Do you have one? What’s the pros and cons??

4ever3

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Pre ground store bought pepper isn’t working for me anymore.

But a hand crank pepper mill is out because when I’m seasoning meat I use my left hand to turn and move meat and my right hand to apply seasoning. So now I use a pepper shaker with my clean hand but I want more from the pepper.

So I’m thinking about a battery operated pepper mill. That way when it’s time for pepper I just pick the mill up, hit the button and BAM fresh cracked pepper, one handed.

Who’s got a battery powered pepper mill? What brand and a pro or a con?

ditto Itsdone, dedicated coffee grinder for pepper. I also use a blend of pepper corns rather than only black

I'm a pepper lover, so I use A LOT on my salads, and pretty much everything I eat. I've tried everything under the sun minus a spice mill, since they say those either are inconsistent, or pulverize into powder in .00001 second difference.

Most good ones do require two hands to use properly :wink:. The electric ones I've had in the past were on the slower side and didn't put out much for my likings. The huge wooden ones are all show and don't really put out any more cracked pepper than the smaller ones. I've also tried the "hand squeeze" ones that you can use one handed, but again, didn't put out much, could slip easily into whatever you were seasoning, and broke way too early for me (less than two years).

The one I have now is the Unicorn Magnum 9", but I see their prices have over doubled now on amazon, and don't see the 9" any more, only the 6". it puts out a TON of pepper compared to the others, but not as much as the Pepper Cannon you see all over youtube now. I never could justify the pepper cannon cost at $200, or $180 on sale with discount codes, so I do not have first hand experience with it, but do like the "built-in" measuring cup and storage while you grind.

I do find it easier to pre-grind the amount of pepper I think I will need into a small container about the size of a kids fruit cup, then just sprinkle on with my clean hand as I go, or if I do get it dirty, so what, I only waste a small amount if I forget or about drop something and get both hands "dirty"

If someone has any experience with an electric or other "pepper cannon" output, I'd be glad to check it out.

EDIT: I see on amazon the pepper cannon has an output comparison chart now, and the 9" magnum puts out approx. 35% of the volume that the pepper cannon does. Helpful to know I would get 3x's the amount out, so if that is correct, the pepper cannon is a good alternative if you can afford it for high output, but then again, I don't feel as underwhelmed with my 9" Magnum Unicorn compared to it.

Last edited:
I like the Vitamix - mix a batch of rub, then later - a batch of Margaritas.
You can fairly easily control the size of the pepper with speed and time spent blending/grinding and pour it into a shaker bottle to continue your one handed operation.

The gadgets are cool - but my kitchen already looks like a Ron Popeil showroom.

I’m with you on the $200 jr, I can’t find a way to justify it!

Found these while poking around on the link you provided Dustin!

https://www.amazon.com/DOWUDO-Recha...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

No batteries, gravity fed, hmmm… not to mention the fact I wouldn’t use one for salt so I could have two different peppers :shock:

My wife's parents got me that one year. Lasted about as long as the first set of batteries. Since the lip always faces up, moisture in the air and from whatever you were cooking on the stove would always clog up the top and you'd have to clean it before each use. shortly after first batter change in a few months it stopped grinding and the internals cracked and spit out the crushing/muddling mechanism.

I buy 16-mesh pre-ground from Monterey Bay Herb Company for use when I want pepper undertones, but don't want it to overpower everything else.

If I need a good amount of fresh ground, I'll chuck my Zassenhaus pepper mill in my cordless drill and grind into a container right before I start cooking.

Back