Comment Card Wall of Shame

"Cant see the meat"
Phew, that one almost tops the bubbles......but, it was entertaining to read some of the cards from the weekend.....I was more concerned when a table captain said his table was more interested in him getting in line for dessert than scoring the brisket appropriately.....

had a comment card that said... "tasted like lighter fluid...try using a chimney starter next time" we dont even bring lighter fluid to comps and thanks for tips on chimney starter... never heard of that before:rolleyes:....DUHHHH

Yes I've received similar strange cards in competition makes you wonder are they eating it or looking at it!

I got one this weekend, that read "tasted good, but was way overcooked". They were referring to my brisket. This seemed reasonable enough to me, except for the fact that I received all 8's and 9's on tenderness. Upon closer examination of the comment card, the scores the judge wrote down on it did not correspond with any scores on my score sheet. I took it to the reps and found the card was given to the wrong team, even though the judge wrote down our team number. Oops! Not a big deal, but it was confusing there for a coupla minutes.

We got one this weekend for our whole hog entry. "Bacon meat was not cooked to required internal temp." No mention of shoulder, hams, loin or ribs. I guess they were cooked to temp.

had a comment card that said... "tasted like lighter fluid...try using a chimney starter next time" we dont even bring lighter fluid to comps and thanks for tips on chimney starter... never heard of that before:rolleyes:....DUHHHH

I believe Swamp Pit had one that said the same thing.

had a comment card that said... "tasted like lighter fluid...try using a chimney starter next time" we don't even bring lighter fluid to comps and thanks for tips on chimney starter... never heard of that before:rolleyes:....DUHHHH

Hey we received that same comment this weekend, when I asked around some of the judges said that it can be perceived as lighter fluid, but is actually an acidic flavor that could be brought on by something we are not aware of like charcoal, different additives, vinegar...and I'm sure a slew of others.:eusa_clapugh always something.:sad:

lighter fluid is a big thing at the judges table. I have been at numerous table where the judges like to talk about an entry (from that contest or another) that tasted like lighter fluid. Out of the 10 I judged this year the conversation came up probably 4 times.

I always end up ending the conversation when i start bringing up reasons for it being there and it not being lighter fluid, oversmoked, etc.

I got one this weekend, that read "tasted good, but was way overcooked". They were referring to my brisket. This seemed reasonable enough to me, except for the fact that I received all 8's and 9's on tenderness. Upon closer examination of the comment card, the scores the judge wrote down on it did not correspond with any scores on my score sheet. I took it to the reps and found the card was given to the wrong team, even though the judge wrote down our team number. Oops! Not a big deal, but it was confusing there for a coupla minutes.

We had the same at New Holland this weekend..had score of 866 on comment card and went to find it on our sheet...guess what ...not on out scoring detail...prettty scary:eek:

Not sure on the lighter fluid thing! We got two cards saying the same thing about our ribs at our first comp this year! But we cooked with the same rubs, sauce, and method in our next 2 comps, and took 5th and 3rd in ribs. Go figure!:icon_frow

BTW, we use nothing but MAAP gas or propane to light our coals, usually just put the chimney on the turkey fryer

Thanks scottie,I make them that way to deter anybody from reaching in my cooker and stealing them :tongue:

Maybe even keep a roll of toilet paper on top of the smoker too? Or at least a roll of toilet paper next to the turn in box when you are getting it ready for turn-in? :icon_shy

:-D

Back