Do You Make Your Own Lump?

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kai
Well, today I am starting a small road trip to pick up my new Kat Smoker (20/48 Reverse Flow). I have not named it yet so if you have a good recommendation let me know.

In preparation for the new stick burner I ordered a 1/2 cord of both cherry and oak from a local suppler. I asked for splits between a coke can and red bull can in size. They must have lost that part of the order. I ended up getting very few actual splits/ Most are big branches and what looks like the portions from where the branch left the trunk. It is seasoned wood but sh$tty when compared to splits used for BBQ. So it looks like I have to break out the chain saw, axe and go to work.

Because of the sh$tty look of the wood, I started thinking about making some of it into lump. I only use lump on my egg and UDS' and will most likely use it for start up on the Kat.

Have any of you made your own lump? Is it worth the work? Mess? Any hints would be appreciated. I got a 1 bag left of Blues Hogs lump so I need to get busy.

I probably wont respond until tomorrow or after. As I mentioned, I am getting ready to hit the road...

Thanks all!

Yaker

Why didn't you refuse delivery?

I was not home when it was delivered and did not stack it until a week following delivery. During that time it was under a tarp.

No worries, it will burn. I just need to figure out how. LOL. Men Playing with Fire. Not a totally unfulfilling thing.

I sometimes get those irregular pieces where the branch was attached to the trunk. I separate them from the better splits as they work great for building your coal bed in the beginning.

I made a retort this summer to make my own lump. I’ve never fired it up though as I’m afraid I’ll blow up the neighborhood. Haha.

Back