on charcoal and pulling around 130ish for somewhere in between medium rare and medium.

Sounds like a good plan. Dry rub applied ahead of time should deepen penetration.

Back