Discussion Thread -> "Let's Get Pickled!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new TD category is...

"Let's Get Pickled!"

Wow. That Category sure came out of left field!
:laugh:

As chosen by Ron_L for his Eggplant win in the "Eggplant And Or Tofu" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Ron_L said:

OK Brethren and Sisthren! You've seen mine, now it's time to show me your pickles! Sweet, Dill, Bread and butter, Relish, okra, or pig's feet. Anything pickled!

As always, the pickled ingredient must be featured prominently in your dish. How you do that is up to you!

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 8/9 through Sunday 8/18.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 8/19.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Click HERE to go to the off topic, often nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussion thread.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Just so it's in this thread, too...

Let's use this definition of pickling...

http://pickling.askdefine.com/

Extensive Definition

Pickling, also known as brining or corning, is the process of preserving food by anaerobic fermentation in brine (a solution of salt in water), to produce lactic acid, or marinating and storing it in an acid solution, usually vinegar (acetic acid). The resulting food is called a pickle. This procedure gives the food a salty or sour taste.
The distinguishing feature is a pH less than 4.6, which is sufficient to kill most necrobacteria. Pickling can preserve perishable foods for months. Antimicrobial herbs and spices, such as mustard, garlic, cinnamon or cloves, are often added.
If the food contains sufficient moisture, a pickling brine may be produced simply by adding dry salt. For example, sauerkraut and Korean kimchi are produced by salting the vegetables to draw out excess water. Natural fermentation at room temperature, by lactic acid bacteria, produces the required acidity. Other pickles are made by placing vegetables in vinegar. Unlike the canning process, pickling (which includes fermentation) does not require that the food be completely sterile before it is sealed. The acidity or salinity of the solution, the temperature of fermentation, and the exclusion of oxygen determine which microorganisms dominate, and determine the flavor of the end product.
When both salt concentration and temperature are low, Leuconostoc mesenteroides dominates, producing a mix of acids, alcohol, and aroma compounds. At higher temperatures Lactobacillus plantarum dominates, which produces primarily lactic acid. Many pickles start with Leuconostoc, and change to Lactobacillus with higher acidity.
Pickling began as a way to preserve food for out-of-season use and for long journeys, especially by sea. Salt pork and salt beef were common staples for sailors before the days of steam engines. Although the process was invented to preserve foods, pickles are also made and eaten because people enjoy the resulting flavors. Pickling may also improve the nutritious value of food by introducing B vitamins produced by bacteria.

The key points to me are in bold. Simply sticking a chicken breast or pork chop (or other meats) in a brine is not pickling, so don't ask :-D

There are a lot of ideas in the article about pickles from other countries.

Also, later in the article I found this...

Other foods that are commonly pickled

Vegetables: ginger, lotus root, garlic, asparagus, onion, radish, green beans, eggplant
Capers and olives are usually served pickled in the West (unlike the salt-cured versions favored in the Orient).
Fruit: mango, kumquat, lemon, peach, watermelon rind
Peppers and chiles: banana peppers, jalapeños, etc.,
Meat: beef (to make corned beef and pastrami), pork, ham
Fish see also ceviche
Eggs
Okra

So, yes, I would say that corned beef, pastrami, ham, etc. would be considered pickles.

BUT... IMHO that would be taking the easy way out :-D

What if I smoked a pickle loaf?

pickleloaf.jpg

Hmmm...

Discussion Thread -> "Let's Get Pickled!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Wouldn't be great if we had a separate thread for nonsensical, confusing, and downright bizarre discussions on this throwdown?

Oh wait...

We do!

Hint... hint... :mod:

No, seriously. If you can smoke a chub of bologna, why not pickle loaf? It does have pickled ingredients.

No, seriously. If you can smoke a chub of bologna, why not pickle loaf? It does have pickled ingredients.

The pickled ingredient must be featured prominently in your dish. How you do that is up to you! If you feel that the pickled ingredients in pickle loaf are prominently featured, go for it. Ultimately, the voters will decide.

Does your pickled product you pick have to be cooked or can it be applied to something else you cooked outside?

The pickled ingredient must be featured prominently in your dish. How you do that is up to you!

Standard throwdown rules apply.

5. Entries must be Grilled or Smoked during the cooking process, or must prominently feature Grilled or Smoked ingredients which you prepared. Photos of your food on the grill or smoker are encouraged but not required (we love action shots).

OK. I really hate pickle loaf, I think...haven't had it for years...but I've never had it smoked which might improve it. Also, It may need additional pickling as a whole. Or...dang. I have an idea. I've skipped a couple TDs but I'm definitely not missing out on Mr. Pickle's Pickle Party.

OK. I really hate pickle loaf, I think...haven't had it for years...but I've never had it smoked which might improve it. Also, It may need additional pickling as a whole. Or...dang. I have an idea. I've skipped a couple TDs but I'm definitely not missing out on Mr. Pickle's Pickle Party.
Me neither, I am down here in Chili now, looking for something to pickle!

This is The (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only) Thread!

:tsk:

Listen up!

What part of (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only) do some of you farkers not understand???

I just had to move a post to the (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*) thread.

Again, THIS is the (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only) thread.

:mod:

:focus:

Official Entry

I guess I will call this "Pickled Heat, Bacon & Sweet "

Here are the ingredients I started with.
IMG_7508_zpsaae952ca.jpg

First I started with Vlasic Pickles, cut them in half and cut out the center.
IMG_75082_zps738f7749.jpg

IMG_7531_zps8ae8be0b.jpg

I used this tool to cut out the center. It worked out real well. Made it easy!
IMG_7527_zpsf581a534.jpg

IMG_7526_zps7534cc6b.jpg

Then I stuffed the pickles with Stenemill Kitchens Artichoke & Jalapeño and Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Dust. Never tried this mixture before but it just sounded great!
IMG_7512_zps9fb808b7.jpg

IMG_7516_zpsa5e09153.jpg

IMG_7534_zps67ab2ba6.jpg

IMG_7538_zps17e0fd99.jpg

Then I wrapped them in Hickory Smoked Bacon and rolled them in Brown Sugar!
IMG_7548_zps1354629e.jpg

IMG_7551_zpsf9856f7c.jpg

IMG_7556_zps5ac2532b.jpg

I put them on my weber kettle and once they started getting warm I coated them with Maple Syrup my wife brought back from her Alaska cruise and gave them another sprinkle of Habanero Death Dust! Then I let them get crispy so I had my pickles wrapped in pig candy:becky:
IMG_7576_zpse38ef12b.jpg

IMG_7515_zps90738f0b.jpg

IMG_7602_zpsda0525dc.jpg

IMG_7616_zps3d291749.jpg

I just want to say that when I started this cook I was not sure what the outcome would be like. I like everything I put into it, I just did not know if they would complement each other.
Im amazed at how great they tasted! Just Incredible:becky:

Please use this as my money shot and THANKS FOR LOOKING!

IMG_7576_zpse38ef12b.jpg

Last edited:
Back