Salmon curing

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Got one thing off the to-do list today. I got salmon curing in the refrigerator. It'll get smoked on Tuesday, probably. Or Wednesday. Used two different recipes.

First is a simple Five-Spice mix

Ingredients (by weight of the filet)

2% coarse kosher salt
2% white sugar
1% Five Spice powder
0.25% cure#1

The second is a more complicated spice mix

Ingredients (by weight of the filet)

2% coarse kosher salt
2% white sugar
0.5% ground coriander
0.5% paprika
0.5% ground bay leaf
0.5% mustard powder
0.25% white pepper
0.25% onion powder
0.25% cure#1

In both cases, I whisk the spice mix to combine, rub the filet, and put it in a vacuum bag with all of the spice mix, distributing the spice mix as evenly as possible before vacuum sealing.

Then I refrigerate for two to three days before unbagging, rinsing off and patting dry. It goes back into the fridge on a rack overnight. The next day it cold smokes for 4 hours.

It gets repacked until needed. If it is going to be more than a week, I freeze it.

I'll be interested to read your reviews, smoking fish are one of my passions. Are you using skin-on or skinless fillets? And did you pull a full vacuum on the bags? And since you are cold smoking are you going for a Nova lox kind of product?

I'll be interested to read your reviews, smoking fish are one of my passions. Are you using skin-on or skinless fillets? And did you pull a full vacuum on the bags? And since you are cold smoking are you going for a Nova lox kind of product?

Skin-on filets

full vacuum it's a "dry cure", so no moisture until it's been in the bag for awhile.

Yes, it's a lox sort of thing.

Skin-on filets

full vacuum it's a "dry cure", so no moisture until it's been in the bag for awhile.

Yes, it's a lox sort of thing.

xAgXOXs.jpg

Well, the dry cure should change into a syrup within the first hour or two, which acts like a liquid brine. If you even think the vacuum is restricting the movement of liquid in the bag, poke a small hole in the upside (skin side) of the bag to release pressure. You won't be overhauling, so the hole will never leak.

xAgXOXs.jpg

Well, the dry cure should change into a syrup within the first hour or two, which acts like a liquid brine. If you even think the vacuum is restricting the movement of liquid in the bag, poke a small hole in the upside (skin side) of the bag to release pressure. You won't be overhauling, so the hole will never leak.

Never had a problem with distribution of liquid.

Cold smoked? I've only done hot smoked so far and Gravlax. Need to try cold smoking it after curing.

Back