THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have used the old #10 can and the generic starters. Once I picked up a Weber, I was able to tell the difference. The Weber worked flawlessly and had my charcoal to temperature much faster than any other starter I have used. The cost difference was minimal compared to the side-by-side results. IMHO, the Weber wins, hands down.

I use newspaper, but also hate the flying ash. I'm going to give the olive oil paper towel thing a try though. need to get some cheaper OO though because I'm not using the good stuff to light a fire!

I use the paper towel/oil trick when lighting my BGE.

I just use some of the spray olive oil we use for cooking. just a quick spray is all it needs, and those cans of nonstick olive oil are cheap!

I use canned Sterno with a wick. Place it under the chimney for 5 min replace the cap and your done. No mess and lasts a really long time.

I've got the generic $10 chimney: takes close to half an hour to light a chimney full of non-kingsford charcoal. Also, took me a while to learn that when some recipes call for 1 chimney of lit coal, they typically mean the Weber chimney, not my scrawny generic one.

Even my wife thought it made sense to buy the Weber chimney if it meant dinner was ready 15 minutes sooner. :)

i've got a cheapo one and haven't had any problems with it yet. only used it about 15-20 times though so we'll see how it hold up.

I use a custom chimney, made by a fellow Brethren, and light on a propane burner. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I start my large Spicewine with one chimney.

100_1657.jpg

I just use some of the spray olive oil we use for cooking. just a quick spray is all it needs, and those cans of nonstick olive oil are cheap!

That's what I do unless I'm in a hurry. Don't have a chimney. I just pile some briquettes to the corner of a square basket and light the paper under.

Sometimes I use the little blue torch to light them if I'm in a hurry.

Wal Mart sells some compressed saw dust fireplace starters. You break off a square and put that under the chimney and it'll make sure your charcoal lights without adding any oil or worrying about flying ash.

I've got a semi-cheapo chimney (probably walmart, but I don't remember for sure). It works pretty good, but after I saw a Weber at the store I decided I need one come spring.

For kindling, I've used newspaper and oiled paper towels. My favorite so far, though, is old charcoal bags. There's just enough wax in the paper for them to burn nice and slow.

Back