THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monty

Take a breath!

Batch Image
Batch Image
As many of you know, my Dad has Alzheimer's and I am his caregiver. This is the first year he has not been able to make chili since i was born. He loves chili in the Fall and Winter, and I was very pleased and happy to be able to do this up right for him this year.

He was worried at first that i would fark up "his recipe" :roll:, but in the end was so happy he started to tear up, and that really made me happy, which sounds kinda weird, but it's true! lol.

So i took his recipe and added my own touch of love to it and came out with the best chili i ever ate. :biggrin:

This is a Choice grade Chuck Shoulder Roast, 2.6 lbs. Made a chili rub and applied prior to cooking.

picture.php

All ingredients for my Family's Texas Red

picture.php

Got the Ol' Cook 'n' Kettle Sr. out, made a few quick repairs. built a fire and bed of coals with Texas Post Oak and a little Texas Mesquite for smoke. It sure felt good getting the Ol' boy fired up again.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Couple of bricks covered in foil come in real handy sometimes :wink:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:oops: Now i meant to apply more rub to faces prior to cooking them in the next pic, but forgot till they had been on for a bit, then said "fark it", and kept on keeping on, didn't hurt a thing, but next time i wanna do that.

picture.php

Time to lightly roast some peppers!

picture.php

Everything ready to combine now, then simmer in the Kettle, loose foil tent over pot, with some small Texas Pecan chunks for smoke flavor while it simmers. Used an old family pot as old as me (50) and is enamel coated cast iron.

picture.php

Had to add the rotisserie ring to get the chili pot in with Kettle top on.

picture.php

Used the ceramic heat deflector plates from my Primo Jr. to set the pot on, they worked great!

picture.php

Right after combining ingredients, already looks good, but meat needs to get softer.

picture.php

Later... mmm

picture.php

Time to make cornbread! Added diced japs, and chopped roasted corn nibblits to the mix, it was heavenly :biggrin:

picture.php

picture.php

Time to eat!
In our family we always ate our chili with cornbread, sharp chedder cheese & dill pickle spears on the side. And so we did tonight too!

picture.php

picture.php

Pop was really happy. :biggrin: Said it was the best chili he ever had.. course he's always saying that :roll:, but this time i had to agree with him. The meat was "butta" tender, the sauce rich, spicy, and slightly smokey, the cornbread was killer, and the cheese was to die for... "Aged" New York style extra sharp... what's not to like?

picture.php

Cheers!

Last edited:
Wow!! Monty, I don't know how severe your Dad's condition is, but by his smile, and expression......well, it says a lot. I teared up reading this. I can't explain it, but from the care and devotion you put into making this meal............and the smile and thumbs up he gave it...........it was the true meaning of a father and son and what FAMILY is all about. YOU ROCK!!!! By the way, that is a spectacular meal you made. Right down to the cornbread!!! I was in AWE!!!

BobBrisket

Wow!! Monty, I don't know how severe your Dad's condition is, but by his smile, and expression......well, it says a lot. I teared up reading this. I can't explain it, but from the care and devotion you put into making this meal............and the smile and thumbs up he gave it...........it was the true meaning of a father and son and what FAMILY is all about. YOU ROCK!!!! By the way, that is a spectacular meal you made. Right down to the cornbread!!! I was in AWE!!!

BobBrisket

Gee... :oops:, thanks Bob, that was really nice.

Dad was only diagnosed about 11 months ago, so he's not too bad off right now.. yet, he is in great physical shape, but the mind can only remember one day at a time. I love to cook him stuff that makes him happy. That's why i'm here.. he loves BBQ.. so i learned from the best here. :wink: Thanks again bro, btw, your green chile, and your red chil"e" with those forign objects in it (not "texan" chili mod :shock::razz:) looked really great to! :lol:

Last edited:
Very nice!! I didnt really even look at the great pron, but was reading about your family. Its all about the details and the little things, with your parents. You, can't eat chile without cornbread, and I bet we all have those other "little things". Myself, Its not really barbecue, I mean KC style BBQ, without Strawberry pop, and no fancy stuff, just the fountain stuff with the strawberry on it, usually from Rosedale, Wyandotte, or Gates. I wonder how many of us have other quirks with family and food that are "comfort food" basically.

I know my wife's, is spaghetti O's with cut up hot dogs. I have seen her like that meal, more than any Morton's, Capital Grill, or any other seafood/ steakhouse restaurant.

In the end, its all about family and the memories, and connections that food can bring to us.

Bravo to you for making more memories with your pops.

Wow! That looks great, makes my mouth water. Just knowing how much you put into that...your dad's smile says it all.

Made your Poppa proud. Gota ask though, where's the beans?:twisted:

Oh those! well i love all kinds of beans, made some great baked beans the other day, had some navy beans a few weeks ago, and beany weenies for lunch a few months back, but AIN'T NO BEAN COMIN NEAR MY CHILI! And that's a fact! :biggrin: Pop woulda pee'd his pants ifin he found beans in his Red!

Wow....that was very touching....the smile on your father's face is priceless...I don't think I even have to mention how awesome hat chili looked.

Dan

that was some great looking grub. never thought about putting the steak in chili!!! around here everyone uses plain ole ground beef!!
i went through the Alzheimers thing with both my mother and her twin sister. you and your dad are in my prayers. pm me anytime for whatever. good luck, mike

Awesome job, Monty. I know you made your Dad proud. I think one of the greatest joys of cooking is seeing other people made happy by the food you cook, and it sure seems you made your Dad happy.
(P.S. - no beans in my chili, either)

What a great post, the pic of your dad is priceless.
The chili pron is outstanding to boot.
That is one of the finest looking bowls of red I have seen in a long time;
really cool pic of the ingredients too. (love those rotel tomatoes.....)
Thanks for sharing Monty and will keep some good thoughts for your dad as well.

Mmmm Monty! Looks wonderful...love the looks of that chili!:cool:

Back