Does a good but relatively cheap stick burner exist?

jhwhite

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jody
I've been smoking on a Weber Smoky Mountain 18" for a few years now. I want to try a stick burner and I've looked at Lang and Horizon and some other big names, and they're EXPENSIVE. Is there a good cheap stick burner that would give me the opportunity to try? What's the next step up that won't break the bank?

Is the OK Joe Longhorn Reverse Offset a good step up to try out a stick burner?

A couple of times a year I do a larger cookout and what the Longhorn doesn't have is the second rack for more food. I'd love to be able to throw on a brisket, 3-4 racks of ribs, a pork butt, and sausage without having to cook in batches.

That size smoker is gonna be a little more expensive. Best bet is to find a used one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I hear good things about Old Country pits. I've owned the cheapest of the cheap offsets previously, won't necessarily name names...but let's just say that if it retails for $150ish brand new...it is probably not very well made. That said...I did learn the fundamentals of smoking on it. And on a smoker like that, it is basically learning to ride without training wheels while riding downhill on an expert mountain bike track, so there's that.

If you have the room and a flat-ish surface you don't mind scorching, a cinderblock pit may be what you need. It's direct heat, not offset. although using the principles from the Webber fans, you can create an offset-like cook. For a cinderblock pit, the greatest expense comes from the grate, but there are benefits:
  • you will be able to create a much larger cooking surface
  • you can customize it based on the cook (if you do not cement the blocks)
  • it will not rust through

I have two pits/grills in semipermanent configuration - one is a hog cooker/smoker and the other is a wood-fire grill.

I just did a google search for pictures that others have uploaded:

Here's s simple pit:
Cinder-block-fire-pit-square-fullindirhd.com-.jpg

Here's another:
maxresdefault.jpg

This guy made an offset smoker:
commodore.jpg

+1 for the Cinder Block Pit. You'll be amazed the amount of materials you can find on Craigslist.

I learned a ton with my pit over the past couple of years, and it confirmed my desire to burn sticks.

If you really want an option that won't break the bank and still have the best quality pit money can buy take a look at the Shirley Fabrication 24/36 patio model.

You'll save a small fortune not playing the entry level quality game most guys do losing money along the way as they get rid of them for a quality cooker.

If you don't love it for the long haul they hold value better than gold bars and you won't lose anything if you part company with it.

The build quality puts Lang and Horizon in the rear view mirror at similar pricing of around 2K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU9...To_rNevaoQCMIJmhIbN8u_So4bpJYQi2Pp68w-OcdOVBU

If you really want an option that won't break the bank and still have the best quality pit money can buy take a look at the Shirley Fabrication 24/36 patio model.

You'll save a small fortune not playing the entry level quality game most guys do losing money along the way as they get rid of them for a quality cooker.

If you don't love it for the long haul they hold value better than gold bars and you won't lose anything if you part company with it.

The build quality puts Lang and Horizon in the rear view mirror at similar pricing of around 2K.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU9...To_rNevaoQCMIJmhIbN8u_So4bpJYQi2Pp68w-OcdOVBU
What is the wait time for a patio smoker? I was going to get a trailer but the wait time was over 30 months. I ended up with a LSG large cabinet.

I would also look at the Lone Star Grillz patio smokers, they are less than $2000. You can finance as well, I agree with above, skip the cheap starter smokers. With that said, I do have the Old Country Pecos from Academy and it's not bad for the price but if I could do over again, it would be a Shirley or LSG.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What is the wait time for a patio smoker? I was going to get a trailer but the wait time was over 30 months. I ended up with a LSG large cabinet.

I would also look at the Lone Star Grillz patio smokers, they are less than $2000. You can finance as well, I agree with above, skip the cheap starter smokers. With that said, I do have the Old Country Pecos from Academy and it's not bad for the price but if I could do over again, it would be a Shirley or LSG.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There are several owners here already that can share their wait times but Paul indicated initially 8 weeks or less and I know a few guys that got them quicker.

Q season is kicking off so I'd be getting a deposit in quick, they will be slammed this year having an affordable short wait option.

I’m in the 4th Quarter of a mediocre cooking game. If the game started over right now I’d get the Shirley Patio for a stick burner. Interest rates are crazy low. Part time jobs are everywhere.
I’ve never named a cooker, but I’d have a badge made-
Sweet Melisssa

Check out the Old Country Brazos. It's almost1000sq inches of cooking space (split between two racks), 1/4 steel and $1100 shipped to anywhere in the country. Mad Scientist BBQ has a great review of it on YouTube.

I did the same...wanted to get a stick burner, but better smokers were and still are way too expensive. Three years ago, picked up an OK Joe from Walmart in the fall and it was on clearance for $140. Bought it, put it together added a couple of mods and it puts out some really good que. Have been very happy with it. A better smoker for me would run, with delivery, close to 2,500 or more!!

I did the same...wanted to get a stick burner, but better smokers were and still are way too expensive. Three years ago, picked up an OK Joe from Walmart in the fall and it was on clearance for $140. Bought it, put it together added a couple of mods and it puts out some really good que. Have been very happy with it. A better smoker for me would run, with delivery, close to 2,500 or more!!
Yep. I'm happy with my OK Joe Highland though it does get cramped for space occasionally. Nothing that I can't live with. Though I did spend some $$ on mods that I wanted.

If you can weld, there's a 1/4" 24x48 DIY kit for $1300 before shipping. Materials alone are so expensive that $2500+ is for quality pit of that caliber is pretty easy to understand.

Love my 24x36 Shirley Patio. Got lucky and got on a load headed my way so got it pretty quick. I am amazed at the amount of food I can cook on it. I have run stick burners for many years but this thing runs easy. Almost like cruise control sometimes

A few summers ago Costco had the bayou classic 36. Baby Back Maniac did an awesome video of it. I have no idea if they ever brought it back or not. But it was a heck of a deal. I regret selling mine...

I feel like if you can afford the Shirley patio that is an awesome starter/lifetime pit depending on what your volume needs are. Imo (and I've owned 2 LSG products) the LSG pits aren't in the same ball park as the Shirley patio for the price point in terms of cookability. I say go for it all. Sometimes it's good to spend a little more than you originally planned and force yourself to work hard and pay it off or earn the extra credit cash to pay for it upfront.

Back