Brisket for 1250 people

I'm sure the knives will give you nicer slices, but even if you just used a slicer for the flats, it would save you a lot of time.

I ordered 4 different electric knifes, 2 of each just to see how they fair on a big cook. Still packing my good meat slicer and some of my 12" chef knifes just in case for the cook.

Another vote for the mister twister. I've used mine on a lot of briskets, rib roasts and pork loins. Plus loads of crappie and white bass! No problems other than dulling the blades and needing to order replacements.

I've not used the blue one, only the green but have a buddy who can't say enough good about the blue ones. I think they are made for salt water so maybe a little heftier than the green.

Why is there a salt water knife? Bigger fish?

That's my guess, it is a little more expensive so it might also have some anti-corrosion properties. I will find out for sure which ones are built tough and which ones are not for sure. My guys could break an iron anvil with a feather duster somehow!

We are looking at 4oz cooked per person so we are looking at about 400 lbs with the Sysco brand .25" trimmed chain off briskets. We are buying for weight and will adjust how many accordingly. Sysco sells them in approximately 32lbs cases. I have one coming in tomorrow to see the yield.
I inject them with Beef Bullion Minors Blend 2 days before the cook and rub them with SPOG.

Got the first case of brisket in and I am spoiled cooking Costco Prime beef at home. This was ungraded beef from Sysco. Really bad marbling this big cook is going take all of the ways I know to make these good.
Injection with beef broth
Dry rub
Cook to probe tender not temperature (start checking around 193)

Any other tips?

Last edited:
Got the first case of brisket in and I am spoiled cooking Costco Prime beef at home. This was ungraded beef from Sysco. Really bad marbling this big cook is going take all of the ways I know to make these good.
Injection with beef broth
Dry rub
Cook to probe tender not temperature (start checking around 193)

Any other tips?

Cooking hot and fast, I would suspect you will want to take the internal much higher than 193º. Cooking at 325, I would probably look at 205º minimum or higher...

I agree Hog I like to run 325 to 350 most of the time for brisket this one makes me nervous since the cuts are so lean. The one yesterday was ok.

I have a Rapala 12V but it has the 110V adapter. The cord length is very generous and it's a tough knife. But that amount of slicing will put any electric knife to the test. Some equipment has a duty cycle, meaning it's designed for a certain amount of use time, then a certain amount of rest time. Don't know if that applies to electric knives or not.

How many people will be slicing? And hopefully you will have some regular knives for back-up? And the big question... how many briskets are you talking?

Back