THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pit Barrel Cooker and a Blackstone Flat Top would be a squeeze on your budget.
Just hung an 11# packer, rack of spares and a netted pork loin. Could've easily doubled the amount.

What you purchase is a personal decision that often comes up. But my own personal experience was that The Pit Barrel Cooker gave me the confidence to be a decent cook on
all my cookers. People here generally tend to recommend what they have or are familiar with. Personally, if I was going to buy a propane for quick cooks I would buy the best cheapest scratch and dent I could find. I'm just not in that big of a hurry for a "quick cook". And when I am, I go to Whataburger.

16, sir.. well said and I get what you are saying about "quick".. I have a pretty large kitchen and "quick cook" for me is a daily thing where I look into the frig or freezer and say, "what shall I leave out for tomorrow or later today?"

So, quick means I get home and am able to cook it, not really that it cooks fast. We get home about 5:30-6 sometimes and the kiddos need to be in bed by 8, latest.. so I need to fire up the heat to get something cooked...burgers, hot dogs, pizza, steaks.. whatever it is..

But I do love me some whataburger ;)

I tell ya guys.. after reading all of this, I think my only real answer is this:

1 - Get my grill (propane) for my day to day.
2 - Get a smoker that is solid and can handle a nice brisket and maybe a chicken or two.
3 - later... if I really just have to get more space for some reason.....get a 2nd smoker for those occasions where I have lots of guest or need a little space for ribs.. something like a barrel smoker or a 'WSM" that I can store easy as well...just pony up a little cash later...

I like the OK Joe's and the Old Country, so will focus on those, but those drum smokers are pretty darn cool.

I am not a fan of the charbroil or off-name brands due to their thin metal.

I have a welder that I can patch up spots and can add a plate if the firebox is too thin etc, and I tend to keep mine cleaned out when storing, so that helps..

Good choices all, thank you very much and I'll post pictures of whatever I get.

Russ

So you currently have no Smoker and no Grill.?

26" Weber Kettle for $300 can be a charcoal grill and a smoker. OR buy a New or Used 22" Weber Kettle and build a UDS.

Last edited:
Back