Camp Chef SmokePro DLX

Ordell

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Steve
I'm planning on doing my first cook on my new (and first) pellet smoker tomorrow, and I have concerns

I've already been on the phone with them once and managed to get it going with some help. They had me check the electrical connections, but I think that might have been a waste of time. The call may been avoided if they documented how to use it better. A good setup and first use video would have been nice. Oh well. In any event, we got it going and support was good.

I just did a burn in and I notice well into the 30 minutes, I can't really see any visible smoke. Early on, I definitely can, and when I had the smoke stack closed (video again would have been nice), it was billowing out of everywhere. At the highest setting,, the level is questionable. I was at 350 in 30 degree weather if that matters much, higher than I would normally be of course.

I know the smoke quantity is supposed to be somewhat low on pellet grills, but if anyone has any thoughts on what I should be seeing or other tips, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks,
Steve

The hotter you cook, the less smoke you'll have.

Start with the lowest "smoke" setting for a few hours and ramp it up.

The hotter you cook, the less smoke you'll have.

Start with the lowest "smoke" setting for a few hours and ramp it up.

You can't go wrong with advice from a guy w/ the name, "Pat." I do agree, though... I'm a 225-235 guy on large cuts of meat on a pellet. After a few hours, then I'll wrap and crank the temp. For chicken, I keep it at 280 minimum. I think it yields great wood flavor and crispy skin.

Just to be clear, I was just burning off the factory grease at 350. I'm normally around 250-275!

Just to be clear, I was just burning off the factory grease at 350. I'm normally around 250-275!

The "smoke" setting on my Rec Tec is 180°.

I'll run it on that for a couple of hours then go up to my normal 270° for pork, ribs or brisket.

Even at 250°-275° there won't be an abundance of smoke per say.

Yes, we understand, but you were also complaining about lack of smoke too.

If you want to see smoke you will have to cook at much lower temps, and on a Camp Chef you want to use the #10 smoke setting if it has a PID controller. Their high and low smoke settings re kinda useless.

You still may not get enough smoke flavor unless you choose the right pellets or add a smoke tube.

Back