California "BBQ" Virginia Style - Tri-Tip Pron

beautiful tri tip!!

and as a georgia boy, i agree Bo, i have a hard time calling it "BBQ". i will say proper tri tip is damm good and i would fight for the scraps. :becky:

I have yet to try a tri-tip. Not a huge fan a rare meat so I have never dabbled that direction. I wonder if there is a way to butterfly it and have a little less pink in it?

Looks great! Never tried a tri-tip but I'd like to, just never saw one anywhere around here for sale. I can tell from your pics that it would taste good. :nod:

As for the wierd things that people call bbq or not bbq, here in NC, bbq means one thing and one thing only. If you say bbq, people think of only one thing. It's not a verb, it's not an adjective, it's pulled pork. Pulled pork is bbq in NC. Nothing else is called bbq here. If you order "bbq" and "tea" in a restaurant, you get pulled pork (either a bbq sandwich or a bbq plate,) and a tall glass of iced sweet tea. If somebody says they're making bbq, it means they're cooking either a pig or a shoulder or ham to pull. Smoked ribs are called "ribs." Brisket is called "smoked brisket." Steak is called "steak." Pulled pork with vinegar sauce is called "bbq." You can't bbq here, it's a specific thing you eat, not a thing you do or a thing you cook on. :biggrin1:

As for the wierd things that people call bbq or not bbq, here in NC, bbq means one thing and one thing only. If you say bbq, people think of only one thing. It's not a verb, it's not an adjective, it's pulled pork. Pulled pork is bbq in NC. Nothing else is called bbq here. If you order "bbq" and "tea" in a restaurant, you get pulled pork (either a bbq sandwich or a bbq plate,) and a tall glass of iced sweet tea. If somebody says they're making bbq, it means they're cooking either a pig or a shoulder or ham to pull. Smoked ribs are called "ribs." Brisket is called "smoked brisket." Steak is called "steak." Pulled pork with vinegar sauce is called "bbq." You can't bbq here, it's a specific thing you eat, not a thing you do or a thing you cook on. :biggrin1:

That's the best explanation I've ever heard.
Although definitely a geographical thing, because in, and around, St. Louis if you say BBQ, it means you're cooking something (generally assumed it's meat) outside over a fire. Period. :mrgreen:

That's the best explanation I've ever heard.
Although definitely a geographical thing, because in, and around, St. Louis if you say BBQ, it means you're cooking something (generally assumed it's meat) outside over a fire. Period. :mrgreen:

We do a lot of that here, too-we call it "grillin" or "cookin' somethun' over the fahr." :biggrin1:

Speaking of medium rare "BBQ". Here is a clip from a Virginia newspaper from 1901 describing BBQ beef cooked right here in the county I live in. This is one of the articles that is causing me to rethink and reconcile my beliefs on BBQ and what it really means. One thing is for sure, this article describes real "old school" BBQ written by a person who was an eye witness and eater of 19th century BBQ in Virginia.

picture.php

Speaking of medium rare "BBQ". Here is a clip from a Virginia newspaper from 1901 describing BBQ beef cooked right here in the county I live in. This is one of the articles that is causing me to rethink and reconcile my beliefs on BBQ and what it really means. One thing is for sure, this article describes real "old school" BBQ written by a person who was an eye witness and eater of 19th century BBQ in Virginia.

picture.php

Sounds like my kind of cookout! Maybe we need to have a "Brethren Ox Roast" some time...:hungry:

I have yet to try a tri-tip. Not a huge fan a rare meat so I have never dabbled that direction. I wonder if there is a way to butterfly it and have a little less pink in it?

You could but it would be as tender or juicy. If you like meat cooked well done, you'd probably be better off barbecuing a chuck or brisket until it's pull tender.

You could but it would be as tender or juicy. If you like meat cooked well done, you'd probably be better off barbecuing a chuck or brisket until it's pull tender.

For steal and meats like that I like medium, never well done but esse it's just to, well rare for my taste.but i would be willing to give it s try sometime i think.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

You can cook a tri-tip to medium just fine, that was actually the level of cooking that the ranch folks I knew down on the central coast preferred. This was true of my uncle in Idaho as well, prefer medium to medium-well, you just need to cook a little lower heat and cook a little longer. Take it to 140F internal before pulling. If you are grilling direct, no need for additional sear either. No need to butterfly or split, they are pretty thin as is.

For me BBQ is a state of mind. All this time I thought I was Q'n untill I found this site. Come to find out there is much more to it than having a good time with your friends in your yard, burning meat and drinking beer( that s only half of it I guess).

Back