THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forgot to attach file

It's attached to this post.

Attachments

• dual_control_no_interlock.pdf
    12.2 KB · Views: 106
That's great. Thanks for the info. I'll pick up a couple of the TA4 controllers because it would make it easier to have temps in degrees F. I don't mean to be a pain but Just for curiosity sake what relay would I need to be able to shut off the element once the meat reaches temp.

That's great. Thanks for the info. I'll pick up a couple of the TA4 controllers because it would make it easier to have temps in degrees F. I don't mean to be a pain but Just for curiosity sake what relay would I need to be able to shut off the element once the meat reaches temp.

It's just a small 24vdc 2PDT relay that the current load is in the range that the SSR control output current capacity from the TA4 is not exceeded. I'll give you the options and a full parts list. If you want more meat probes it will require a controller for each probe.

Don't worry about being a pain. Due to medical reasons I'm restricted on the hours they'll let me work now and I'm going stir crazy. I've got years of design experience and am just needing something to do to keep from being bored silly. I find designing and documenting things relaxing. You will have options and we'll get exactly what you want configured.

Question about momentary switch 2

All - I've built the circuit as described. The PID control of the heater works great, but I can't figure out how to get the meat PID to break the circuit so that the heater turns permanently off. When I look up momentary switch on amazon, all the switches are push button. Surely these can't be the right ones? Can I get further explanation on the SW-2 in the circuit diagram? I attached a picture of my build so far.

Attachments

• 2017-06-17 09.20.42.jpg
    2017-06-17 09.20.42.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 109
Sw-2

SW-2 is a momentary spst switch. They are usually pushbutton but are also available as spring return momentary toggles.

The way this switch works is the circuit is open until the switch is pushed (or toggled in the case of a momentary toggle) and opens again when the switch is released.

The function of this switch in this circuit is to initially close the control relay. The relay is then "interlocked" or will stay energized allowing control voltage to operate the SSR. When the PID controller monitoring the meat reaches its set temperature it interrupts the voltage to the relay and the relay drops and interrupts the circuit so the burner control PID controller can't turn on the burner (or fan, etc).

This part of the circuit is similar to the low voltage side of a interlocking 3 phase motor control circuit.

Last edited:
Fish Smoker

I want to run 2 - 2500 watt heating elements in my home built fish smoker. It holds about 80 - 2 pound fish, 40 in each smoking compartment.

Back