Discussion Thread -> "Let's Get Pickled!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Looks great!

How did that combo taste? I like the sweet and spicy combo and Habanaro is the best tasting pepper.

Makes me want to try that! (but not an entry)

What a great idea, Silver! I happen to already love artichoke/asiago dip, filling dills with it, wrapping with bacon and rolling in brown sugar/drizzling with maple syrup sounds delicious! I'm slowly getting used to using sugar in savoury cooking sometimes, this is something I'd like to try myself. I think the jalepeno would set it off nicely, too.

This is me entering my pickle

entry.

The menu is:
Soup and sandwich special.
Polish pickle soup,
Toasted Rubin sandwich with non-fried pickle chips.
Desert included.

I bought a corned beef brisket (pickled meat) to make pastrami and soaked it for 2 days in water changing it out every eight hours or so to draw out the salt.
Then I spiced it up and let it sit for a while.

View attachment 83596

I got the temp on the Kamado to 275 or so and let it cook for about 4 hours with some oak chunks for smoke.

View attachment 83598

After about 4.5 hours it's almost done

View attachment 83599

So it's time to wrap it in butcher paper and let it cook for another hour

View attachment 83600

Then into the cooler for a rest

View attachment 83601

For the Polish Pickle Soup ingredients is chicken broth, potatoes,carrots,dill pickles,butter, flour, sour cream pickle juice, Old Bay seasoning, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper

View attachment 83603

All chopped up

View attachment 83604

Put into a pot and simmer, let the potatoes get tender, about 20 minutes.

View attachment 83605

Then add chopped pickles and cook a bit more.

View attachment 83606

When you add the sour cream, flour and pickle juice you beat it in with a whisk and break up the potatoes and it becomes thick.

Lets get the pickle chips going. For the coating we need Panko, French Fried Onions, egg whites flour, Gallic powder, etc

View attachment 83607

Slice the pickles then flour, egg wash and Panko/ French fried onions

View attachment 83610

Battered pickles ready to cook in the Kamado @ 425 for 20 minutes.

View attachment 83611

The meat is ready to slice

View attachment 83612
View attachment 83613

What we have here is baby swiss and Gruyère cheese

View attachment 83614

Lets make a Rubin Sandwich with pastrami (pickled meat), sauerkraut (pickled cabbage), Russian dressing (with pickles) and cheese.

View attachment 83615

Put it on the griddle....Toasty!

View attachment 83616

Here is the plate shot with Polish pickle soup, Rubin Sandwich, and pickle chips with dipping sauce

View attachment 83617

My wife who is the confectioner of the family, proudly pronounced "Pickles?, I'm in!" and with that she found a pickle cupcake and a pickle ice cream recipe and added to the puckering possibilities.

Yes, dill pickle ice cream.

View attachment 83618

The soup was good, but I would cut the pickle juice in half if I ever make it again. Its like a German potato salad.

Well thanks for looking, we're puckered out...It was fun!

Please use this as my entry shot

View attachment 83617

Last edited:
How do you BBQ a pickle? That is the question.

Well this might be one way.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168160

Even if that doesn't count I guess you can call this my official entry.

I used some mesquite Lump with apple wood. This was a long overnight cook on a 8 pound shoulder at 215 with a slight variation on the Chris Lilly injection and rub.

Please use this photo

thanks for looking

Gonna take three days in the soak but...

Made me some pickle juice...

pickle_zps4d75f1d2.jpg

pickle1_zps54936e23.jpg

This has been a posting of the Emergency Tease System. If this had been a real tease, more details would have followed.

Oh...made some more pickle juice. Simple though. Just rice vinegar, sugar, salt and ice...

Last edited:
Back