CHILI. A true American cuisine

Interesting combination SN I use whole tomatoes and crush them, 4 different types of beans- chili beans, red kidney beans black and white beans, coumin, chili powder and chipolte chili powder and red cayenne, 2 garlic cloves, sweet onions and a green pepper Also add ground beef and a chuck roast I have never tried it with sour cream We really like chili I also add a bottle of beer to it

Thanks George. Just realize i didnt give a recipe. Probably cause i dont have one exactly.

1 lbs ground beef
1lbs ground venison
2 cans diced tomato
2 cans kidney beans
2 large onions chopped
2 lager beers
1 can of corn
Garlic
1 chili season kit
Add enough water to fill the pot and simmer til hungry
Add a little masa at the end to thicken if needed

I just use what is on hand. Next time could be different

My Chili was pretty weak before I stumble across the following recipe:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/build-a-better-bowl-of-chili-chili-is-easy-to-98470609800.html

I follow that now and it turns out some great tasting chili. I will say that I usually use one pound of cut up beef, one pound of cut up pork, and one pound of ground beef. I also puree a small can of Chipotles in Adobo sauce. And since I grew up with beans in my Chili, I usually toss in a can or two of red beans.

Attachments

• 12439001_1247287161966213_3252306509263344804_n.jpg
    12439001_1247287161966213_3252306509263344804_n.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 141
No beans 98% of the time. However a tad of shredded sharp cheddar and several tablespoons (about 1/4 cup) of roasted green chile hits the spot. And a generous squirt of Scriracha and maybe some Jalapenos if the red and green chile don't do it. This bowl was brisket point and Tri tip with a minor amount of pulled pork b

Last edited:
My Chili was pretty weak before I stumble across the following recipe:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/build-a-better-bowl-of-chili-chili-is-easy-to-98470609800.html

I follow that now and it turns out some great tasting chili. I will say that I usually use one pound of cut up beef, one pound of cut up pork, and one pound of ground beef. I also puree a small can of Chipotles in Adobo sauce. And since I grew up with beans in my Chili, I usually toss in a can or two of red beans.

I usually do chunks but went with ground last time. Been hearing alot about doing both chunks and ground.

Gonna have to try that

The first year of our cookoff, I did brisket, pulsed in the food processor(got the idea from Alton Brown), and pulled pork, and smoked it. Came in second.
The second year, I did PSB and pulled pork, but I think I lost on the texture side, I came in 5th. I don't people liked that it didn't have the small pieces of meat they expected, even though I chopped it up.
This year, I did smoked ribeye, cut into 1"sq strips, then smoked on the WSM, then cut into 1/4" pieces. I also got some course ground beef, made them into patties, smoked for about 90 mins, then chopped them into small pieces, and dumped in.
Finally won, by the skin of my teeth(14.7 vs 14.65 out of 20)

I grew up in Ohio. I'm in the NW corner of the state so not too inundated with the nastiness of "Cincinnati" chili (cinnamon...blech). However, up here Chili is still basically tomato soup (maybe thickened a bit) with beans and ground meat, and some spice...usually not nearly enough for me.

I grew up hating chili based on this description, along with a mother who couldn't handle much spice so it was dull and lifeless...

I have since discovered the joy of a Texas Red style chili that is just amazing. I do usually add SOME tomatoes to my chili, but it ends up being a dish of stewed beef/pork with tons of dried chilis (I buy dried chilis and grind myself for my own mix of ancho, pasilla, and cayenne), onions, garlic, cumin, etc. When the meat has stewed down to shreddable, I thicken with masa flour.

At my previous place of employment I won back to back chili cookoffs with my shredded meat version of chili going against exclusively Ohio style beans/meat/tomato juice mixes. I was stunned that it did so well in that competition, I only entered it to open eyes towards something different than we usually get around here.

Now I don't mind the tomato juicy, ground meat versions too much but I cannot stand kidney beans, so I'd prefer black beans or really any other bean to kidney, but as long as it has some spice kick I can live with the tomato juicy type. My wife prefers that kind, and says that what I make is shredded beef, NOT chili. Although she does like it...

Okay, as a Texas native we always have had beans in our chili. With that being said, I also may have Aztec blood running in me, but corn don't belong in my chili or my salsa. It's not that I don't like corn, its just it has its place and that place is not in chili or salsa.

My wife is making some chili today because she has the holiday off. I think we decided on pulled pork in it today. We typically smoke up several extra butts and freeze them for winter for days like today. But I see its up to 3° now so maybe I should be grilling something.

Chili for me growing up was a dish of minced (ground) beef, with red kidney beans, and a tomato sauce - like a Bolognese sauce, served with rice. As I grew older, and started cooking for myself, I adapted it to use tomato concentrate, and oven baked the dish to give it a thicker consistency.

These days, I have changed my standard chili, but it is essentially a dish I make from left over beef trimmings - always cooked. Sometimes a bit of chuck I have trimmed off during the smoking phase of making a PSB, other times it is left over brisket or even beef ribs.

I use my own chicken stock, and my own smoked tomato sauces, add dark beer, some dark chocolate, one dried habanero and three or four dried chipotle, which I remove after reducing the whole thing down. The meat is always chopped meat, and never ground, and the consistency I shoot for is soft - no teeth needed. It comes out smokey, slightly sweet and slightly spicy, but bursting with flavour.

I love chili. It's my recipe and cooked from memory, feel and what is to hand, and doesn't pretend to be from anywhere other than Cambui, Sao Paulo - Brazil. :)

I'd never thought of mixing chopped meat and ground meat before, or adding Pulled Pork. Nice ideas and something I will give a go some day. I generally vac pack mine in slabs and freeze them for heating at a later date.

I think Chili is one of those dishes similar to BBQ. There will always be arguments over the spelling of the dish and when it was first developed. I believe it is universally accepted that it originated in Texas using historically accepted spices from Mexico. If one ascribes to that belief you must accept that Texas was Mexico when the dish was developed. You must also
accept it was made using ingredients that were preserved using standard preservation methods. The meat was dried, salt cured and packed with suet. Think confit. Other ingredients were those readily available, Dried Chiles, wild onion and garlic ,Salt and pepper. From these ingredients like many dishes the dish has been modified over the years according to individual tastes. Many ingredients have been added.
If I had to guess I would think the original dish consisted of cubed meat ( beef, deer, What ever),
dried reconstituted chiles, onion, and salt and pepper. But who's to say some cowboy didn't add some beans, corn, rice, tomatoes, Wild onions and garlic, oregano, Masa Harina to expand the dish.

Oh yea that looks gooooood! Like someone mentioned I also grew up on chilio but now mine has evolved into mostly my own spices and twists on how mom used to make it.

Our family Christmas some take part in a chili cook off and the one I voted for looks like yours with the corn. Sometimes some elbow noodles gets mixed in but some cringe at that and say it isn't chili anymore and instead it's a goulash.

No matter the chili I respect it no matter if it's a small hot spicy bowl to go with a coney dog and fries or a big bowl of chili goulash!

We love chili this time of the year, all year actually. We have a copy cat recipe of Wendys chili that we start with but change a few things, like instead of tomato sauce we use Clamato juice. Beans of course, onions, garlic, chili powder, celery, green pepper. The one thing that we have done since I was a kid is dunking peanut butter sandwiches in the bowl of chili, been doing that since elementary school, 56 years ago. :biggrin1:

I made a big pot this afternoon. A little shredded Cabot extra sharp cheddar, a little Mexican crema and a some garlic butter french bread, and this was good to go. It looked awesome in the bowl, all garnished up, but that didn't cross my mind at that time. (The beans didn't make it into the chili. I debated it, but they missed the cut this time.)

Seems like more than one of us grew up a bland spaghetti like sauce with beans in it :becky:
(For the record all my parents food was...and still is pretty awful)

This year i started buying chili kits, ya know, with the seasoning portioned out and some general recipe instructions. I was making my own powder but what do i really know about the flavor of chile's anyway. Figured id try some proven spice blends rather then just guessing on my own.

Any real good chili kits out there for me to try?
(Or your own home blend)

Back