Brisket holding time

Two questions on this.
Will a cooler work if you don't have a Cambro
And doesn't the meat continue to cook if its retaining its heat.

hey, maybe you guys can take this into PM or another thread regarding teammates having differnces of opinions???

to the OP, the best briskets i've had that i've cooked myself were rested for an hour or two wrapped sitting out.

unfortunately i do not have the skill or talent to replicate this timing at a comp. so i cooler/cambro.

He destroyed our brisket this past weekend in a ****ing cambro

Dude don't blame that on the Cambro. It was farked when it came off the heat...:becky:

Dex,

I agree with Matt in that I try to finish my meats to have as little hold time as possible before turn ins. I also agree with his point it's more cost effective and you are better off to buy a another low cost cooker instead of a Cambro if space is an issue.

That being said I find a Cambro to a very beneficial tool especially when it comes to the unpredictability of the big meats. I try to time mine very close but more often than not I wind up holding them for at least an hour. Unlike Matt, I like to minimize the number of variables and would rather hold my meats in the more controlled environment of the cambro than on an open countertop.

As far a specific amount of time you can hold a brisket, I think that is going to vary depending on equipment, outside temp., etc. but I think it's safe to say a large number of people are regularly holding 4-6 hours with good results.

Now you just need to figure out how long works for you. :rockon:

We used a Cambro a little last year, but don't anymore. Perhaps we just weren't venting the big meats enough, but we were getting overcooked results.

We use pizza bags wrapped in fleece blankets now. One for brisket, one for pork. LOTS cheaper than a cambro, breathes a little better. We still vent the big meats first before holding them though.

Thanks Wampus.... we saw you guys at New Pal. You looked busy so we didn't bother you

Aww, dude.....you should have gave a shout out. We were definitely likely busy since we were vending and competing there and it was at two different sites. Not a lot of down time last weekend. Still.....wish you would've stopped by. Would have liked to meet you.

Never thought of that one. Will have to keep it in mind

We used a Cambro a little last year, but don't anymore. Perhaps we just weren't venting the big meats enough, but we were getting overcooked results.

We use pizza bags wrapped in fleece blankets now. One for brisket, one for pork. LOTS cheaper than a cambro, breathes a little better. We still vent the big meats first before holding them though.

Aww, dude.....you should have gave a shout out. We were definitely likely busy since we were vending and competing there and it was at two different sites. Not a lot of down time last weekend. Still.....wish you would've stopped by. Would have liked to meet you.

Back