Visited Franklin BBQ today

Awesome man, glad you enjoyed yourself, and esp glad you didnt show up on a monday or their vacation week! We went last year and the entire trip to Austin was planned around the venture to Franklins. To me it just highlighted the world of bbq, people were awesome, and the food was amazing. It cost me even more however walking up and buying two chairs and more beer by the bingo hall haha.

I'm interested in how La BBQ compares. I think the briskets are pretty close. At least when John was still there. The rest is a little better at LA BBQ but the sausage is crazy good. You have to go talk to the guys running the pits! If you don't you are missing out on half the experience. Nice write up. :thumb:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Great review!

I went about a year ago (before I moved from TX back to PA) I thought I had to try it before I move. Best thing I ever did. I left about 3:30 and got there at 5:30 I was probably 30-40th in line? Whenever I tell people the story about it they say I'm crazy but if you told me tomorrow I could eat there again and only have to drive 2 hours and wait another 6 I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Great review, thanks! We'll be heading out there in October and looking forward to trying a couple of places. Looking forward to more of your reviews.

Always good to reset the bar of something to strive for and sounds like this guy has it dialed in. You know, that cider vinegar spray makes sense. I was messing around with pineapple and bacon once...The acid on the meat plus the heat caused the bacon to disintegrate into mush. So some sprayed on the fat cap could render it nice and gooey. For sure will try that next go 'round.

Brings back great memories. I have waited in line (ninth in line at 0745) and I have ordered ahead (at least 5# ordered around 3-4 weeks before). Something felt guilty walking right up to the counter while 100+ people are still waiting outside - but not too guilty. IMHO his brisquet is unmatched - other items are okay but frankly I like my own ribs better. The 4+ hour wait even in the Texas sun was not tedious. I agree there is a very tailgating/reunion like atmosphere which makes the time fly pleasantly. And the people who like meat and are waiting in line aren't the usual yuppie-double-shot-latte-keep-Austin-weird oddballs.

I have said I would not wait in line for 4 hour even to see Jesus walk on water. However since he explained it can be like a tail gate get together I might have to give it a try.

Wonder if Aaron would mind if I brought my little weber smokey joe and did some breakfast charrizo and egg tacos on this porch/lawn while we wait? maybe Cow girl could join us, too.

We where in Austin over the Memorial Day weekend a couple months ago and we hit Franklin's. Your post was very accurate of our experience too. I'd stand in line for his brisket again. Ribs? Meh.

Great writeup! I've been there and was glad I went. If you're with fun folks, the line is no issue (and if I have something to read I can be anywhere - & if there are TX hotties walking around I need nothing else) and the brisket is the best I've had by far.

Great writeup! I've been there and was glad I went. If you're with fun folks, the line is no issue (and if I have something to read I can be anywhere - & if there are TX hotties walking around I need nothing else) and the brisket is the best I've had by far.

they don't cook briskets at the california bashes?

Bretheren - Rockinar's review is spot on. I've been to Franklin's several times. Recently they've instituted a no placeholder policy ... places in line cannot be held by another person/group. I'm a former academic and would visit my academic friends in Austin. We'd hire a PhD student to get to Franklin's early and old our places in the line. We'd give the guy money for beer, and something stronger. We'd buy the kid lunch and a get him enough BBQ to go to keep him meals for about a week and send him home with a couple of Franklins for his time. PhD students always wanted to do that deal.

I love Franklin's brisket. I thought mine was really, really good and everyone always Always wanted to take some ome. No leftovers, ever. But one slice of Franklin's and I knew I couldn't haul water for Franklin. I've tried Wagyu brisket, read Franklin's book cover to cover many times over, used nothing but S&P, had Texas oak shipped to OK, and there's still something missing. In the process of trying to replicate his results my brisket cooks have gotten marginally better, but for the life of me I can't match the Franklin Brisket. He's putting something on/in his briskets that I can't figure out.

His ribs have nothing but S&P and those I nail. His sausage isn't available up here in OK, but down there in Austin, I'm a big fan. I like all Franklin's sides.

All in all, Franklin's is, to me, the epitome of Texas Brisket (all others are pretenders) IMNSHO. It's kind of like Disney World ... ya gotta go just for the experience and to say you've done it.

Rockinar's, excellent review. Thanks!

There's a "no placeholder" policy, but fully expect everyone's friends to suddenly show up at 10:00. I saw a LOT of that. It won't really affect you much. Just annoying, like the guy that cuts in line in traffic after you sat in it for 15 minutes.

Awesome!

On my list for sure one of these days. Fly to Austin, drive to New Orleans and fly back to L.A.

Back