Jerk Injected Grilled Turkey Breast - Ton of Pr0n!

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
I was at a local kitchen store this summer buying an instant read thermometer when I saw this great meat injector that I totally impulse bought. It was stainless steel with two different size injection tubes to accommodate thicker sauces but for some reason I had yet to use it. Now that I have, I can’t believe I waited so long. The results were outstanding and I’m ecstatic at how well it worked. With the second, larger “needle” I was able to inject my favorite jerk marinade into the turkey breast and it’s some thick stuff as you will see a little farther down. You can get the same injector I got here: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GI9M0E/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001GI9M0E&linkCode=as2&tag=grifoo-20"]Kuchenprofi Marinade Injector[/ame]
ir

The ingredients in this are few.
Jerk Injected Grilled Turkey Breast Ingredients:
2 tbsp Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning
2 tbsp Village Press olive oil
1 turkey breast
Salt and pepper to taste
The Ingredients and that Sweet Injector

Walkerswood makes two jerk products I use a lot, a seasoning and a marinade. The seasoning is thick, and I mean really thick, like a paste. Well, I was out of the marinade so I decided to make the seasoning into a marinade by adding some olive oil. Don’t try this if you don’t have an extra large injector, it will only clog it:
Mmmmmm, Thick!

A little olive oil and I’ve got a Marinade

Then suck it up into the Injector. Yeah, I said suck it up:
Ready to Inject with my sweet new Injector

And then shoot it into the breast, making sure not to go too deep or it will leak out the bottom:
Injected!

I’m not done applying the marinade. My colon won’t respect me in the morning if I don’t also brush some along the outside:
Nothing beats a good slathering!

Now leave that to come to room temperature and the flavors to penetrate the meat and go prep the grill.
Prepare the grill for indirect grilling. In this case the Char-Griller Akorn has a small load of lump charcoal in the bottom and the place setter inside to deflect the heat around the turkey breast. I added some soaked wood chips (nothing fancy, just the blend of fruit woods and hickory from my grocery store) and have plenty of smoke:
I’d say we’re ready to smoke some Turkey

If you don’t have a Kamado style grill like this one, go with coals and smoke wood on one side and nothing on the other. Then place the meat on the side with no heat.
The turkey breast goes on the middle of the grill:
On da’ Grill!

Target grill temp on the Akorn is 275-325F and grill/smoke until the internal temp of the turkey is 165.
Some of you are wondering why I didn’t brine. I’m a huge proponent of brining. I’m practically the spokesman for brining. Click here for the basics on brining and why it’s so good. I’m particularly in favor of brining poultry, even more so for white meat as it gives the meat an added margin of error before it dries out. Basically a cushion against overcooking as brined fowl is juicier than non brined. But so is injected meat. See, that olive oil and jerk seasoning inside the marinade is going to baste the turkey from the inside. Don’t believe me? Go ahead and scroll down now and look at the pictures of one of the juiciest turkey breasts I’ve ever eaten. Go ahead. I’ll wait. No, seriously go ahead and scroll down… I’ll wait…
Believe me now? If you haven’t tried injecting, I would think those pictures would convince you to do it. We don’t always have time for brining, and injecting is a great substitute.
Back to the jerk injected grilled turkey breast BBQ recipe.
Speaking of basting. I hope you didn’t dump out that remaining marinade, after you threw the turkey breast on the grill, that was in the bottom of the bowl the turkey breast was in when you injected and brushed it. Because at the 60 minute mark, it’s time to open the Akorn grill (or whatever grill you’re using) and make sure there’s enough smoke wood to last until the end of the grill session of approximately 2 hours at 275-325F and to baste on the outside with this stuff:
Mmmmmm, doesn’t that look tasty? Well maybe not.

OK, how about now?

So, I had a pretty windy fall day when I grilled this turkey breast which is much more problematic for a food blogger as I have to leave the lid open a lot more to take pictures than the average Joe Backyard BBQ guy. So my target of 275-325 was right out the window as my temp spiked on the Akorn to 350:
Runnin’ HOT!

We’re not cooking in an oven. We have to adapt to the weather conditions in which we cook and overcome. In this case, I couldn’t go wrong because I had my remote probe thermometer sunk into the jerk injected grilled turkey breast that gives me a verbal notification when I get within five degrees of my target temp. It’s a beautiful thing. I plug in the probe into the meat and grab the remote and head down to the man cave for some college football and wait for the remote to tell me when the turkey breast (or any meat I plug it into) is done. I got it on Amazon for less than $40 and it was well money spent. This is the one I bought: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RL2ZGO/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000RL2ZGO&linkCode=as2&tag=grifoo-20"]Oregon Scientific AW131 Grill Right Wireless Talking Oven/Barbecue Thermometer, Red[/ame]
ir

And when that remote told me it was 165 (about 20 minutes early than my target of 2 hours), it was time to pull the injected grilled turkey breast:
Technology Rules!

Golden and Perfect!

Pull it off the Akorn and let it rest:
Resting

Why let it rest? Wouldn’t it be better piping hot? For a couple bites, but after that it will be dry. See, the juices inside are in an excited state from the heat of the grill. Slice into it right away and the juices will run all over the cutting board. Let it rest for about 10 minutes (for something this size, less for a steak but more for a five pound roast), and every bite will be juicy.
Back inside and time to slice off the netting:
Unleashed from the net

Time to slice:
Sliced

Juicy

Juicy Close Up!

And since the flash washes out the smoke ring a little, a darker shot to show the ring to go along the shots of how juicy it is:
Smoke Ring

This was probably the juiciest turkey breast I’ve ever had and I guarantee it was the spiciest. The combination of the sweet smoke, juicy juice and spicy spice was right up my alley. The breast was so juicy that the next day I slapped some slices onto a baguette and warmed under the broiler and then tossed on some colby cheese and melted it before warming the entire sandwich. I put it right up there with my jerk pork tenderloin sammies. Wow. So good off the grill and outstanding the next day out of the oven on a sandwich. The perfect thing to make for yourself to make sure you have some leftovers.
If you have any questions, feel free to leave them below or shoot me an email.
If you enjoyed this jerk injected grilled turkey breast and would like other BBQ recipes with poultry, click here.
Also, you can follow the Grillin Fools on their Facebook page where you can post your own BBQ pictures, share your BBQ recipes, or join the general BBQ conversation. You can also follow them on Twitter @GrillinFool

I love Walkerswood but I don't use it too much, it's a little spicy for my wife and kids. That turkey looks great! :thumb:

I actually JUST had Walkerswood last night for the first time ever. Heard about it for years but never got around to ordering a bottle. Found some locally and tried it for some jerk chicken sandwiches with sweet potato fries. Great flavor!

DSC_0725resized.jpg

Thanks for posting this, I can't wait to try this seasoning on a turkey breast. So you didn't have any problems with the injector needle clogging even with the marinade thinned?

Nice lookin turkey!

That is a really nice injector but be careful with the threads. A buddy had one and they broke. Not because he stripped them, but because he had a spice clog in the needle and tried to force it. The pressure actually broke the tube at the threads.

I actually JUST had Walkerswood last night for the first time ever. Heard about it for years but never got around to ordering a bottle. Found some locally and tried it for some jerk chicken sandwiches with sweet potato fries. Great flavor!

DSC_0725resized.jpg

Thanks for posting this, I can't wait to try this seasoning on a turkey breast. So you didn't have any problems with the injector needle clogging even with the marinade thinned?

I did with the smaller of the two needles. I had to use the bigger one... After that I had no problem...

i have a few of those thermometers. i got them for 15 bucks a piece on clearance at 15 minutes. they act up a few times i have to reset them occasionally. and i numbered them so that i knew which receiver went to which probe. well one day they switch polaritys and now its different. go figure.

Back