The Mother of all Chili Dog Sauce Threads!

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
picture.php

I thought I would post some things I've learned over the last 10 years or so making hot dog chili sauce. I've had a lot of bad pots of chili sauce but also a few good ones. Through all of the experimenting I did, I think I have a delicious recipe that I have been using for about a year. In fact, my Dad called this morning and asked me to make him a batch for tonight's dinner. That's high praise coming from him.

Now, I'm not going to be sharing a specific recipe. I think chili is too personal for that. Ask 100 people what their favorite chili is and you will get 100 answers. So, my favorite recipe may not be your favorite. So, I'm going to focus more on technique than recipes. Fair enough?

First of all, the famous Coney Island hot dog places in Detroit don't make their own chili. I learned this by calling around to every chili sauce manufacturer in the country. Lafayette Coney Island and American Coney Island in Detroit buy chili bricks from the Detroit Chili Company and uses them to make their chili dog sauce. The company doesn't have a website but here is the company's address and phone number:

21400 Telegraph Road
Southfield, MI 48033-4245
248 - 440-5933

Detroit Chili Sauce for Hot Dogs
picture.php

The Detroit Chili Company is owned by relatives of the people who are the owners of Lafayette and American. The two restaurants are separately owned by two cousins and the Detroit Chili Company is owned by another cousin. Each restaurant doctors up the chili differently before serving it on hot dogs. Years ago before refrigeration, chili was often made into bricks and sold by distributors. The brick was convenient and also helped to preserve the product. Because of shipping, it is expensive to purchase chili bricks from the Detroit Chili Co. But, you can purchase the same chili from American Coney Island with their Coney Kits that they sell online.

One other thing about Detroit hot dog chili sauce is that it has ground beef heart in it rather than ground chuck or brisket, etc. That is one thing that gives it the unique flavor. So, one way to get authentic Detroit hot dog chili sauce is to buy one of those chili bricks and use it to make hot dog chili sauce. Many restaurants do that but will never admit it.

Several manufacturers make chili bricks in one form or another. Koegel's makes it too. XLNT Foods Corp ( http://www.xlntfoods.com/chili-con-carne/ ) makes chili bricks and so does Delores Canning Co. in California ( http://www.dolorescanning.com/wordpress/chili-brick/ ).

Koegel's Hot Dog Chili Sauce
picture.php

Personally, I think that using some of the chili brick in home made hot dog chili sauce gives the best flavor from the beef heart. I don't know if it's because of the time flavors have to meld while sitting in the brick or what, but I like it better than just adding fresh ground beef heart.

If you want to make hot dog chili sauce from scratch, here are some pointers.

First, you have to make sure the meat has the right consistency. I have used all ground chuck and a mix of ground chuck and ground beef heart. It's up to you.

To get the meat right don't brown it. I put the liquid base (such as tomato sauce or unsalted broth or a mix of both) into a pot and just put the ground beef right in it. THEN, I turn on the heat and start stirring the meat into the liquid. The meat falls apart and turns out perfect. I have also had good results by pureeing a can of Dinty Moore's beef stew and using it as the base. It may sound weired but it works pretty well.

I have also used a couple of ground hot dogs mixed in with the ground beef. I have found that the hot dog trick works better with hot dogs that are lower in sodium. I ground the hot dogs by slicing them and squashing them with a fork.

Broth and Beef
picture.php

Once the meat has simmered a little, I add seasonings. Now, this is where it gets fun. What flavors do you like? This is when you add them.
How about some chili powder? How about some instant beef and onion soup? How about a little tomato sauce, beer, black pepper, hot sauce, garlic, bacon fat, onion powder, or even some instant taco seasoning? This is YOUR chili. Experiment until you make something really special.

picture.php

The texture and thickness of the chili has to be right too. I have experimented with lots of ways to thicken hot dog chili sauce and my favorite method is to use corn starch. I think it gives the chili a great texture and also adds a nice sheen to it. I mix up about 1/3 cup of broth or tomato sauce with about 4 teaspoons of corn starch. This is usually enough to properly thicken about 20 liquid ounces of hot dog chili sauce. I mix well the corn starch and cool liquid together and whisk it into the simmering chili. I only use as much as I need. If you put in too much, add a little more liquid.

Four final points: the bun, the onions, the ketchup, and the fun.

The bun should be steamed. That's right, steamed! If you can't steam them, put them a couple at a time in the microwave on high for about 10 seconds.

The onions are best if chopped fine. By fine I mean chop them, them chop them again, then chop them again. They are best if chopped the day before and allowed to hang out in the fridge overnight.

The ketchup - DON'T USE IT. Leave the ketchup for the kids and people in, well, you ketchup on hot dog people know where you live.

Have fun experimenting! Experiment, think outside the box and don't be afraid to fail. Keep at it until you have something special and post some pron!

picture.php

Last edited:
Aw come on Bo!
Anyone in Michigan north of the "Big D" knows its the Flint Style that's the best, the Detroit style is all sloppy and stuff, the Flint Style is more dry. Been an on-going battle as long as the Lafayette and American Coney have been duking it out!!
There are a few recipes on the web that include using the Koegel vienna hot dogs ground up in the sauce. give it a try.
Those dogs do look good though!!

Take care

Aw come on Bo!
Anyone in Michigan north of the "Big D" knows its the Flint Style that's the best, the Detroit style is all sloppy and stuff, the Flint Style is more dry. Been an on-going battle as long as the Lafayette and American Coney have been duking it out!!
There are a few recipes on the web that include using the Koegel vienna hot dogs ground up in the sauce. give it a try.
Those dogs do look good though!!

Take care

That's exactly why I didn't post a recipe. Now, if you want to go Flint style, all you have to do is reduce the amount of liquid in the sauce. I made some a couple of weeks ago and it was pretty good. But, most people in my family prefer chili sauce as pictured in my post.

I took some of the Flint style to my Dad and he complained that it had too much meat in it. :laugh:

Last edited:
Getting down to basics: is chili dog sauce really considered to be a bonafide chili? My award winning chili would never be disgraced by putting it on top of a hot dog.

Getting down to basics: is chili dog sauce really considered to be a bonafide chili? My award winning chili would never be disgraced by putting it on top of a hot dog.

Depends on who you ask. I think hot dog chili sauce is its own thing and is different than chili. But, not everyone thinks that way about it.

BTW, my chili recipe won 1st place in a contest last year. But, I haven't tried it on a hot dog.

But, will be happy to be a tester for either of you guy's chili on a hot dog or in a bowl anytime. :biggrin1:

I like the recipe on The Mexene Chile Powder bottle. Maybe too much meat for a sauce but it sure has great flavor.

I agree the meat is the important part. I have a cousin in Pa. who worked at a hotdog shop while going to Pit. He aquired the recipe form the place. The meat portion is 1 part ea. ground hotdogs Bologna and ground beef.

[ame]http://youtu.be/vRyssI3AUf4[/ame]

I love a good hot dog chili and have refined my own recipe down to this and it's fantastic...

1lb ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/4 cup ketchup
1/3 cup mustard
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
3 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 bottle of your favorite beer

Preheat a skillet to medium high and add your hamburger meat. Break it up and then add the onion. When the meat starts to brown, add the beer and reduce the heat to medium to reduce most of the beer out of the mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Cook uncovered until you reach your desired consistency over medium heat. Then cover and simmer on low for an hour. Serve immediately and freeze your leftovers!

Back