Brain Injury BBQ October 12th & 13th Judges & Roll Call (with RESULTS)

Yeah, I agree. Couple of things I thought about, in order for it to be private you have to invite people to come. I thought about when posting our ad in the Tribune, put a little box that says personal invitation in order to attend you must cut this out and bring it with you. There is the invitation the health department is asking for in order for it to be private. The only PROBLEM...the health dpt informed me that they limit that to 100 invitations. How can they do that? I should be able to invite as many or as few people that I want.

The other thing we are going to have a problem with...is I opened my BIG mouth and pi$$ed them off last week. I asked the lady (who is brand new by the way) if they were so against a wings event...if we could have all the teams prepare a baked dish of some kind prior to coming to the event and we sell it there, i.e. a bake sale. (I am not kidding about this. Word for Word this is what she told me)..."well then I would have to inspect everyone's/each teams home and their kitchen where they prepared the food prior to bringing it to sell to the public." LOL!!!! I started to laugh and I said, "well then you will be inspecting homes in Florida and Nebraska, if you have that kind of time on your hands, you go right ahead!" Then the health inspector told me that was uncalled for. I said well what do you do with the teams that don't live here, she said that they could not participate in the baked goods event. I said well....now you are discriminating. CHD is discriminating against teams that don't live in our State. I don't think you can do that can you? Again she got pi$$ed and I thought it would probably be a good idea to end the conversation before it got worse.

That is where we have left it, and this wonderful lady who is brand new to the profession will be out at our contest bright and early Friday morning to make my life a living h_ _ _. As a matter of fact she is not going to issue our permit until she inspects everything first. It should be a lot of fun!!! I will need a few beers after I deal with her.....

Hey Aimee, I want a hug too! We'll cook wings for a hug...
The health dept was at BassPro last year giving me sh*t about not having a seperate handwashing sink. Duh!! We were outside cooking a contest. I dont have an exaust hood over my smoker either, snag me for that, I dare you! They cant make you follow heath codes if you're not selling your food to public.

I bet the way around that for people's choice wings would be make the public buy tickets. They can't regulate tickets... unless they need to be sanitary tickets. :roll: Then the public stuffs tickets into jars with numbers on them that represent the wings that liked best that you GAVE to them. Not sure if that's a way to skate around or not...

I'm sorry but someone is being a prick! Sounds like they may have an interesting time ahead of themselves. And I haven't read anywhere in their rules that say there is a guest limit of 100 invites.
This is copied from BCHD website:
A permit from the Health Department is not required for:

• An establishment that offers only prepackaged non-potentially hazardous foods.
  • A produce stand that offers only whole, uncut fruits and vegetables.
  • A kitchen in a private home if only food that is non-potentially hazardous is prepared for sale or service as part of a not-for profit event. Examples include a religious or non-profit organization having a bake sale.
  • A closed event with only invited guests. The public must not be able to attend without invitation. Examples of closed events include religious gatherings involving members of a church, wedding parties, family reunions, or company picnics.

Ok then it's settled. We're all having a BIG family reunion which happens to take place at a BBQ contest!!! That'll fix em'!!!

You guys are the best...I know you all have my back when I am dealing with this lady...by the way we are serving food to the public, we will have two vendors there, Florida Skin & Bones will be vending and Golden Nugget Popcorn. Golden Nugget is serving BREAKFAST in the morning on Saturday too! 25% of their proceeds go to BIA. So public will get BBQ, hotdogs, popcorn, and Breakfast...can't beat that.

These vendors have had to apply for a permit, get a business license and have insurance in place at the time of the event, a minimum of a 1,000,000.00 policy. I have told anyone that wants to vend go for it and by the way here is the phone number to call the health dpt. I am not dealing with them any further...

So since we will be serving food to the public they will have a watchful eye over all of us. That is why they will not issue our permit for the event until they inspect everything. Which includes, source of water, hoses, electric, extension cords and hoses running across the pavement (hazards if anyone trips) etc...I will be pulling my hair out by the time it is all said and done. I will be jumping through hoops on Friday trying to get our permit.

As far as paying for tickets...doesn't matter, we are still serving the public so the wings thing is out. I don't have enough time in the day as it is with the competition right under our noses, let alone deal with CHD on that issue.

The bottom line, the public will get to try BBQ and if that is not what they are there for (which I can't possibly imagine) we will still have many people out there to reach....and have support BIA.

I think I have everything worked out...at least in my mind whether or not the CHD will go for it is a different story.

Hey Aimee, I want a hug too! We'll cook wings for a hug...
The health dept was at BassPro last year giving me sh*t about not having a seperate handwashing sink. Duh!! We were outside cooking a contest. I dont have an exaust hood over my smoker either, snag me for that, I dare you! They cant make you follow heath codes if you're not selling your food to public.

YUP!!! Hugs for everyone I will add you to Jamey and Jay's list. LOL!!!!!:-D

YUP!!! Hugs for everyone I will add you to Jamey and Jay's list. LOL!!!!!:-D

Wow.....Thanks Aimee.:roll: :roll: :roll: :lol:

Seriously, we've dealt with the CHD before. The trick is to act like they are the authority and don't back down from them at the same time. Everything will be fine, believe me!:wink:

Brain Injury Association BBQ

Just a note to let everyone know we now have 30 teams. The last team came in this evening from Iowa (Smokin' Joe's BBQ), we also have all of our CBJ's for the contest. We are now taking alternate CBJ's. Looks like we have done it. Thanks to everyone for all of your help. Good luck in Herman this weekend. :grin:

Update; we are up to 34 teams and the prize money has also jumped.
Grand is now $1000 and the money in each catagory has increased.
We have a full field of 100% certified judges also.
Game on...........

I think we might be up to 35, one guy has to beg his wife to let him enter....he will get back with me tomorrow. I will let ya'll know. Sounds like this is going to be one heck of a fun competition.

I think we might be up to 35, one guy has to beg his wife to let him enter....he will get back with me tomorrow. I will let ya'll know. Sounds like this is going to be one heck of a fun competition.

Wuss! I do whatever I want and my wife accepts it! :twisted:

Looks like we are next to TEAM Q. Hmmmm wonder if Jay will notice I switched our smokers in the middle of the night.

I got a email from her on thur with the new new map I think.

Sorry, there is a new, new, new map. But disregard it, I am requesting a move.

Just kidding.

Miss Aimee...ya gotta be tough to be involved with this considering the CHD. Girl, if I were in your shoes I would definitely have a few beers before I met with those folks, then again after!!!! Hang tight...be brave and strong; you can do it!

Okay for everyone who is worried about the "new, new, new map" and the "old, new map" and the "not so old, not so new map" I will be emailing the final version Thursday morning at the latest. As you are aware we have added a few more teams, (good thing) (I think????) and we are making a couple of accommodations for those who had prize winning arguments as to their location. Sooooo we are changing the map for the final time, and I will get it to you as soon as I can. We are marking spots early this week (meaning tomorrow or Wednesday morning) and I will have your locations at that time.

The spaces will be 30x35 (give or take a few inches) those who paid extra will get 35x35 (give or take a few inches) and the smaller spaces will be 30 x 17 1/2 (give or take......) I think this is really what everyone wanted to know anyway. See you Friday. If you have questions call or email me. I'll be around.

Back