California "BBQ" Virginia Style - Tri-Tip Pron

Boshizzle

somebody shut me the fark up.
Went to Costco looking for flank steak and found two tri-tip for $5.99/lb. The FS was about $7.99 per pound so, tri-tip it was.

I started off by grilling some sweet peppers and onions.

picture.php

Then, added a couple of white oak splits to the fire and let them burn down to hot coals.

picture.php

I rubbed the tri-tips with old Virginia BlackHawk rub and put them in the CG Outlaw indirect.

picture.php

Lil' Franky was getting hungry and impatient! [Halloween mod]

picture.php

Once the meat reached about 130* internal, I moved it directly over the coals for a quick sear.

picture.php

After a rest, I sliced against the grain and served.

picture.php

As a Virginia boy, I still don't think it's BBQ. Sorry, CA, Brethren. That being said, because I am a fair minded fellow, I will agree that it is "California BBQ." :biggrin1: :bow:

Either way, it was very delicious. The oak imparted a really nice subtle smokiness and the meat was tender and juicy. :nod:

Thanks for looking!

That’s some good looking Tri-Tip. As a California (and Nebraska) boy I’m not insulted by you saying it’s not BBQ. To me it is a little more like grilling (same as steak) than it is BBQ.

Yea, while some folks are busy arguing about what to call it, I'll be going back for seconds. haha

Yeah, I can tell you, no one was doing any soul searching about while their mouths were full. It all went pretty fast. I managed to save a little for a stir fry this week and that's about all.

Well, I'm not either. I have been reading some interesting descriptions of 19th Virginia BBQ from eye witnesses.
Prior to the late 1950's, sirloin was not the choice of Santa Maria BBQ, it was the rib roast, and the preference was to cook the entire roast, all 7 to 9 bones. Later, in the early 1960's, as rib roasts and steaks became more popular, top block sirloin was discovered and this became the choice for most large cooks. The Tri-tip, along with the technique of using a hot fire was not really more common until the late '60's and early '70's, when the waste cut was made more popular by media. To this day, if you go to the three major restaurants in the Santa Maria area, Far Western Tavern, Jocko's or The Hitching Post, tri-tip is the after though, the main cut is still the rib steak cooked over oak coals.

Also, if you think about what it takes to cook a prime rib, a 5 to 7 pound hunk of top sirloin to medium rare/medium, and how it often takes 3 to 4 hours to do it, you realize, that it is cooked at temperatures in the 280F to 300F range, over wood coals, it is BBQ.

Prior to the late 1950's, sirloin was not the choice of Santa Maria BBQ, it was the rib roast, and the preference was to cook the entire roast, all 7 to 9 bones. Later, in the early 1960's, as rib roasts and steaks became more popular, top block sirloin was discovered and this became the choice for most large cooks. The Tri-tip, along with the technique of using a hot fire was not really more common until the late '60's and early '70's, when the waste cut was made more popular by media. To this day, if you go to the three major restaurants in the Santa Maria area, Far Western Tavern, Jocko's or The Hitching Post, tri-tip is the after though, the main cut is still the rib steak cooked over oak coals.

Also, if you think about what it takes to cook a prime rib, a 5 to 7 pound hunk of top sirloin to medium rare/medium, and how it often takes 3 to 4 hours to do it, you realize, that it is cooked at temperatures in the 280F to 300F range, over wood coals, it is BBQ.
I've been to Jocko's, It was fantastic! :hungry:

It probably has to do with the fact that it was the first place I ever ate meat like that, in that area, the fact that you chose your steak from larger cuts and they cut it for you, then all the fire, in an open kitchen back in 1968, it is amongst the most memorable experiences I have had around food. And it is all about the beef, they don't even give you your own table all the time.

Looks good enough to eat:grin:, I gotta try those sometime, just wish beef wasn't so farkin expensive:sad:.

If you are ever down in the historic Fredericksburg area let me know and I will hook you up with a nice tri tip, bro.

It probably has to do with the fact that it was the first place I ever ate meat like that, in that area, the fact that you chose your steak from larger cuts and they cut it for you, then all the fire, in an open kitchen back in 1968, it is amongst the most memorable experiences I have had around food. And it is all about the beef, they don't even give you your own table all the time.
Yep. Very few private tables. Mostly all family / farm house seating.

Back