Brain Injury BBQ October 12th & 13th Judges & Roll Call (with RESULTS)

Thanks John, I appreciate your help. Let me know what you find out! See you in October.

Hey Scott Burke no soft Ball that week, traitor What the heck can't play with us so you got to go get new friends.

Not Fair dude

We voted and you have to have 2/3's majority to cook with us again.

Aimee, did Al (Smokin O's) contact you yet. He is planning to sign up!

Yes sir! Got him down and he will be there! Thanks so much you guys, looks like I have two more spots....how about that, first year we had 5 teams this year we are looking at 30! All I can say is WOW!!!! Thanks so much to all of you for your help!:icon_bigsmil

Hey guys!

Just a thought if we bought some wings would one or two of the teams want to fix those up for the volunteers...i.e. me too...I will buy them if you could prepare them. I am almost positive nobody wants me fixin' anything.

We were going to have a people's choice wings contest (not happening) I think I made the health dept. mad by expressing my opinion. I don't really think they are going to be on our side this year...(just a guess)! If you don't have time to fix the wings no worries...I was just thinkin' Let me know! Thanks!

I don't understand any of the health depts. Here in Cole County every weekend almost there are charitable organizations that sell BBQ at a grocery store parking lot here in Jefferson City. First off I know that according to Cole County Health Dept rules you must have a screened in area for your BBQ pit and none of these have one. I know this because I went about half way through the BS with them myself until I decided it was better for me not to deal with them.

So anyway, these non-profs can sell their BBQ and not have to follow the health codes so why do you have to in Boone County for a wing fling for the public. If you ask me, someone at the health dept. has their oxygen cut off to their brain cause their head is up their a$$.
I know that the health code rules differ county to county, but do food borne bacteria discriminated on which county they go to?
3_3_25.gif

We are Boone County. We know what is good for you. Resistance is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.

I don't understand any of the health depts. Here in Cole County every weekend almost there are charitable organizations that sell BBQ at a grocery store parking lot here in Jefferson City. First off I know that according to Cole County Health Dept rules you must have a screened in area for your BBQ pit and none of these have one. I know this because I went about half way through the BS with them myself until I decided it was better for me not to deal with them.

So anyway, these non-profs can sell their BBQ and not have to follow the health codes so why do you have to in Boone County for a wing fling for the public. If you ask me, someone at the health dept. has their oxygen cut off to their brain cause their head is up their a$$.
I know that the health code rules differ county to county, but do food borne bacteria discriminated on which county they go to?
3_3_25.gif

AMEN BROTHER! I hear ya! Like I said I am pretty sure after my conversation(s) with them the last week and a 1/2 they are in no position to cut us a break! Oh well I was the one that spoke my mind (I did it to myself) I have no reason to complain other than they are the hardest group of people to get along with. PLUS to add to it....the health inspector that is assigned to our competition just started with the health department...yep brand spakin' new....green around the collar.....she will be looking at every little detail to assure she doesn't miss a beat. AND we didn't exactly get off on the right foot with each other either. Should be interesting to say the least.

AMEN BROTHER! I hear ya! Like I said I am pretty sure after my conversation(s) with them the last week and a 1/2 they are in no position to cut us a break! Oh well I was the one that spoke my mind (I did it to myself) I have no reason to complain other than they are the hardest group of people to get along with. PLUS to add to it....the health inspector that is assigned to our competition just started with the health department...yep brand spakin' new....green around the collar.....she will be looking at every little detail to assure she doesn't miss a beat. AND we didn't exactly get off on the right foot with each other either. Should be interesting to say the least.

If it is on private property and no one is selling food, they have no reason to be there and can not carry out any kind of inspections. Boone Co. Health Dept. is a Pain in the Arse!! Don't let them push you around. Just ask them to leave.

If it is on private property and no one is selling food, they have no reason to be there and can not carry out any kind of inspections. Boone Co. Health Dept. is a Pain in the Arse!! Don't let them push you around. Just ask them to leave.

Yeah we are serving food there....should have just kept my damn mouth shut.....it will be okay...really the vendors have to deal with them. Unless the health dept. feels they have to get too pushy...then I will ask them if they want to try some of the wings (Spice) is cooking for us. :wink: Okay I better stop there...don't want this to get to out of control...:icon_sleepy

Hey Scott Burke no soft Ball that week, traitor What the heck can't play with us so you got to go get new friends.

Not Fair dude

We voted and you have to have 2/3's majority to cook with us again.

Come on Brother don't be hurt I still love you guy's.LOL

This is the list of teams I have so far....
Chick N' Pig,
Come N Git It,
Belly Brothers,
Pitt Fusion,
Beam Boys,
Big Un's BBQ,
Team Q,
Critter Cookers,
Muchin Hogs @ The Hilton,
Great Grills O' Fire,
Set it & Forget it,
In Deep Sauce,
Muddy River Boys,
Barn to Grill,
Trail Bros. BBQ,
Smokin til the Sun Comes Up,
Bubba & Jeffs,
Worley's BBQ,
Pink Eyed Parrot BBQ,
The Tamblyn Group (Aimee's Dad),
Roo-B-Q'N,
We'll Smoke You,
Callaway Creamators,
River City Smokehouse,
Jon El's BBQ,
Florida Skin & Bones.

Out of this 26 teams, 11 of them (that I recognize) are posting visitors to the Brethren website...with 2 more that I know of that visit but don't post.

(I'm still trying to figure out if Florida Skin and Bones is from the state of Florida or from Florida MO....maybe Aimee will let us know where from. Anyway, from contest search results, they know what they are doing)

Nebraska gents....glad to have you come to our little corner of the BBQ world.....this won't be an easy contest, but it sure as hell WILL be a mini bash!! Bring extra beer for Becky!! :twisted:

We might even get ol' JT to stop in and say HI!

Last edited:
Out of this 26 teams, 11 of them (that I recognize) are posting visitors to the Brethren website...with 2 more that I know of that visit but don't post.

(I'm still trying to figure out if Florida Skin and Bones is from the state of Florida or from Florida MO....maybe Aimee will let us know where from. Anyway, from contest search results, they know what they are doing)

Nebraska gents....glad to have you come to our little corner of the BBQ world.....this won't be an easy contest, but it sure as hell WILL be a mini bash!! Bring extra beer for Becky!! :twisted:

We might even get ol' JT to stop in and say HI!

The team is from the STATE of Florida, and in these parts that gives me bragging rights on our competition :wink: Way to go guys....again couldn't do it without you.

Just so everyone knows, the team formerly known as saucebaron.com is now named Trail Boss BBQ. We just figured it went with our catering and our sauces. So if anyone was wandering who the heck we were. There's your 411!

The problem with the "Private Property" issue is that because you have it open to the public, it becomes the business of Boone County and can be regulated by them. I've spent some time this morning reading their health code and they also have a page dedicated to BBQ contests, Hmmmm..., they seem to be pretty aggressive.
Click here to read

If an event is 'invitation only' then it looks like they have no jurisdiction. From what I read into this the BCHD could make it interesting for the individual teams if they choose. As far as definitions go, each team is considered to be a food establishment since they are preparing, cooking, and serving food to the public(judges). But sounds like there is a fine line when it comes to judges. The 'Public' who will be judging are invitation only so it seems to me that BCHD doesn't have any jurisdiction on the contestants. I bet if they wanted to push it though they could have their way. I'm just ranting. After owning and operating three restaurants throughout the years has left me a little bitter when it comes to the health dept. thing.
36_2_49.gif

According to what Aimee told me, she said the CHD had no jurisdiction on teams because the judges are invited. She had a clever idea to be able to "invite" the public to take part in a people's choice. No idea if she's going to give it a try though! :lol:

I have had plenty of dealings with the CHD!! I Worked in Columbia Restaurants for 13 years. They came up to our team at a Boone Co. Fair event about 3 years ago and I challenged them to enforce the City health Code on us at a " give away food contest " They promptly left and I never saw them again. I would have told them that if they were going to bust my balls than I want them to inspect every wedding and church picnic, Graduation, Boy Scout Jamboree--Etc. Needless to say they would back off!!

The shame is that Columbia could have so many festivals that generate thousands of dollars but are chased away by the Health Dept.

Funny!! They looked the other way at the Roots and Blues BBQ that drew 60,000 people!!

Money Talks and B. S Walks

Back