Embers tv???

Having a lot of bbq content in one place is a great idea

Totally agree, good thing we have The BBQ Brethren. I get more info in one minute from reading and looking at the pics of any of cowgirl's threads than I would from watching an over rehearsed 20 minute video that took who knows how many takes to produce. They could have cut it down to two minutes.

sandro - great summary. I’ve archived some Jirby videos too for the same reason. I barely upload any videos on my YouTube channel as well, since I won’t post anything unless I feel it’s new or rarely covered valuable information that will help others with similar pits as me. I can’t see myself pushing out content, just to push out content. Too many of those Bbq marketing channels out there, rehashing previous content over and over.

Mad Scientist helped me in my early days, but his new content and “free” raffles that are go-fund me campaigns are a big turn off. My perception is he’s a bbq salesman now and hard to trust. He maxed out on his YouTube potential since the bbq niche is 500k members or less. Embers TV is a no go for me.

I too can't see myself subscribing to a paid service like this when there is plenty of content on Youtube for free.

That said, I don't have a problem with the sponsored Youtube video's because most of these content creators that do them state that the sponsorships just help them pay some of the costs to make the videos, like the meat. We all know meat prices have gone through the roof so I can't blame them for that.

I also agree that a lot of the videos are rehashed ideas that have already been done, but that doesn't really bother me either. Reason being that yes, I do like to learn from these videos when I can, but mostly I see them just as entertainment. I'd rather watch some BBQ related content then the crap that's on TV these days. As a result, I watch more way more Youtube than TV. Not just BBQ related, a lot of different things, but there is plenty of BBQ in the mix.

the ones that really grind my gears are the “check out my dream backyard/workshop/garage build” videos that are completely sponsored.
My dream backyard build has taken me a year and I salvaged most of it from neighbors.

Yeah...not so sure

Any opinions? Sounds to me like some savvy YouTubers taking it to another level.Google EMBERS TV if you are interested. You’re welcome.

Yeah, I saw it.

While I think it is an interesting idea...not sure it is worth the money at the beginning here, unfortunately, when a start up needs it most.

I watched the Yoder fella promote this, and he was going on about how they'd be able to up the production level with this...but then the previews he showed, of footage for the channel, didn't look any better than I can do with my cameras, etc....

So, I dunno....

There's so much free to watch on YouTube not sure I'd find a streaming service worth the money to watch...

cayenne

Totally agree, good thing we have The BBQ Brethren. I get more info in one minute from reading and looking at the pics of any of cowgirl's threads than I would from watching an over rehearsed 20 minute video that took who knows how many takes to produce. They could have cut it down to two minutes.

This. Youtube is the worst thing to happen to BBQ. Notice how none of these jokers post here, at least not under their Youtube character names. Last one i remember posting here was that maniac dude, but it's not like he posted anything useful, he just posted links to his channel for subs and likes. These are the types that would never post if they couldn't profit off it. Imagine Franklin or Mixon giving away their secrets for free. These guys just found an outlet to profit off there secrets and methods.

I Despise Youtubers with a passion.

Say what you will about my feelings toward Youtubers, but it will be the death of BBQ forums like this one.

This. Youtube is the worst thing to happen to BBQ. Notice how none of these jokers post here, at least not under their Youtube character names. Last one i remember posting here was that maniac dude, but it's not like he posted anything useful, he just posted links to his channel for subs and likes. These are the types that would never post if they couldn't profit off it. Imagine Franklin or Mixon giving away their secrets for free. These guys just found an outlet to profit off there secrets and methods.

I Despise Youtubers with a passion.

Say what you will about my feelings toward Youtubers, but it will be the death of BBQ forums like this one.

My YouTube channel (smoke scouts) has been a great medium to share my knowledge with fellow 1975 and similar backyard pit owners. There’s just some things you can’t explain with writing and pictures alone, and for me so much easier to journal during a cook. I love the art of making a video on my basic phone, and most importantly helping people and sharing any knowledge I’ve gained. My videos are short, straight to the point, and there’s no motive to profit. Thanks to this forum, specific YouTube videos, smaller Facebook groups, and tv shows I’ve accelerated my bbq knowledge incredibly fast.

Last edited:
My YouTube channel (smoke scouts) has been a great medium to share my knowledge with fellow 1975 and similar backyard pit owners. There’s just some things you can’t explain with writing and pictures alone, and for me so much easier to journal during a cook. I love the art of making a video on my basic phone, and most importantly helping people and sharing any knowledge I’ve gained. My videos are short, straight to the point, and there’s no motive to profit. Thanks to this forum, specific YouTube videos, smaller Facebook groups, and tv shows I’ve accelerated my bbq knowledge incredibly fast.

I don't own a WH 1975, but I do have a Blue Smoke Smoker by Big Phil which is very similar. I have enjoyed your videos. Keep up the good work :thumb:

Thats all fine and Dandy, but lets just say you don't add sponsor ads to your videos, You are the Minority on Youtube BBQ channels. And i have no issue with a average guy making a video for other 1975 users, but at least when you post links to your video, give us Cliff notes on what we are clicking on to watch. A lot of these jokers just post a link with no information because they want you to click so they make MONEY.

What's even worse is a few of these jokers have decided to cut their videos short and vague, and make you sign up to this thing called "Patreon" which is a pay service.

Not promoting anything.Just another bbq venue I just became aware of.Sorry Parrothead.Meant no harm. I just enjoy the spreading of the BBQ word and what is available to view.My apologies.It’s almost done.

I posted the link. I am Not Parrothead, but its part of the Rules on this forum. Basically don't make vague posts about some service without going in to detail about it. Same with posting a link and expecting members to click on it without no idea what that link is about.

It's not just me, we lost a few long time members over Youtuber related posts. Sir Pork Alot being one of them. This is why i say BBQ Youtubers will be the death of this forum.

Last edited:
Link?

I'll try to search for you....wish you'd included a link to your YT channel....

I find YouTube to be a GREAT resource...like you said, some things can be best learned with images and sound, not just static images and text.

Cayenne

I'll try to search for you....wish you'd included a link to your YT channel....

I find YouTube to be a GREAT resource...like you said, some things can be best learned with images and sound, not just static images and text.

Cayenne

Here’s link to my YouTube channel. It’s mostly fire management and how I use the stack damper to move the hot spot. I did about 30 briskets cooks in a 6 month span when making a few of the videos.

https://youtube.com/@smokescouts?si=CfNeHeaSLAdWqjQq

I enjoy the YouTube videos and have learned the majority of what little I know from watching them. Jirby, Chud, and Mad Scientist are some of my favorites. If I don't like a particular video or content creator, I don't watch it. If a tuber wants to promote a product or refer me to their Patreon, I ignore it.

There's a really easy solution for folks who don't like the BBQ vids on YouTube... don't watch them.

SkaterSmoker, I've had a 1975 for almost 2 years. I've watched all your videos. Great job. Love the content.

I enjoy the YouTube videos and have learned the majority of what little I know from watching them. Jirby, Chud, and Mad Scientist are some of my favorites. If I don't like a particular video or content creator, I don't watch it. If a tuber wants to promote a product or refer me to their Patreon, I ignore it.

There's a really easy solution for folks who don't like the BBQ vids on YouTube... don't watch them.

That’s the thing though. Everyone has to start somewhere. And if I discover someone and I like their style and they are obviously just filming their hobby. I’ll give them a chance, I’ll watch their videos even if I’m not interested in the protein they are cooking. But once they get over 1k they can start to monetise and when they get more and more they get sponsors and the reason I watched them is gone. I don’t really understand how so many channels manage to grow bigger and bigger when they become QVC.
Binging with babbish is an example of a non bbq cooking channel that had a great concept, awesome style and was really fun and engaging. He got huge and became unbearable. I haven’t watched one of his videos in probably 2 years.

It’s so weird how what got them big they move away from but yet they keep growing. There’s obviously a lot of people who want to watch over produced “backyard” bbq.

Yep, I used to like the Food Network when they actually showed/taught you how to cook. Young people are at a disadvantage these days if they don't have a friend or family member that knows how to cook.

I remember years ago, there was a show called How to boil water. Watched it a few times, it was a great show to teach someone the basics. It should now be called the Food Gameshow Network.
How To Boil Water was a good show. Tyler Florence...now does those stupid food truck race shows.

Watched a lot of FN back when it had good programming. My favorite was Good Eats, Alton Brown. Tried many things he demonstrated, and they worked! That show should not have been cut. Wish FN would bring it back.

FN has gone to hell with all the stupid baking competitions. The only shows I'll watch now are Beat Bobby Flay and The Kitchen. DDD too, if there's nothing better to watch.

I enjoy BBQ YouTube videos and have learned a lot from watching them throughout the years. I don't really understand why people get upset about them making a few bucks while doing it. I get there are some product placement ads that are only there for the sponsorship $$. I feel like I can identify good content from bad though and just avoid the bad.

I guess I just don't understand where all the hate comes from. The way I see it, it takes a ton of work (and money) to create good content and grow a channel. The ones who have grown big enough to do it full time and make their living off of it.... all I can say is congratulations! Because who doesn't dream about making a living off of doing what you love rather than working a miserable 9 to 5? Those that complain about it, I can't help but feel their hate is really just about the fact that whether they realize it or not, they're just jealous.

And I get it, there are those here that are very anti Youtube and there will be no changing their minds. No problem, to each his own, but guess what? There are a lot of people here that really enjoy it and find value in it. So I would not expect the subject to go away. I think the haters are just going to have to deal with the reality that like it or not, it's here to stay. What it really boils down to is if you don't like it, nobody is forcing you to watch it or to open threads about it. Sorry, not sorry.

But anyways.. I just got home from the office, and it's Tuesday, which means there's a new Chud video waiting for me and I think a new Joe Yim (Knox Ave. BBQ) video too!

I enjoy BBQ YouTube videos and have learned a lot from watching them throughout the years. I don't really understand why people get upset about them making a few bucks while doing it. I get there are some product placement ads that are only there for the sponsorship $$. I feel like I can identify good content from bad though and just avoid the bad.

I avoid any channel/video that starts with, I did this to X and this happened. Avoid like the plague. Click bait crap!

Back