Cannot seem to pull the trigger

Pit Barrel Cooker and a Blackstone Flat Top would be a squeeze on your budget.
Just hung an 11# packer, rack of spares and a netted pork loin. Could've easily doubled the amount.

What you purchase is a personal decision that often comes up. But my own personal experience was that The Pit Barrel Cooker gave me the confidence to be a decent cook on
all my cookers. People here generally tend to recommend what they have or are familiar with. Personally, if I was going to buy a propane for quick cooks I would buy the best cheapest scratch and dent I could find. I'm just not in that big of a hurry for a "quick cook". And when I am, I go to Whataburger.

16, sir.. well said and I get what you are saying about "quick".. I have a pretty large kitchen and "quick cook" for me is a daily thing where I look into the frig or freezer and say, "what shall I leave out for tomorrow or later today?"

So, quick means I get home and am able to cook it, not really that it cooks fast. We get home about 5:30-6 sometimes and the kiddos need to be in bed by 8, latest.. so I need to fire up the heat to get something cooked...burgers, hot dogs, pizza, steaks.. whatever it is..

But I do love me some whataburger ;)

I tell ya guys.. after reading all of this, I think my only real answer is this:

1 - Get my grill (propane) for my day to day.
2 - Get a smoker that is solid and can handle a nice brisket and maybe a chicken or two.
3 - later... if I really just have to get more space for some reason.....get a 2nd smoker for those occasions where I have lots of guest or need a little space for ribs.. something like a barrel smoker or a 'WSM" that I can store easy as well...just pony up a little cash later...

I like the OK Joe's and the Old Country, so will focus on those, but those drum smokers are pretty darn cool.

I am not a fan of the charbroil or off-name brands due to their thin metal.

I have a welder that I can patch up spots and can add a plate if the firebox is too thin etc, and I tend to keep mine cleaned out when storing, so that helps..

Good choices all, thank you very much and I'll post pictures of whatever I get.

Russ

So you currently have no Smoker and no Grill.?

26" Weber Kettle for $300 can be a charcoal grill and a smoker. OR buy a New or Used 22" Weber Kettle and build a UDS.

Last edited:
Back