Did my first farmers market...and sold out

yea... and take a picture of 50 racks on your drums... I would love to see what this looks like.

-Jeep

I can't believe some states let people serve food off of drums, I wish Minnesota would relax the rules a little

yea... and take a picture of 50 racks on your drums... I would love to see what this looks like.

-Jeep

Thanks for all the kind words. Not sure I can do 50 on just 4 drums. I'm thinking of somewhere around 36. Would mean an even earlier start but that's fine if they will sell.....:biggrin1:

I am in Brigantine next week... As long as I can find the place I can't wait to be a customer!

Well, today's market came and went. I'm not trying to brag at all.....just sharing with my Brethren what's happening on my end. Decided to up the ante and do 36 racks for today's market. Started cooking VERY early. Market opened at 8:30AM. Was completely sold out by 10:15AM :biggrin1::biggrin1:

I'm bumping it up to 48 racks next week plus beef ribs....had a ton of people asking for them. Will probably do 8 racks of them, too.

Had the pleasure of meeting a Brethren. I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but he was a really nice guy. He bought a rack so I'm feeling the pressure...I hope he liked them :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sounds like ya need to build some more drums.:becky:

Put one up for sale and see what happens. Ya can tell the people the ribs were cooked on one just like it.

Would love to see some pics also, but sounds like he has his hands full. Maybe a few pics of the empty UDS, we might get that. Personal question I know, but what kind of profit margin do you think you're at? I'm considering doing ribs at a local festival early next year, I think they would be a hit here too.

Well, today's market came and went. I'm not trying to brag at all.....just sharing with my Brethren what's happening on my end. Decided to up the ante and do 36 racks for today's market. Started cooking VERY early. Market opened at 8:30AM. Was completely sold out by 10:15AM :biggrin1::biggrin1:

I'm bumping it up to 48 racks next week plus beef ribs....had a ton of people asking for them. Will probably do 8 racks of them, too.

Had the pleasure of meeting a Brethren. I'm sorry I can't remember his name, but he was a really nice guy. He bought a rack so I'm feeling the pressure...I hope he liked them :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Dan, it was a pleasure meeting you today! And yes, we did like the ribs.

My boss and I took an extremely early lunch just to get there before you sold out, not sure when I will be able to do that again.

Im sure you will have a great summer at that location, and agree with your wanting to only sell full racks of ribs. You're Right at the entrance, and the market is in the parking lot of one of the more expensive restaurants in Margate. People shopping there can easliy afford a full rack of ribs. :mrgreen:

It was also good to see your ugly drums smokers, I will be sure to make one.

Here is a photo of our partially eaten rib. You nailed the color, they looked great coming off the UDS.

Chris

25ab04b4.jpg

How are you packaging them to be carried away?

They were well wrapped in a layer of aluminum foil followed by butcher paper and tape.

May want to get some plastic bags, even though the hippies don't like plastic! The ribs were right off the smoker and were a little hot to carry around. Thanks for wrapping mine in another layer to make it more comfortable to carry.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words guys. I keep meaning to take pics of everything cooked but it gets busy and I always forget. I try to keep the set up basic so it's still functional while being easier to break down...2 tables, 4 drums (soon to be 6), pop up tent, and butcher paper/foil for wrapping (plus hand washing stuff). I do have a pic of my set up but for some reason I'm not getting the option to add an attachment to this?????:confused::confused:

Chris, really nice to meet you and glad you liked the ribs. Not sure why but it was kinda nerve racking knowing a Brethren was trying my stuff...:biggrin1: If you need a hand or anything with building a UDS let me know. I'm certainly not an expert, but I can make a simple yet VERY effective smoker....

My setup

Like I said....simple but effective. The ribs stay in the smokers and I pull them out as needed. I'm looking at a cambro for holding and am sourcing 2 more drums for next week.....

Last edited:
Another farmers market came and went today. 48 racks of spares and 8 racks of beef ribs.....sold out at 11AM :biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1:

I'm really starting to like selling ribs.....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

I'm getting $25 for spares and $30 for beef ribs. I got the barrels from a public works guy that ordered extras for his municipality....traded them for ribs....:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Back