Competition travel set up

Hot Sauce Hoss,

Short Answer
I just completed my first comp season and recommend getting a mentor, help a team at a comp or two, do a test comp in the backyard, take a lot of notes and gear up as needed. If possible, rent first and buy only what you need. Spend your money once!

Long Answer
About this time last year, I was in a similar position as you now. After a couple of years of practicing in the backyard, I wanted to compete. I had a Traeger, a Weber OTG, no truck, no trailer and no idea how to gear up for a competition. Additionally, I have herniated disks, so I was concerned that I may not be able to keep up physically and wanted to know before spending a lot of money on this new hobby.

In February 2010, I ended up contacting a team I had met a couple years back at a local comp my son and I were checking out and asked them if they needed a hand or would be willing to mentor me. Shannon with H*QUE was gracious enough to bring me and my son along to four comps. It not only gave me the confidence that I could physically keep up, but also gave me an idea of how a comp schedule runs.

In April, I put on a test comp in my backyard, took notes on everything ... gear, time, meats and timing. I staged in my yard and if I crossed the patio into the house for anything, I noted it for my next shopping trips. I invited my mentor and other competitors to come judge my turn-ins KCBS style. I got great feedback, both positive and negative, that helped me prepare.
setup_1.jpeg

By this time, I had added a WSM 22 as well.
setup_2.jpeg

In May, I bought a two year old truck, added another WSM 22 and rented a 4x8 cargo trailer for our first comp. My son and I slept on the grass, we had fun, took more notes and made friends too.
setup_3.jpeg

Never stop optimizing, reorganizing and eliminating as needed.
setup_4.jpeg

In June, after looking around for a couple of months, I found a great deal on a three year old 26 foot toy hauler. This is our sleeping quarters as well as garage for everything. It works very well for us, keeping us dry, cool or warm as needed and clean. At this point, I load up the coolers in the back of the truck, hitch up the trailer and head out.
setup_5.jpeg

The bed in the back folds up against the wall for my smokers.
setup_6.jpeg

Setup, cleanup and breakdown are getting easier each comp.
setup_7.jpeg

Barbecue has become a passion, competing is a lot of fun and just as much work, but it does not feel like work at all. I have met some of the best people in the barbecue community and would not trade this experience for anything.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited:
Write down the things you absolutely must have... cookers, charcoal, knives... everything that is needed to prep, cook, and present the final product. Honestly it's not that much stuff. After that most everything else is just pure convinience so you can grow your set up as finances allow.

Also learn to "stuff stuff in stuff". That's my ongoing joke here. For example cambros are nice boxes for keeping food warm. They're also great for transporting other boxes, lights, paper towels and so on. Wash bins hold my extention cords and it's amazing how much a UDS with a plastic liner can hold. Buy an expandable trash can at wallmart and use your blankets for sleeping to hold everything that is packed in place. Harry Soo wins award after award with two WSMs and a mini van. Good luck and have fun.

We run with a 40" Custom Double-Decker Trailer (5th wheel) for party/prep and a Tucker for cooking (towed seperately)

We typically load a lot of the stuff onto the trailer (you can see our flooring panels on the trailer in this shot here:
30637_391165361622_547146622_4249963_1002261_n.jpg

Then we'll drop the flooring & carpet
30637_391165916622_547146622_4249981_5870617_n.jpg

Roll in the bars, set up the fencing...
30637_391166526622_547146622_4250033_3381622_n.jpg

Then load in food, kegs, taps, signage, etc...
30759_392494301622_547146622_4280246_3912828_n.jpg

We usually set up a pop tent on the back of our spot for our fryers as well:
32259_393283471622_547146622_4295660_1386560_n.jpg

The Tucker (our primary cooker) is way out back on our plot of land to help our cooking team stay away from the chaos of the party.
31309_393422131622_547146622_4298309_1822730_n.jpg

looks like you are a drinking team with a cooking problem. :)

We've got just enough calls to keep the cooks happy, but we're getting more serious about both aspects (cooking & partying). We're hoping for no less than 3 calls this year at MIM and the goal is to make Finals.

We just missed it at 10th last year and we weren't even that happy with our turn-in. During onsite we were one bone not pulling clean away from straight 10's... dem's de breaks.

A possible Red Bull sponsorship this year might take us to another level... we shall see. Going to be interesting trying to work that into a sauce.

We've got just enough calls to keep the cooks happy, but we're getting more serious about both aspects (cooking & partying). We're hoping for no less than 3 calls this year at MIM and the goal is to make Finals.

We just missed it at 10th last year and we weren't even that happy with our turn-in. During onsite we were one bone not pulling clean away from straight 10's... dem's de breaks.

A possible Red Bull sponsorship this year might take us to another level... we shall see. Going to be interesting trying to work that into a sauce.

Very cool. I'd love to cook MIM but I need to step up and get some sponsorship myself to even think about it.

In June, after looking around for a couple of months, I found a great deal on a three year old 26 foot toy hauler. This is our sleeping quarters as well as garage for everything. It works very well for us, keeping us dry, cool or warm as needed and clean.

How does the Tundra tow the Hobbi, Michael? i have a Nissan titan that has basically the same towing specs.

You never realize haw bad you look on Saturday morning till ya see your self in Rons album. :redface:

We have a 1979 6x10 foot enclosed trailer that is pulled my my 1998 Navigator. Sorry we don’t have any pictures but we fit every thing inside for the trip including our Lang 60. Once it’s empty, we set up a queen size air bed to crash out for a couple of hours…

You never realize haw bad you look on Saturday morning till ya see your self in Rons album. :redface:
Tell me about it!!!!

At least you weren’t wearing yellow boots!

At least you weren’t wearing yellow boots!

Nope I leave those Yeller boots at the farm .Brown ones or black ones for the comps :becky:

Mod edit: Fixed broken quote

The most succesful team that I have had close contact with fits it ALL in a minivan. (Yes, the cookers too).

:tape:

We started with a couple of WSMs and just threw everything in the car. We were so afraid of missing stuff, we brought too much. (Fair warning: now we have an RV, 3 Trailers, 5 smokers, and 3 grills. :crazy: One comp this year also included a 24' pirate ship. It's a sickness.)

I would suggest doing a practice cook outside. Leave all your stuff in the house, and as you need it, go get it. Anything you didn't need from the house you won't need in the competition either. Less is more, especially when you are trying to pack up in a downpour.

By the way great pirate ship !

Hoss, you're in the same position we were when we started. We didn't own anything even remotely suitable for hauling or towing. What we ended up doing for quite some time was borrowing or renting a 5'x8' trailer, and putting a hitch on our Lincoln towncar. It had to be one of the more bizarre pairings seen on the road, and we took some ribbing for it, but it worked just fine.

After inheriting a minivan, we now have a stripped-down pack consisting of:
4 18.5" WSMs
charcoal, wood, chimney etc.
2 Caravan canopies
6 sandbags to hold the canopies down
3 6' tables, 1 4' table, 2 smaller tables
a Cambro full of pans, foil, etc.
2 coolers -- one for meat, one for other perishables
a box of cleaning supplies
a box of food supplies/sauce/etc.
a box of electrical things (clock, cords, lights, etc.)
a box of Stoker equipment
3 toolboxes with small stuff
2 sling chairs, a sleeping bag and cot, 2 standing mats

Yes, it all wedges into the van. After it's exploded, it looks like this:

campsetup.jpg

You will very quickly find that the less you bring, the less you have to shag and set up, knock down and clean when it's over.

I started with a 1994 Nissan pickup, towing around my home made Lang 60 clone, an EZup, and a WSM. On the long trips over a few hours I would leave the stick burner at home and take 2 WSMs.

WSMs.jpg

I got tired of the flimsy EZup so I made a semi-enclosed trailer from an open utility trailer. I had also moved up to an '06 Dodge 2500 w/the Cummins diesel.

Eventually I saved enough money to build my current trailer which has the things to keep me comfortable when I go out 25-35 times a year, like A/C, a hot shower, and a toilet :whoo:. I don't have a picture of it opened up but here it is closed. It has a 10' porch on back with 2 mounted Stumps Smokers, and a 10' enclosed area with the creature comforts listed above, a stainless prep/work area, and my fold away cot:

dsc_0645.jpg

This setup has been serving me well and is very functional :wink:

We just started in April 2010. I rented a cargo van, loaded my CGS, ez up, a screened tent, several coolers, chairs, fire pit, radio, fuel, and lights. Another member had a generator and a hot plate for our beans. Got a 2nd place trophy on beans now we're all hooked! Just did the one comp due to health reasons but we're shooting for 5 or 6 this year, AND we've upgraded to a BWS Fatboy. Just get out there and do it. I've met the best people so far!

I am busting at the seems to get started now with all this wonderful advice. We are
honored you guys/gals care enough to share your pics and stories. We will find a way for sure, and these pics and stories are G R E A T !!!!!! :-D

Hot Sauce Hoss
( on the way to being a farker )

How does the Tundra tow the Hobbi, Michael? i have a Nissan titan that has basically the same towing specs.

The Tundra does a great job. The Hobbi with empty tanks and my gear is right around 5,100 lbs. I do notice the difference before and after dumping black and grey water tanks.

I have driven round trip to Columbia several times and it handles the hills well. Actually, I have found the sweet spot to be right around 80mph for those rolling hills. If I get stuck in traffic at 65-70mph, it seems to bounce between gears from the flats to the hills.

Last year was our rookie season and we piled all of our gear in a borrowed F150 and a 5x8 utility trailer. We slept under our two EZ-Ups. We are hoping to get our own 20 foot enclosed trailer with heat and AC this year.

Our 1st year we used a 20 x 20 pole tent - we could fit everything we needed on my trailer pit or the back of a ext. cab Silverado. LOTS of packing/unpacking and break down but you couldn't miss us at a comp ;)

DSCF0002.JPG

Our 2nd year I had a custom built trailer made with all the fun stuff including sides that turned into a roof, sinks, hot/cold water and anything I could think of to make it easier. We packed a lot less in the truck. Then we bought a RV and too it all to each comp.

P1010795.JPG

P1010797.JPG

Final run with the RV and trailer here -
IMG_0838.JPG

This last year I downsized heavily, and got down to 1 trailer and the Tundra. The trailer is a 05 Play Mor Toy Hauler (made right here in MO!) and tows very well with my Tundra.

Here's how we look today -
P1030127.JPG

The trailer is the best thing yet - I must admit, I enjoy sleeping in the A/C on a semi confortable bed (after those first couple of years doing an air matress or chair), having a dry place to be inside or warm if I need it. Toilet is over the top! Especially in the middle of the night.

I loved my large setups for the fun factor, but the work got old - so I have really enjoyed getting the toy hauler and getting down to minimal setup/cleanup. Plus I built in sinks in the toy hauler area - so we have a dish washing prep area in there when the pit is moved out - we can cook out of our trailer entirely if needed without having to unload much. It sure makes cooking a lot more fun - plus we keep all the supplied stocked in it over the season, so a quick inventory before we go shopping and we restock and we just load 3 plastic tubs, and charcoal,wood and a few other odds and ends - usually takes about 2 hours to head out for a comp if everything goes well.

Hope this helps a bit!

I started in my pickup truck with a shell on the bed with all the equipment in the back. About 6 months into competing, I switched to FEC100. Many contests I'd lay it on its back, stick a WSM in the cooking chamber and pile stuff around the FEC. Then came the trailer, then a bigger truck to make towing easier. Then I got the pellet Jambo, which meant I was back to loading up the back of the truck and towing the cooker. Got real lucky and won the downpayment for a Class B conversion van. Makes it almost too comfortable cooking contests (and my scores show that)! But it cut out about 25% of my fuel costs traveling. Funny, but after 6 years of doing what we do, I'm still simplifying my "must have" list. More stuff you have, more it slows you down. Oh, and no matter what, you'll always forget something! Managing that and working thru it is a biggie. Last contest I cooked, I forgot my overnight bag with clothes...had a change in the van, thank goodness!

This last year I downsized heavily, and got down to 1 trailer and the Tundra. The trailer is a 05 Play Mor Toy Hauler (made right here in MO!) and tows very well with my Tundra.

How long is the Play Mor? Do you know the specs (GVWR, Cargo carrying capacity, tongue weight?). I've looked at a couple of toy haulers that are similar (Work-n-Play, Campmaster). The W-n-P are all very heavy compared to the Campmaster.

Back