THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like to use red oak with a chunk-o-guava for fruit wood. I also like the Jack Daniels pellets.

Have had good experiences with pecan wood too.

Greg Kemp said:
I like to use red oak with a chunk-o-guava for fruit wood. I also like the Jack Daniels pellets.

Have had good experiences with pecan wood too.

Greg, I need to check into some guava wood from you this season. Rick Salmon swears by it for chicken.

stan said:
I use oak and pecan mixture most of the time. Sometimes Oak and a little mesquite.

Oak and pecan is my standard for brisket. Chicken usually gets cherry and pork gets a combo of whatever hits me at the time! Lately I've been using straight fruit woods for ribs, however. Guava really adds a nice flavor to ribs.

I use hickory with cherry and apple on everything. I only change the quantities and mix of wood depending on what I am smoking.

Mixed tropical wood

thirdeye said:
For a single wood, pecan is my favorite, followed by cherry and apple. I too like to mix fruit woods.

I start my salmon with alder/apple and finish it with cherry for the red color.

fe687265.jpg

But for dry ribs I go cherry all the way.

e45d672e.jpg

I'm on my second box of guava and really like it.

Hey, try mixing a little dry citrus with your guava. Make sure it is good and dry, I tried some that was wet and it turned my pork the color of my black behind.

Neil said:
As you can see, we like to mix it up. I'm with Thirdeye, Pecan rocks but very hard to come by up here in Michigan. I mostly cook with cherry, maple and apple.
I would love to try pear.. I use kingsford for heat and I mix hickory and apple 50% for flavor. On chicken I use apple only.

Hickory/Mesquite and Oak for Beef. I like to use Cherry and or Apple with a little hickory for Pork.....None the less, all is good Q:icon_smil

Back