DQs on the Dutch Oven Pork method?

Do you take the bone out of the whole butt before you place it in the box for turn in or are you using boneless?

Might be easier if we change the pork turn in container to 4" deep aluminum half hotel pan and then we could turn in whole butts...take the leftovers, feed the volunteers, judges could stuff themselves and probably a whole lot leftover for for the comp site local food kitchen.

Wait...you soak your pork in SAUCE?

That there is a crime in at least half a dozen southern states I'm sure, not to mention :boxing:

oh never mind....
I just noticed you were in the north east :rolleyes:

Hey hey hey now I resemble that remark.... not everyone up here is that way.... :boxing::boxing:

oh and p.s.
I WILL buy from a certain Brethren again and again and again, because the service is great and the products are amazing.

Hey hey hey now I resemble that remark.... not everyone up here is that way.... :boxing::boxing:

oh and p.s.
I WILL buy from a certain Brethren again and again and again, because the service is great and the products are amazing.

Lol..sorry just a good humored jab at our NE brethren..

and I agree 100% with the certain Brethren vendors - great service & products.

Lol..sorry just a good humored jab at our NE brethren..

and I agree 100% with the certain Brethren vendors - great service & products.

:becky::becky::becky:I figured it was a jk because NE BBQ is so good, even Myron is afraid compete up here...

now down there.......

I do not need to reheat/maintain heat in my pork prior to turn-in. I pull it from the cooker, rest it in the Cambro, crack foil slightly when prepping ribs... then after rib prep, get sauce (not heated) and proceed to find the pieces I want to turn in... sauce, and into the box they go.

Having said that, I think folks know I feel the "clarification" is stupid. And the 2010 rule is as well. You can put every other food back in the cooker to set sauce. I dont agree with the rule as it is... but I live by it. That is what we have to do.

Personally, I dont like to heat my sauce -- it has a little kick to it... and bringing it to a boil releases more heat from it than I want the judges to have. I also wouldnt want my pork cooked so much it falls apart on its own, even hot. I should be able to take chunks, slices or pulled bits even hot. I also think steeping it in sauce changes the flavor of the meat. (at least mine) so I would never soak it in sauce and risk changing the flavor profile... sauce is an accoutrement, not anything I want stealing the show from my meat.

That is my .02 -- take it for what it is worth. :)

dry pork

Why part the pork until it's time to go in the box?

That’s what I'm saying; as soon as the pork is parted you loose moisture and heat. Then when you introduce more heat you just cook any moisture that the meat has left right out thru your smoker stack forcing an over application of that special BBQ sauce that the judges don’t really want. At contests I often see all these cookers putting the meat on at 8 and 9 at night and I just don’t get it. I’m guessing maybe in an effort to free up some cooker space in the AM for bird & ribs? I prefer to pull my pork no earlier than 10 or 11AM and then I hope it is cooled down enough to handle with out burning my fingys.

Good luck at your next contest Brothers

Having said that, I think folks know I feel the "clarification" is stupid. And the 2010 rule is as well. You can put every other food back in the cooker to set sauce. I dont agree with the rule as it is... but I live by it. That is what we have to do.

I also think steeping it in sauce changes the flavor of the meat. (at least mine) so I would never soak it in sauce and risk changing the flavor profile... sauce is an accoutrement, not anything I want stealing the show from my meat.

That is my .02 -- take it for what it is worth. :)

THAT'S what I've been trying to say :doh:.

Just my .02 on the subject. As a judge, I can't remember the last time I had "hot" pork presented to me at the table. Chicken , yes, but not pork. Here may be a reason. Chicken is first. All the boxes are grouped together as they come in, First in, first out to a table of judges. After that, boxes are separated and grouped together, so that no table gets food from the same cook twice. Your box may be steaming hot when you turn it in at 12:55, but then it has to sit there while the rest of your competitors amble up at 1:04:55, and place there box down, that they have been fussing over for the last 20 minutes. Just my .02

After helping assemble sample turn in boxes for a recent KCBS Judging class, and acting as the TC, I was amazed at how fast the meats became cold and unappealling for the prospective new CBJ's. The same meats that I found to be very good tasting as it went into the boxes drew complaints as "the worst they'd ever tasted" from the newbies. All I can say is I sat in their seats at one time and said the same thing!

Bubba,

I wanted to take a moment and apologize for my vendor comment directed your way in the Dutchie thread. It was uncalled for and inappropriate. I am positive the tone of any response in no way reflects your business operations as a BBQ retailer.

Back