Stuffed Onions ~ Cook's Thread ~"Four Ingredient MSU Challenge" TD

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
As if the title isn't a mouthful..... These are actually Blue cheese, jalapeno, seasoned beef-stuffed onions with dry salami, wrapped in home made bacon.... topped with with a Bacon Hot Pepper Jam & Makers Mark glaze. :loco: :twitch:

Required Ingredients:

Meat Protein: Ground beef. Extras: dry cured bacon, hard salami, egg (hey, it's a young chicken :rolleyes:).

Fruit/Peppers: Jalapeno.

Liquid: Makers Mark Whiskey. Extras: Ice water. Stand-by liquid: Beer for the cook.

Cheese: Hi-temp Blue cheese

1w1lzAX.jpg

This starts off NICE AND EASY and then the going gets a little rougher. :biggrin1:

I hollowed out some onions, and put some salami in the bottom to control leakage.

m76slJw.jpg

v427Waq.jpg

The stuffing is ground beef, jalapeno, Blue cheese, egg, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, paprika, salt, pepper and some iced water for binding. Then I wrapped with 2 slices of my XX cold smoked bacon. Second seasoning was black pepper, Smokin' Guns Hot and more cheese just for looks.

yAmAtfB.jpg

UaoPEE5.jpg

The glaze is a mixture of Bacon Hot Pepper Jam with one-finger of Makers Mark whiskey. Cooking was way easy.... raised direct in a cast iron platter with a 275° pit temp and wine barrel splits for smoke. Cook time to 157° internal was about 1 hour. Because of the mass, I glazed during a 10 minute rest.

JxJtB4R.jpg

That's a first for me. Ive made stuffed peppers, stuffed tomatoes, and stuffed cabbage. Never thought to try Onions. Thanks for the idea.

Wow. This is a carb less deal I can make. Looks great! Might modify it.

Wow. That looks awesome. I’m making this and may not even share with the fam. No I will… probably…

Can’t help but notice the amount of Makers that you used is a little inconsistent with what’s left in the bottle. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Those look fantastic!

I make a very similar dish, but mine aren't nearly as photogenic.
My filling is usually cream cheese, jalapenos, chopped bacon and whatever else in the fridge that sounds good.
Time to step up my game!

What a great meal or in some cases appetizer :-D

That's a first for me. Ive made stuffed peppers, stuffed tomatoes, and stuffed cabbage. Never thought to try Onions. Thanks for the idea.

Wow. This is a carb less deal I can make. Looks great! Might modify it.

Those look fantastic!

I make a very similar dish, but mine aren't nearly as photogenic.
My filling is usually cream cheese, jalapenos, chopped bacon and whatever else in the fridge that sounds good.
Time to step up my game!

Thanks for the kind words....

I usually make them with the smaller yellow onions with a filling similar to stuffed bell peppers OR with a Mexi-style filling using chorizo and ground pork and pepper jack. The heat from the yellow onions cooks out much like the jalapenos on an ABT. And if the onions are the right size, one strip of pounded bacon will make a full wrap. These ↑↑↑ have two strips of bacon.

But recently I saw a guy online make them with sweet onions and a jalapeno/cheese sausage. Then another cook followed with a Swedish meatball mixture and served them with gravy and egg noodles... so the possibilities are endless. I have not tried Italian yet, but I bet a lasagna style of filling mix (maybe with pepperoni) would be really good.

That looks and sounds incredible!!! May be stealing this idea...:wink:

I don't think I'm the only one doing something like this. There is a skillet version where you simmer the onions and slip the individual shells. They are filled and placed in a cast iron skillet and some liquid is added and then baked. Less onion and more filling in this version. Really good with mushroom gravy.

I'm still giggling from the "put salami in the bottom to control leakage". :laugh:

Heheheee, yeah it's weird. I've scraped some out and the bottom stays intact, on others a little core piece wants to slip out, and that leaves a tiny hole. I have plugged it with hi-temp cheese and that works too.

Back