Brisket holding time

Jacked Up I now see the point you were trying to make. For the record...I hold my briskets in the same $14 28 qt Coleman cooler I've been using for 5 years now (ya I'm superstitious).:biggrin1:

Butts go in the cambro.:heh:

So I take it that your putting your meat back on the heat before turnins. I'm just not getting your point. If your big meats are done 2-4 hours before turnins, your just leaving them set out wrapped on a table? That or there is more to your process than your letting us know. Which is confusing me and I'm sure some others not as seasoned as me.
It's got me thinking I should go throw away all my 1st place brisket trophies n 180 pins because I've been doing it wrong.

just a side note, I cook sooo hot that yes, my brisket can and does sit on a table wrapped in a heavy bath towel ( no not the one I use in the tub, an old one :twitch:) for 2-3 hours easily and will burn my hands when I pull it from the towel and foil.

Im a comp n00b but I dont understand how you time something that is done when its done. I understand timing ribs/chicken but brisket and butts?

You are exactly correct, it is done when it is done, not time, not temp. Do enough though and you will have an idea of about how long the average brisket takes depending on its weight. Like I said above, that sometimes doesn't happen. The brisket we had finish 30 min. before turn in finished a good 3 hours after the other one we cooked that day. Both 15 lbs and both Creekstone Farms Prime Angus briskets. Go figure.

Oh, the brisket that finished 30 minutes before turn in was the one we used and got us a call.

Hey Jacked Up, I have to ask. Are you cooking your briskets to finish as close as possible to turn in or are you re-warming meat back up to a certain temp ? I don't compete much but have been trying both ways.

Hey Jacked Up, I have to ask. Are you cooking your briskets to finish as close as possible to turn in or are you re-warming meat back up to a certain temp ? I don't compete much but have been trying both ways.

When SLed and Matt cook, its a toss up when things are going to be finished. :thumb:

Yes I Did! Lesson learned. Although According To What I Read Above You ShoulD Of Cambro That 27Th Place Chicken! Hahaha

my chicken was perfect until you made those skinny skins if yours, i hope you enjoyed your scraping because it will never happen again!:clap:

two benefits of a holding box for us

1. brisket and pork get done early in the morning and counter space is valuable in a cook trailer

2. i don't like the idea of taking 200* meat off of the cooker and putting it on a stainless steel table in a cold air conditioned cook trailer for the next 5 hours

2. i don't like the idea of taking 200* meat off of the cooker and putting it on a stainless steel table in a cold air conditioned cook trailer for the next 5 hours

I think you should abandon your air conditioned cook trailer and cook under canopies. That will eliminate your need for a cambro.

<tongue in cheek mod>

Back