Comment Card Wall of Shame

I think that is a good idea BBQ Grail! Got my vote...
I also think that there is a lot of "green judges" at the comps and that is whu the scores are so wack'd

chicken - sauce way too spicy (blues hog with maple syrup and butter) not hot at all ---------------- 5 taste

This comment proves my point that even cooks don't understand everything they think they understand.

Too spicy = too much spice. Spicy doesn't have to mean too hot. There are many people who find Blues Hog to spicy, as in, to much spice flavor.

Synonyms for SPICY: piquant, savory, zesty (oh and last "hot")

But then again, I'm just a judge and backyard cook, so I can't possibly know anything about BBQ.

Why don't we just let the cooks judge each others entry's?

Actually, before I cooked regularly I judged a few competitions and sat at the same table with experienced cooks a few times and they were the most critical judges at the table!

Actually, before I cooked regularly I judged a few competitions and sat at the same table with experienced cooks a few times and they were the most critical judges at the table!

That is my experience too! Some of those "cooks" are harsh, brutal. While those who are less experience have been more likely to be lenient.

We've only had 1 comment card this year, Platte City. "These ribs were burnt". Yep, they sure were.

I'd love to get comments from each judge on each entry, not for just the bad scores.

Comment cards

Cooks that do judging will be more prone to be harsh. Where the newbie judges that less experience would follow the rules they are taught at judging school a lil more closer until they get more judging under their belts and relax a bit. A fine line between overcooked and done just right...:icon_bigsmil

Cooks judging cooks is not a good thing to see. Brett Brown tried that in his Deer Hunter competition a couple years ago. Nasty, nasty low scores. I think the flaw on that one is that you were judging against your competition. Still was fun though.

Even from a cook I got a comment card of "needs more parsley".......

But then again, I'm just a judge and backyard cook, so I can't possibly know anything about BBQ.

After this weekend at Hudson Valley, I welcome all comments. I think each judge should have to give a comment on everything. I like to hear what everyone thinks when I cook at home, good or bad.......why not at comps? Just my 2cents.

Joe, I just got back from a weekend of three contests as a table judge. It is amazing how many people have a problem sampling and scoring 6 samples in 1/2 hr. If they were to comment on each sample, we would be looking at 1 to 1 1/2 hrs between turn-ins. I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

NUTZ

Joe, I just got back from a weekend of three contests as a table judge. It is amazing how many people have a problem sampling and scoring 6 samples in 1/2 hr. If they were to comment on each sample, we would be looking at 1 to 1 1/2 hrs between turn-ins. I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

NUTZ
I can totally hear that and I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel but it would be nice to hear feedback from "proffessional judges". I know it is what it is but teams spend a lot of money for these comps and granted we all love cooking but feedback would help. Maybe someone could come up with a different judging system. Once again just my 2cents.

Paul, or hickory flats, i agree but the comments are usually only from one judge and are insulting not informative, got one that said tasteless. tastless, no sauce equals no flavor i guess, even cardboard has a taste

a few years ago we recived some comment cards on our brisket..one judge took the time out to fill out a positive comment exclaiming how tender it was ..another judge from the same table exclaimed how tough it was..
right then and there I summed up the value of comment cards

Also sums up some of the "quality" judging that gets done

Got one this past weekend on pork :

"Pork had tiny bubbles on right side, did not look appealing"

Score 589

TINY BUBBLES??????

Last edited:
The other one I received this weekend was for sausage category

"Cant see the meat":confused::shock:
Score 688

Last edited:
Back