Classic Thermapen batteries

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
tom
After a few years of use. My Thermapen quit working. After removing the batteries and testing with one of my Flute meters. I got 3.01 volts from both of the CR2032 3V batteries. It takes 2 batteries.
New CR2032 batteries I've checked are only 3.2 volts.
So, with only .4 volts low ( .2 per battery)total. I guess the Thermapen won't work.
I had great battery life out of the Thermapen :thumb:
Just wanted to let folks know who might think their pen died permanently when they test the batteries only to find the batteries are actually still above the 3V but the pen won't fire.
Still today I find I use my Thermapen ALOT. More than I ever thought. I bought one for my SIL that is a great cook. She thought I was nuts. Now she sings the praises.
Get one on sale if you can. :clap:

I have had to replace the batteries in both of my Thermapen's this summer/fall. They're both several years old so I shouldn't complain too much I guess.

Never thought of testing the batteries :doh:

While it's great you got so much time out of them, it's surprising they'd design electronics that won't operate with what is essentially an over-voltage situation. Weird.

i just replaced the 2032 in 3 thermapens and they all fired up fine.

After a few years of use. My Thermapen quit working. After removing the batteries and testing with one of my Flute meters. I got 3.01 volts from both of the CR2032 3V batteries. It takes 2 batteries.
New CR2032 batteries I've checked are only 3.2 volts.
So, with only .4 volts low ( .2 per battery)total. I guess the Thermapen won't work.

You have a floating static voltage reading, test the batteries under a load condition and the reading will be lower. This holds true for any battery including a car battery. With nothing attached to the almost dead car battery you can have 12 volts, once connected to the battery terminals, just the electronics of the car will drop it well below 9 volts, and turning on the lights will take it much lower. Batteries are not just about the voltage, but rather the capacity of the stated voltage. Larger batteries are rated in Amp Hours (AH) smaller batteries are rated in MAH.

I'll have to try replacing my batteries. Mine seems to turn off & on. Moving the probe to a different angle seems to turn it on or off.

Moving the probe to a different angle seems to turn it on or off.

The spring tension of the metal contact points may need to be bent a bit tighter. They're only making contact when the battery "falls" into the electrical lead.
Just a guess.

Actually with a quality digital volt meter you can tell alot more than just the volts. But yes it would be a "better" test under a load Vs static. But not necessary with typical lower voltage batteries IMHO.

I just replaced the batteries in my Classic over the weekend. The unit would work intermittently and I was glad replacing the batteries seemed to do the trick. No issues since then.

I had to replace the batteries in my classic a few weeks ago for the first time. I've had it for several years.

My Thermopop died, several months after purchase. Very disappointed about battery life. I tested the battery as well, also using a Fluke meter. Voltage was spot on, but wouldn't turn on. I wiped the battery off, just using my shirt, it has performed, flawlessly, ever since.

Matt

Back