• Fruit

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Dessert

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Other

Votes: 37 69.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
We usually only do the 4 main KCBS categories. If there is a sausage category we may through on a fattie if we remember in time.

I liked doing the Iron Chef in Yardley. Problem was the top several did not highlight the 3 ingredients like the T.V. show requires. I took 10th behind turn ins that there is no way you could tell there was Talipia, corn or sweet potatos in it. That is what Iron Chef is, you are give a "main" ingredient to use and it must be highlighted in the dish. if you highlight limes you loose points big time as you did not showcase the main items. Its like turning in a Twinkie and winning.

I like the dessert category but I think the rules must preface that they are cooked/mixed/baked/frozen on site with the use of a grill/smoker for some phase of the prep. To prepare on site does not mean to take it out of a store bought package and put it on a fancy plate. Similar to the official checking of the meats before BBQ prep, the other category maybe shoud also be checked to verify they were not prepared before the comp.

I also like the Iron Chef idea but fear I wouldn't have enough staples (e.g. butter, milk, etc) with me to prepare compared to competitors in big RVs with kitchens.

LindaM

Dessert is always the judges favorite, however I don't see that as a cooking challange, as most of you already said, there are many store bought products and how so we tell.

Iron Chef started at the Liberty Bell in 2003 in PA. It was such a success that Wildwood now does it as well as BBQ on the Farm, formally BBQ on the River. It is a real challange when you as a cook receive the ingredients at the cooks meeting and depending on the contest either have a few hours or until the next day to create something. No store purchased items at this turn in. At what creativity. Open garnish by all means. Organizers can get local supermarkets to donate the product and prize money. IT is a pretty easy sell.

I voted other

I would like to see a cevapcici(pronounced che-vap-chi-chi) category.(croatian sausage) :biggrin:

Well who wouldn't??????:rolleyes:

I voted other. Just like the others have said, should be made on site.

I think IA State Championships in Marshalltown had an Iron Chef and "Dammit Andy" played and scored. Maybe he'll chime in.
ModelMaker

Our team I think struggles with a grilling category the first time we see it, regardless of what it is... but that is getting better. The only thing we ever have prepared prior to an event is sausage; everything else is made on site (including a blueberry cheesecake/crust cooked in the lang). I think in NEBS we see a lot more of this than in other regions, this year for example we have seen:

Vegetable, beef steak, sausage, fish, fish fillet, sirloin steak, pizza, blueberries, lobster, scallops, fruit, chefs choice + beer sauce, pork chop, chicken wings, pork tenderloin...

and we didn't even compete in the 900 category event in CT...

Dessert is always the judges favorite, however I don't see that as a cooking challange, as most of you already said, there are many store bought products and how so we tell.

Iron Chef started at the Liberty Bell in 2003 in PA. It was such a success that Wildwood now does it as well as BBQ on the Farm, formally BBQ on the River. It is a real challange when you as a cook receive the ingredients at the cooks meeting and depending on the contest either have a few hours or until the next day to create something. No store purchased items at this turn in. At what creativity. Open garnish by all means. Organizers can get local supermarkets to donate the product and prize money. IT is a pretty easy sell.

Linda,

Post in the Cattle Call section and introduce yourself.

I typically don't like the grilling contests on Saturday. I don't mind a few extra categories on regular turn in day.

My favorite is how they do Wildwood. On Friday night they give you one main Iron Chief ingredient. The turn in is totally open garnish, must fit in a full foil pan. The last few years have been turkey,shrimp, pork loin, eggs and last year some kind of fish. There is also a desert category that the team likes to cook. I like how they do the IC money at Yardley. Each team pays an additional $25 to enter the Iron Chief and the winning team gets all the cash.

who buys their dessert entry?

as most of you already said, there are many store bought products ....

Now that just bums me out. I would hate to think that whatever dessert I cooked, which we always cook ONSITE with charcoal, by the way,got beat out by something that was bought.

That right there should be key, I think, in any BBQ/grilling competition category, but I can see the problem...how would you know?

If I saw someone unwrapping something from a store to be turned in... and I think I speak for most of NEBS teams... it wouldn't go unmentioned.

Now that just bums me out. I would hate to think that whatever dessert I cooked, which we always cook ONSITE with charcoal, by the way,got beat out by something that was bought.

That right there should be key, I think, in any BBQ/grilling competition category, but I can see the problem...how would you know?

If I saw someone unwrapping something from a store to be turned in... and I think I speak for most of NEBS teams... it wouldn't go unmentioned.

Totaly agree...what the heck is the point then. Last time I did a dessert I did Pumpkin Creme' Brulee on site...took 3rd to a 1st carmel cheesecake I believe....hmmmmm I wonder:confused:

desserts cooked with fire!

here are some... best showing has been a coupla 5ths. :-D

Attachments

• DSC04094.jpg
    DSC04094.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02650.jpg
    DSC02650.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC03281.jpg
    DSC03281.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 53
Nice work, Michelle! Personally I hate desserts (don't eat them, don't cook them), but those look amazing!

Back