Do you ever mix your woods

I like to use red oak with a chunk-o-guava for fruit wood. I also like the Jack Daniels pellets.

Have had good experiences with pecan wood too.

Greg Kemp said:
I like to use red oak with a chunk-o-guava for fruit wood. I also like the Jack Daniels pellets.

Have had good experiences with pecan wood too.

Greg, I need to check into some guava wood from you this season. Rick Salmon swears by it for chicken.

stan said:
I use oak and pecan mixture most of the time. Sometimes Oak and a little mesquite.

Oak and pecan is my standard for brisket. Chicken usually gets cherry and pork gets a combo of whatever hits me at the time! Lately I've been using straight fruit woods for ribs, however. Guava really adds a nice flavor to ribs.

I use hickory with cherry and apple on everything. I only change the quantities and mix of wood depending on what I am smoking.

Mixed tropical wood

thirdeye said:
For a single wood, pecan is my favorite, followed by cherry and apple. I too like to mix fruit woods.

I start my salmon with alder/apple and finish it with cherry for the red color.

fe687265.jpg

But for dry ribs I go cherry all the way.

e45d672e.jpg

I'm on my second box of guava and really like it.

Hey, try mixing a little dry citrus with your guava. Make sure it is good and dry, I tried some that was wet and it turned my pork the color of my black behind.

Neil said:
As you can see, we like to mix it up. I'm with Thirdeye, Pecan rocks but very hard to come by up here in Michigan. I mostly cook with cherry, maple and apple.
I would love to try pear.. I use kingsford for heat and I mix hickory and apple 50% for flavor. On chicken I use apple only.

brdbbq said:
What the hell is Guava ?

You'll see.

Got one more person and Greg's getting an order for you from me (with love)

Remember, you took my pole.

Hickory/Mesquite and Oak for Beef. I like to use Cherry and or Apple with a little hickory for Pork.....None the less, all is good Q:icon_smil

Back