Chili Cookoff- 4/27, Mastic, Long Island (w/results)

Has anyone else tried to Mapquest the location? According to Mapquest, there is no 1035 Patchogue Ave.

I'm assuming from the way the notice is written that it is the junction of Mastic Rd and Patchogue Ave, but I don't like to guess.

Anyone been there before?

Eric

Has anyone else tried to Mapquest the location? According to Mapquest, there is no 1035 Patchogue Ave.

I'm assuming from the way the notice is written that it is the junction of Mastic Rd and Patchogue Ave, but I don't like to guess.

Anyone been there before?

Eric
It IS at the intersection. Here are the directions from the organizer. Once you get down there you it wont be hard to figure out(look for a lot of bikes)

[FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Directions I usually take Sunrise out and get off on the William Floyd going south. Go threw the first intersection to the next set of lights where you will make a left. The road will hook back and you will be heading toward the railroad station. Make a right and follow that road all the way down until you hit a traffic light. The Demon Knights Club House is the corner across that intersection on the right.[/FONT]

Sledcast

Sunday, Apr 27
13.gif

High: 56 °F RealFeel®: 57 °F
A passing shower in the morning; otherwise, clouds yielding to some sun

Sunday Night, Apr 27
38.gif

Low: 50 °F RealFeel®: 41 °F
Mostly cloudy and breezy

results update :

3rd place : Swap Pit BBQ (WannabeBBQQueen)
4th Place : Red Hot Loco Peppers (Poobah & Sled)

One of the Motorcycle Clubs won, and not sure how Westex did.

Congrats !!!

Congrats to SwampPit and Phil/Sled.

Wes made a great chili, but I believe that it was too spicy for the yankee palette. It was at least as good as the best chili I tasted as a judge.

Rod and the Hells Angels Motorcycle Club did a great job running the event and I look forward to next year.

Eric

"Hey Westex, you're sending people over here with numb teeth".

Hi and Hello to all.

First of all, this was one of the most amazing things I have participated in in a long time. 8)
The event itself was run like clockwork and I had an absolute blast.
I was also very proud of my fellow brethren teams and glad they were able to garner 4th and third place, judged chili. I believe we represented the Brethren well.

I must confess to a slight miscalculation on my part, I did amp up my scoville level for this event, with consideration to the Judges who I figured most of which would be members of the Angels or one of the mcs.
As a result, my turn in and peoples-judged had a very nice bite , good color, consistency and aroma; but must admit the taste had a rather dominant blend - a result of some very special, dry, aged chilis.
No excuses at all, as stated above, we had a tremendous time and it was truly an event to remember and I look forward to next year.
(Thanks Eric for your gracious review per an earlier post above.)

Rod of the Hot Dawg Truck, the Demon Knights and all the other clubs and teams really put on a great show.
The band was very good; a rockabilly band called the Razorbacks with the traditional 3 piece set up; drummer, lead guitar and standup slap base. (The guitar player had a snakeskin sport coat, straw cowboy hat and an ever present cigarrette dangling from the corner of his mouth as he sang and played lead.)

I got there first around 6;15 am and was able to get set up to include two spots to my left for Sled/Phil and then Julie and the Swamp Pit.
Thus we had our Brethren Row.
We had the drizzle for a while but it stayed dry once the guys and gals arrived from the run and needless to say, their arrival was a sight to behold.
What a day, what an event and what a great time we had.

ps.
The title quote came from Phil on my left to me about 2/3 of the way through the peoples choice tasting.:rolleyes:

As far as pictures, my long-time friend, native Texan and pot bitch Tim B. took some and as soon as I get them, I will try and post/

Congrats to all the Brethren! Well done! Our Town is celebrating it's 300th. We saw an reenactment of the Battle of Ridgefield. In the Battle, the Ridgefield colonials after consuming a per capita 2 liters of rum, held off 2000 British Troups long enough to prevent them from returning to their ship ancored in Westport as helped arrived. Reminds me of the Battle of the BBQ Brethren....

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Pictures Are Posted!

I decided to try out one of the new features and created an Album for the Hells Angels 81 Thunder Run and Chili Cook-Off.
It is located at my profile. See above 'members list' and click the w's, scroll down and click on Westexbbq and it is set up on the right or you can click Albums.
Hope you all can see it there if you want and /or if one of the mods wants to post it out front, that would be cool.
(hint, if you look in the background on a couple you can see our recuperating brethern Sledneck from early on in the day.)

Last edited:
I heard that this was a great event:rolleyes: From what I did see it was one of the most organized I have ever been to.

Last edited:
Less pics of Wes (sorry Wes !!) ... more JD girls please (though the one on the right looks a little fugly).

The JD girls should be at Williepalooza & Battle of the BBQ Brethren too.

Back