DQs on the Dutch Oven Pork method?

Something tells me the next one is not gonna be you, Paul... uh sorry, swede.

Look, you wanted opinions and you got some.

Take it from me, you cannot come in here and say things like I have

"the traditionalists actually simmered their cuts" or

"pump up the temp to 280 to get good some good Cue" or

"want to learn to cook a brisket to perfection... learn to cook it in an oven in foil first to get the feel"

You cannot tell people these things and not get a few people pissin in your fruitloops. NO Manner of cooking has more passion than Q.

YOU DID however get some great g&% damn advise from Ford and a few other people that know their mother ****ing ****. Your vendor comment is out of line... not to mention... well, stupid if you want to succeed in BBQing comps. They know... the always know.

Now continue on with your thought and never hesitate to bring up a subject... no matter how weird.... this it the perfect forum for pushing the limit.

Smoke on Ice is mentioning a brilliant strategy that has been discussed a lot here. Think about it. You can control the heat of the product up until you let go of it. I makes more sense to do this.

I need some clarification on two comments: the one about Paul and the other about vendors always knowing. Who's Paul, and knowing what?

The heat would not be such an issue for me if I didn't find out (eventually after a few comps and talks with winning cooks) that the majority of teams on this circuit anyway reheat, and upon my first attempt at reheating with nothing else changed in my recipe I had my best finish in pork for the year.

SO many smarmy comments from BBQ item vendors who I will never buy from again, what a shame, just trying to support Brethren.

I'm assuming all you folks who are pishawing the Dutchie method don't utilize a Cambro in any way.

I am not a vendor, a rub company etc.. I have read many post on this matter and it still comes down to this. you can not add heat to pulled or parted pork. heated sauce away from a heat source ...yes...........an insulated cooler with out an out side heat source, yes.. a container with an out side heat source (cooker, microwave, electric hot box) no.

please support the sport, by supporting the rules.

best of luck...

The heat would not be such an issue for me if I didn't find out (eventually after a few comps and talks with winning cooks) that the majority of teams on this circuit anyway reheat, and upon my first attempt at reheating with nothing else changed in my recipe I had my best finish in pork for the year.

:heh: :tape: :tsk:

As much as i know I just should just hush..i will leave you with this quote:

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.

DO methood is legal as long as its away from heat source when the pork is in it.. however... IMO, the hot DO itslef IS a heat source. agree or not, its my opionion.. not sure what the board would say.

in all the threads that have bounced around on this.. i dont comment, basically because i just dont get the issue... in 7 years of competing, reheating pork has never been required in my site.

When I pull my pork out of the cooler or cambro, I put on a pair of cotton gloves, and then cover the cotton gloves with food handler gloves, OR i put on 3 pairs of latex ones.. and still burn my fingers.

why?

because that chit is still so piping hot that you can not touch it without blistering.

My sauce is heated to near boiling in a pot(or kept in a covered half pan, in my pit), and then placed in a bowl on my prep table when the pork is opened up. We dip in the sauce, arrange in the box, brush it to touch up and off it goes.. piping f'ing hot.

I think if u need to reheat becaise the meat is too cold, u need to adjust something else.

Has anyone considered that at the judging tables the following occurs:
1. The TC opens the box and shows it around (this could be as much as 15 minutes after turnin.
2. The box is then passed from judge to judge and each take their sample and place it on their placemat
3. This is repeated for all six entries
4. The Judge now samples the first enty and scores it; and then the second; etc.
5. The time the meat is sitting on a piece of paper could be as much as five (5) minutes.
6. It can be pipping hot when you place it in your box but, by the time the judge actually judges it for taste and texture, it will be darn close to stone cold.
7. You maybe should be more concerned with the taste of your product when it is cold than with ways to circumvent the rules.
So true. I see people sample their food before making the box and that's it. Others hand the box to the runner and eat. Everybody who has helped me for the last 3-4 years knows we leave the chicken out for 15 minutes. Ribs I just sample a few after because I know exactly how they taste and how tender they are before turning in. Yes if you cook enough you do know. But if you really want to see what the judges eat then take the walk time plus 10-15 minutes depending on contest size and sample then. You'd be surprised.

having said that it is a good idea to heat up pork once pulled. However if you use slices of MM and chunks then you probably can just use hot sauce to brush on or dip pieces in quickly. I prefer brush.

I know I can pull a butt in under 5 minutes and it can be 180+ when I start and once sauced it will be lucky to hit 140 so it needs to go back in the cooker before vending. Doesn't matter for comps as judges will eat it within 15-20 minutes but it sure does for vending if an inspector comes along.

BBQChef33 -

Thank you for feedback in context to the original intent of my thread. This is exactly the method I have been practicing and it seems as though it has served you well in 7 years. Others seem interested in debating the manner in which that sauce is heated.

Is there a univerally recommended Dutch Oven for this process?

I have been using a scratch and dent Le Creuset with a very wide bottom, find that more surface area will keep the pork from steaming or "stewing" as a Left Coaster so nicely put it.

Just to clarify for those lurking, I will no longer be "reheating" my pork; but I will be placing pieces into boiling hot sauce not on any heat source before putting pieces into the turn-in box. Just semantics?

re-heating is illegal. period. why try to skirt around it?

No its not. You can take a whole butt and put it back on the pit. Reheating parted/processed pork on your pit is illegal

Why part the pork until it's time to go in the box?

Because its easier to slice cooled down pork than blazing hot pork

I just noticed you were in the north east :rolleyes:

http://iquebarbecue.com/the_jack

Has anyone considered that at the judging tables the following occurs:

7. You maybe should be more concerned with the taste of your product when it is cold than with ways to circumvent the rules.

I took a barbecue class one time and the teacher said hot barbecue tastes better than cold barbecue.
I'll make every legal effort I can to get the product to the judges as hot as possible.

I took a barbecue class one time and the teacher said hot barbecue tastes better than cold barbecue.
I'll make every legal effort I can to get the product to the judges as hot as possible.
This is just food for thought, not criticism or anything. I recently took a judging class, and the instructor went through all the reasons listed above about why the food will likely get cold by the time you taste it. That instructor told everyone there not to score down for food being cold, but to only judge it for taste and tenderness, leaving temp out of it. So that's what newly trained judges are thinking.

This is just food for thought, not criticism or anything. I recently took a judging class, and the instructor went through all the reasons listed above about why the food will likely get cold by the time you taste it. That instructor told everyone there not to score down for food being cold, but to only judge it for taste and tenderness, leaving temp out of it. So that's what newly trained judges are thinking.

Yes, I understand that judges are being trained that way. A warm piece of pork tastes better and is more tender than a cold piece of pork. I think you'll probably get a better score with warm even though the judges are trained that way.

Back