THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grabbed one today. Just about out of Weber cubes.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think advanced beginners such as myself enjoy experimenting. I had actually planned on getting the Tumbleweed Starters. Then this came along and it’s like”oh look let’s try these”
I had an AR15 Lighter-it didn’t last long. I saw a fishing pole lighter yesterday, passed. I enjoy My Old Hickory, Dexter, Chicago Cutlery knives and Blue Diamond matches- but in my 4th Quarter of a mediocre cooking career I’d like to have a Shun and a looflighter.

I never read 50 Shades Of Grey. But from what Ive heard I reckon experimenting around with my food hobby is similar-in an ambiguous correlating bbq sense.

Grabbed one today. Just about out of Weber cubes.

Several years ago when Brickseek was running hot with deals I picked up 6-7 boxes of Weber cubes at a $1 each. They’re almost all gone. I had a friend gift me 4 pack of Primo Fire Starters and I went through a period of oil soaked butcher paper under chimney-I confess to at times using lighter fluid though only about a quart per year. Also had a pellet grill for 11 months that did a lot of cooking at the press of a button. All these methods start a fire. Variety

I was initially buying these at a local bbq/fireplace store, they were reasonably priced. Then the store became a BGE dealer, started carrying the overpriced BGE brand of these and stopped carrying the Rutland ones. I refused to pay $8 a box for the same product that used to be $3 or $4, just because the box says Big Green Egg. These were the smaller boxes.

That's when I started ordering two packs of 144 at amazon.

I bought a small 24 pc box of these this morning. I will certainly use them for lighting a chimney but I don't recommend placing them inside the charcoal. I place Weber cubes in my charcoal when grilling and it works fine. These wafer style starters smoke like a freight train when inside the charcoal but it does subside in 10mins or so. The Weber cubes don't do that.

I normally use the Weber cubes. Pick up a bunch at the end of season sales. Was at Wally World today and saw a big ol bag of Fatwood starters for $5. So I grabbed one to try out. Anyone use these before? Looks like small pieces of wood about 5 inches long.

I normally use the Weber cubes. Pick up a bunch at the end of season sales. Was at Wally World today and saw a big ol bag of Fatwood starters for $5. So I grabbed one to try out. Anyone use these before? Looks like small pieces of wood about 5 inches long.
Not sure about the brand but the sticks I bought produce a lot of stinky black smoke. I hate them.

Several years ago when Brickseek was running hot with deals I picked up 6-7 boxes of Weber cubes at a $1 each. They’re almost all gone. I had a friend gift me 4 pack of Primo Fire Starters and I went through a period of oil soaked butcher paper under chimney-I confess to at times using lighter fluid though only about a quart per year. Also had a pellet grill for 11 months that did a lot of cooking at the press of a button. All these methods start a fire. Variety
Me too! I wiped the shelf. [emoji33]

First try...
They burn clean and 2 is probably overkill for a standard chimney. They have a higher/bigger flame than Weber cubes. I'm impressed. Thanks jzadski!

I bought a small 24 pc box of these this morning. I will certainly use them for lighting a chimney but I don't recommend placing them inside the charcoal. I place Weber cubes in my charcoal when grilling and it works fine. These wafer style starters smoke like a freight train when inside the charcoal but it does subside in 10mins or so. The Weber cubes don't do that.
Follow up. I used one of these starters to light my chimney and it worked great with very little smoke. I will buy more of these for chimney starting.

My store showed them in stock too and I had no luck finding them. I’ve bought them there before but they weren’t where they normally are. The store was an absolute mess so I left and ordered online. Got two boxes for the same shipping price as one. Should be good for a while now.

My store showed them in stock too and I had no luck finding them. I’ve bought them there before but they weren’t where they normally are. The store was an absolute mess so I left and ordered online. Got two boxes for the same shipping price as one. Should be good for a while now.
The store I went to had them in the back. I had to ask someone to find them.

I have used and preferred them for years over the Weber cubes.

No white wax bits of Weber cubes, or tin foil, all over the patio.

Slightly harder to light in a moderate wind but nothing a little squirt of hand sanitizer wont fix!

Can you explain?

You soak a cotton ball in rubbing/isopropyl alcohol and light it under your chimney. I only discovered it when I was looking for something safe to put my chimney on and found this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DHVJ3PV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use 3-4 make-up removal pads, as they fit perfectly inside. Unfortunately, I’m having a hard time finding alcohol with everybody making their own hand sanitizer, so I’m back to using Weber starters.

Back